1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Plea for Civility

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Old Union Brother, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well some do use it as a sounding board. Ive seen in the past undue attacks on people who (Heaven Forbid) have different belief systems & sometimes its even shameful. And Ive even participated so I can well testify to the problem having experienced it 1st hand.

The OP from the Brother is a call to Christian Civility....quite a rare post around here. I for one would hike to head it!

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go back and read my post. I caught it!

I reiterate, there's people whose skin is too thin to be on a debate forum.

(I'm sure IQ comes in play somewhere also)

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Sorry, it was hard to tell because your accusation that he was being too "thin skinned" seemed unwarranted considering his point. He wasn't expressing that these posts were themselves unruly, but that they were the cause of unruly responses due to their being overtly misrepresentative.

I'm sure it does. :type:

4. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

do you hold that all men have inherit free will and faith residing in them "naturally" that would allow ALL to decide to accept/reject Jesus?

if yes, how can you deny the fact that you DO elevate man will to be the determing factor in/of salvation process?

5. mandym

mandym New Member

Good! That is a reasonable way to present your concern without telling someone else what they believe. Nice Job!:thumbs:

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. Skandelon

If it is God's will that man makes a free choice (meaning being willingly able to accept or reject) then it is NOT US doing the 'elevating.' In fact, it is God's will and plan for salvation. So, accusing us of doing the 'elevating' assumes that our doctrine is false and not 'of God's doing.' Suppose God WANTS free moral creatures. Are you suggesting He couldn't create free moral creatures if that was His desire? Are you suggesting that if indeed he did will to create libertarianly free creatures that His will would be subverted or subjected by creating what he wanted? See what I'm saying? Our view doesn't elevate anything. Our view is simply that this is what God wanted, so He created it this way.

Secondly, I've explained how I believe it is the Calvinistic view that actually 'elevates' the view of lost mankind. Which is worse: A person who rejects God because he was born that way, or a person who freely rejects God despite God's provisions, love and genuine appeals for reconciliation? I say the latter, what do you think?

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Right, "if" except it's not according to freewill, so your point is moot.

Man? Jesus said he is not free until the Son sets him free via truth.

In addition to this, it is God who chose us, not our "freewill" choosing Him.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not here on this thread to give Youse (I'm from NJ) my own opinions of Theology; The OP is still another plea to Christian civility.

John tells us in chapter 5:13 that his whole object in writing to the folks he wrote to was "That you who believe on the Son of God might know that you have eternal life". that statement positively gives assurance to the "Believer"

But you may ask, "How does he give it to them?' GOOD Question.....bottom line, there are some tests that the "believer" can apply to him or herself.

The most important test is this, "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren."

So I'm askin a simple question of all of you in BB, "Do you love the brethren?" & can you honestly say that you would sooner be with the brethren than with anybody else, that you have found that people whom you do not like by nature you can love as Christians because they are, with you, children of God?

I would suppose this requires some contemplation by us all.:godisgood:

God Bless

#50 Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  11. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks for those kind words, Skandelon! I think I will have to say no to being a moderator, at least for the time being. Even as an ordinary poster, I have been finding myself spending far too long on the BB, and this sometimes results in there being not enough time for my church responsibilities, so you will notice that my rate of posting goes down in the future.

Thanks again, and God bless you richly!

12. Skandelon

Again, you prove yourself to be a wise man.... :applause:

13. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quick! Emesis basins, where are they?

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you and I believe that those who respond with insults show their IQ is low enough that they cannot get their point across rationally and with politeness. :wavey:

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Smart Move!!!

16. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

The basic problem with your held views regarding this is that it would apply to Man, but ONLY would work in pre fall state for/of Adam!

he could 'freely" choose to obey the Lord or not, after His sin, he lost his free moral agency, and that is our state now...

mankind NOT free moral agents any longer, so God must save us by act of His divine Will, and elect us to be enabled to even be able to accept Christ!