1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Helpful Article about the Text Forms

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Mark Corbett, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw in the comments on "The KJVO Movement is Headed Down" thread that many of you are interested in issues related to the best form of the Greek text.

This reminded me that just about a month ago, a friend of mine sent me an unpublished (but possibly to be published) article on this topic. Now, I know only a tiny bit about this, not nearly enough to have a confident informed opinion of my own. But the friend who sent me the article is Tim Friberg, who is known world wide for the excellent resources he has produced which help pastors and teachers like myself study the Greek text. Tim has written his own articles on text forms, but he seems to think this one is even better than his own (which means it must really be good, imo).

I have attached the article to this post. The author has given permission to me and to you and to everyone to read and share this. Tim gave this brief bio of the author:

Glenn J. Kerr, translation resource consultant for Bibles International, part of Baptist Mid-Missions, has worked for 22 years with translation projects involving over 30 people-groups in various parts of the world. He has an M.A. in Hebrew and Semitic Studies from UW-Madison, has done graduate studies in linguistics at Michigan State University, and is currently working on doctoral studies.

Enjoy! Don't expect me to engage much in any discussion, as this area is interesting to me yet outside my area of focus.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have downloaded to read later. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need a "Thank you" button!

Rob

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good article! It articulates the 'Byzantine Priority position very well. :)

5. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member
    Site Supporter

I've downloaded it to read most of it later. However, reading the first eight pages, I think it is a great article. Especially, since I agree with his view on the Byzantine Priority position. Thank you for providing it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another one to look at, as a good compare and contrast.
    The Majority Text and the Original Text: Are They Identical?

7. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That title is based on a false premise. No competent textual critic claims the MT is identical to the autographs. Even the most radical of the MT proponents, Wilbur Pickering, says only that Family 35 has a demonstrable archetypal form in all 27 books. His later works do seem to indicate he equates Family 35 with the autographs, but there is no unbroken line of transmission to substantiate that assertion.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I some reservations and questions about the article By Glenn Kerr.

He quotes William R. Farmer (p.27) several times. Once Farmer says, regarding Sinaiticus ;"...the pages that omit the ending of Mark are not original part of the MS."

Where can this claim be verified? What New Testament textual critics believe that?

Kerr again quotes Farmer (p.29):"But Alexandrian scholars were also guided by other principles in making their omissions...This principle called for the omission of any passage which was regarded as offensive to or unworthy of the gods."

I find the above preposterous. It sounds like the bunk some KJVO folks spew.

On page 30 Kerr says:"Many of the early papyri are from the second century, the period regarded by most as the time of greatest attack on the text of the N.T."

By that I guess he wants the reader to assume that the compilers were copying theological aberrations.

On page 31 Kerr states :"...the vast number of newly discovered Byzantine MSS lie languishing for lack of interest..."

Which ones? Be specific. I'm sure your Byzantine Priority compatriots are eagerly examining them.

Kerr's objectivity is nullified by his words on page 34:"Why defend a text with such lousy credentials and such a lack of historical basis..."

Whew, he doesn't sound like a sound textual critic at all. (Pun intended.)

Kerr's preoccupation with a cloying Egyptianitis is evident throughout, starting with his title. It continues with "Why would he have gone to the puddle of Alexandria for anything? (p.28) "The lure of Egypt"; "But we have to be willing to leave Egypt, as it were." and other annoyances are certainly off-putting.

#9 Rippon, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no originals available, so there would be no perfect copies of them available.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does seem that those advocating for the Bzt text are seeing those holding with the critical text as holding to the times when "satan" got into corrupting the texts, which is what the KJVO advocate also!

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As stated this is not a logical conclusion. It is not that there could be "no perfect copies" available just because the originals aren't available -- it is that there is no way to compare them to demonstrate the fact.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it can't be stated as fact.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There can only be perfect copies if God intended that to be, and do not think that He kept intact 100% the Originals to us for today, but that does not mean that we do not have essentially the eord of God to us today!

15. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeshua1, my only point is that your second statement is not a logical conclusion that flows from the first statement.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another helpful link on this issue
    How We Got the Bible

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, but that is the stupidest, and most non-factual, thing I have ever read on this forum. (And I have read some really stupid things on this forum.)

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeshua1 being illogical? Say it isn't so! LOL!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you denying that those holding to KJVO would see the early copies as somehow all getting corrupted, andjust those iaway from Alexandria avoided that fate?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might not like my views, but they are not illogical!

• Funny Funny x 1