1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Day of Unrest and Riots in Atlanta and the Most Powerful Job in the Country

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Steven Yeadon, Jun 14, 2020.

1. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. But I also don't judge a cop in a moment of danger like this. Personally, I would have attempted to shoot the armed assailant in the legs when he turned towards me with the tazer.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I stated above, disabling violent fleeing criminals was common police practice in the past and IMO still should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That goes back to Korea when my dad was on MP duty guarding a AWOL prisoner attempting an escape. Dad shot him in the lower extremities.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yeah? When was that?

When did the policy change? Why was it changed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Makes sense, but in this case there was another officer present.

6. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have been hearing differing opinions on the radio today. One was by a long time prosecutor who said that deadly force in this instance was not warranted because this was not a deadly weapon. Then a NYC Detective with over 30 years experience who has investigated many incidents like this said that many things could legally considered deadly weapons like sticks, bricks, cars etc. He maintained that from what he saw the shooting was justified. Looks like a job for a jury again.

7. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not to exonerate the officer, but he had just been fighting with the man, his adrenalin was pumping, it was getting to be a serious situation (live or die) for him maybe, and he was narrowly focused. Then as the guy get's away, turns with the taser, points it and he reacted. We are all here commenting in a restful situation, but the last time I was in a fight I was very focused and I felt just like how I described how the cop was probably feeling.

8. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Come on, don't pull a Biden on us now. In such a situation the training is always shoot at the center mass of your opponent. The whole idea is to get on target and stop the threat as quickly as possible. Even with a shotgun it's center mass to stop the threat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The video shows the cop drawing his weapon after the man turns and fires at him.

As I said, his training will be crucial in this case. Was he trained to consider a stolen tazer as a weapon justifying lethal force?

The idea of shooting someone in the leg is nonsense. If lethal force is justified, you shoot center mass.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does seem to me the policy has changed. The shooting of and abusive manhandling of people (of all colors) trying to resist or get away is not like it was when I was a teenager. I speak from experience having ran from the cops countless times, used to look them in the face and tell I was going to run if they tried to arrest me for curfew and that there was noting they could do to stop me and that they wouldn't be able to catch me with a smurk on my face (I was a champion wrestler, could run a 6 mile and could hop a 5' fence with a one hand touch). I used to hate cops and hang out with a group of guys that would throw grapefruit at their cars from the alley as a sport to get them to chase us, etc. Today, I have little doubt that they would shoot me for my antics!

In fact, there was one instance, when I was 17, where they grabbed me in a parking lot for curfew and 5 cops wrestled with me for over 10 minutes to try to cuff me and put me in the car. When they finally got me in I was bleeding from my mouth, nose, hands, knees and especially my wrist from pivoting on the asphalt and after sitting in the car for about 15 minutes they let me out! That was a surprise, but I always figured it was because I was a juvenile that was looking really beat up and they didn't want answer for or be held responsible for the condition I was in over a curfew charge. Again, today I think my actions may very well had lead to my serious injury or even death.

I could tell many stories that would seem unbelievable today that I would still be alive.

IMO, things have changed.

#30 Benjamin, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We were trained that due to the ability to immobilize and disable, pepper spray and tazer can justify deadly force.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only problem is training is to shoot in the chest. We are specifically trained not to shoot at arms and legs.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They let you go becausec hey didnt want to deal with juvenile court.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    from youtube

Some one previously posted that a cop should take time before firing his weapon.
    Well, with that thinking - the cop may be dead before he finishes his thinking.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From responding officer cam. Starts with Brooks still passed out in the car in the drive thru line.

Rayshard Brooks shooting police bodycam footage from Wendy's parking lot

WARNING: Video contains disturbing images and sound. Viewer discretion is advised. (Higher quality version available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhdpG...) Atlanta Police have released bodycam and dashcam footage showing the moments leading to the fatal shooting of Rayshard Brooks in a Wendy's parking lot. The shooting happened late Friday night at the fast food restaurant on University Avenue. This is the first 42-minutes of the 1 hour, 23 minute video from the body cam of Officer Devin Brosnan. The name of a person not involved in this incident has been removed from the audio track. The rest is unedited.​

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stupidity.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a good chance the officer would be disciplined, possibly even suspended for losing his taser.

18. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is supposed to be the distinction between liberty and freedom?

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Roflmao

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont like the taser. I see it as a liability. Once you draw it, you have to keep it secured. If carrying it in a regular holster, you have to keep it secured when not drawn.
    I am still trying to figure out exactly why this is a bad shoot. It appears to be text book.