1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Brother offended.....pt.2

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Jan 26, 2016.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line is that 99 percent of the time we don't even know the other people. These are just words on a virtual page....ideas....and it is these words, ideas, and expressions we deal with. There is no need for people to get offended by the words of others, but we would do well to realize words here are expressions of ourselves. What I find offensive at times is the expressed character of people on this board, to include myself. This is where we should step in and pull a brother back. When we insult or attack other people, our intent turns back on us as we expose absolutely nothing of our "opponent" but instead reveal much about our own character and weaknesses.

Sent from my TARDIS

#41 JonC, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

[​IMG]

;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have looked at all the new emoticons offered and like them all. But I can't help but notice there is one missing.

Does anyone have one of a guy hanging from a telephone wire with his pants on fire? :D :D :D

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I bet Benjamin does.

Sent from my TARDIS

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Found this pic while I was searching, talk about a bad day:
    [​IMG]

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best I can do:
    [​IMG]

Not sure one exists, but please don't take it too harshly!

[​IMG]

7. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

This is pretty close to his pants being on fire

f15da9d226acdc24f2c95b147773d7dc93faccaf_m.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I have no recollection of ever having a conversation with you before. As far I know this is our first interaction. It seemed like you were coming "out of the blue" to have fun at my expense then tried to impress me or your self with your "superior intellect". I do take offense to that. I don't consider anyone inferior to me and see no reason why I should be talked to as if I were inferior.

One of the things that I find interesting on this board is the people who normally tell me I lack critical thinking skills and call me a "conspiracy theroist"" are the same ones who consistently rule out evidence or information before they even consider it.

Take the person who, and there are many that will rule out evidence or information by claiming a source has a "bias". Example, "that source is a liberal therefore nothing they say is true" or visa versa "that source is conservative therefore nothing they say is true".

I fail to see how that can rightly be called critical thinking. To my mind one who will refuse to consider evidence or information based on another's bias isn't interested in finding the truth at all.

They are more interested in protecting a long held belief or paradigm that's been formed through a consistent rejection of evidence or information that threatens their belief or paradigm.

I've done a fairly in depth study of propaganda so I can recognize it when I see it. Most people won't take the time to do that.

Now, I understand that our "education system" is geared to turn out compliant workers who won't question authority and will dutifully follow orders instead of critical thinking individuals. So I understand how difficult it is for them to do something they have little or no training in but to have them tell me my critical thinking skills are lacking because I don't think like them is frustrating to say the least.

One cannot "draw out the truth" if they are rejecting evidence or information before it's been seen or heard. Sorry but that's not critical thinking. That's "stinking thinking".

Rejecting evidence or information to protect a paradigm is not critical thinking. Rejecting evidence or information because it comes from outside one's group or circle is not critical thinking.

Being open to new ideas evidence and information while having the ability to recognize propaganda and bias for what it is and "reading through it" and then doing the research to verify it or reject it is critical thinking.

Sadly this is not a skill that is not taught in school. Conforming to the consensus is being taught. Group think is being taught.

Not thinking at all is being taught. Look around this board there are people here who communicate in images and slogans.

It's extremely frustrating. It's like trying to carry on an adult conversation with a spoiled 2nd grader or Pee Wee Herman who think that have all the answers already and the way to deal with people who try to introduce them to new ideas evidence or information is to ridicule them.

I dunno Ben. I truly wonder if this generation is even capable of carrying on a discussion without being offended or offending another.

9. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd like to remind everyone that we have an IGNORE function here.

Here is an idea.... read a simple debate here then read one on Puritanboard. I have found that they are capable of debating issues without making things personal.

At times, some of the comments made by some of the people here are on the Youtube Comments level....myself included.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1