1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Day of Unrest and Riots in Atlanta and the Most Powerful Job in the Country

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Steven Yeadon, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm attempting to practice journalistic writing. The following is an attempt at objective news.

A black man fell asleep in his car while at a Wendy's drive-thru in Atlanta. Cars started going around him and the police were called. The man, named Rayshard Brooks failed a sobriety test and became agitated when he was arrested. He ends up in a scuffle with police, and grabs one police officer's taser. He runs away and turns around to use the taser but misses one of the officers in pursuit. He is shot three times afterwards while his back is to police.

The Chief of the Atlanta PD has resigned. She believes it is best to build trust with the community.

The police officer that shot Rayshard Brooks while running away has been terminated and may face charges. The other officer on the scene is on administrative leave.

Rioting broke out tonight in Atlanta. The Wendy's where the incident occurred was burned down by arsonists. Several vehicles suffered arson. A CNN news crew was attacked by the rioters and a camera was destroyed.

The family of Rayshard Brooks has hired an attorney, L. Chris Stewart. He said the following, which in itself is newsworthy.

"Police officers are the only job in this country where they can take your life, liberty and freedom," Stewart said. "It's the most powerful job in the country."

He went on to compare police officers to lawyers and doctors. He argued that police must be held up to the standard of an Attorney or doctor from now on.

Atlanta officer who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks has been terminated - CNN

• Like Like x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :(

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer to question #1: He was bigger and stronger than the cops. If you have never attempted to handcuff a strong man that is resisting you cannot understand.

Answer to question #2: He did not out run them. As they closed on him, he turned to fire the tazer at the officer and was shot.

peace to you

4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Children get into a “scuffle” on the playground. Every time a police officer is fought, the officer is fighting for his life. If he loses, he has to assume he will be killed by his own weapon.

The tazer was taken. It was fired at the officer. If the officer is hit by the tazer, he loses the fight. He is immobilized. He must assume he will be killed. I suspect he followed his training concerning use of force.

I believe this officer will not face charges. He may even get his job back, if he wants it.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why did he fight the police? Just submit to the arrest and hash this out in the court system where 99% of these type of cases are resolved. The man was complicit in his own death.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The tazer is non-lethal alternative to firearms. It will immobilize most people, though it doesn’t work on everyone.

The training the officer received will be crucial in this case. If he had been trained to consider a stolen tazer as a weapon justifying lethal force and followed that training, he will not face charges, imo

peace to you

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In this current environment they will hang him out to dry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt it. But if they do, it will go to trial, in that case, and the jury will decide. We trust the system.

peace to you

9. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yep, it's the system and it's too bad the man in question did not take advantage of it. 1. Get arrested. 2.Go to jail for the weekend. 3. Get bailed out on Monday. 4. Wait for future court date. 5. After this is all over resolve to never put yourself in the same situation ever again.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another resisting arrest fatality. Stealing a police officer's taser and trying to run off with it.

Not very bright.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If I was a white cop right now I would think twice about how I responded to a black man in this type of situation. Is it worth it to maybe have my career ended and face legal charges if the situation escalates? Nope, I don't think so. Let the drunk run off and get him later as we have his car and his personal information. Oh, and when you go to get him, make sure it's black police officers who go to do the takedown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why was he shot?

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm surprised no one brought attention to what has to be an unreal statement given what police are paid and how overworked I hear they are.

"Police officers are the only job in this country where they can take your life, liberty and freedom," Stewart said. "It's the most powerful job in the country."

He went on to compare police officers to lawyers and doctors. He argued that police must be held up to the standard of an Attorney or doctor from now on.
    If police officers are more powerful and skilled than doctors, I mean what does that portend about the future of police? What education, training, certification, and compensation are required?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did he resist arrest, assault the police, take a policeman's stun weapon, and point the policeman's stun weapon at the policeman?

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used the wrong word, I should have used "fight" instead. Thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still though, he was effectively shot in the back after missing with that stun weapon. Another split second decision that went wrong on the part of the police officer. He has been terminated and may face charges. Charges sound too much IMO, though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard from a former FBI agent on cable news that the training is to use deadly force if someone attempts to taze you. The reason being that if immobilized they can go for your gun.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps the torso and head targets on the range could be replaced with leg targets.

• Like Like x 1
  19. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was in high school in the 70s. They brought some convicts in to speak to us. One showed us his scar on the back of his leg which left him with a permanent limp. Shot in the leg with a shotgun while fleeing police after a robbery.

Seems like cops always had shotguns back then. Never really hear about them these days.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you kill him for that?

• Useful Useful x 1