1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A problem that i cant handle any longer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by GarretHlemn, Mar 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GarretHlemn

GarretHlemn New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i made this account just to ask what do i do... im underaged for this forum website, heres my story.
    Theres this one kid in church i go to that is slapping me and pushing me around, i have practiced taekwondo for 8 years and im a blue belt. i have completed many tournaments and i go to a traditional school hard as korea, i want to fight back but i dont know if its "good" to defend myself in a baptist church. my parents wouldnt understand and they have no clue of what happends while im there. please tell me :(

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course they will. They used to be kids.

That is probably because you didn't tell them. Talk to them.

• Like Like x 2
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Parents are there to guide you, protect you and teach you. Tell them what is going on. They will handle it.

4. Rlee

Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with the previous advice. Having taken martial arts, I understand the struggle regarding when to defend. To my own son I say this, if you believe someone is really trying to hurt you and not just playing around, you have my permission to defend, but it's always best to speak with your parents first, and maybe together with your Pastor, if this is an ongoing problem. Do your parents go to church with you? If not, my suggestion is you speak directly with your youth Pastor or church Pastor.

5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think about that, lol: is it any better to defend yourself in a Baptist Church than it is for this guy to be bullying you there?

I was on a job once where one guy was in the face of another guy, and bigger then he. You could telll the guy on the receiving end was embarrassed, and struggling to hold his control. Found out after this that the guy being reamed was a black belt and would have, excuse me, whupped the other guy from here to Kalamzoo.

The point? I had more respect for the man's self control than I would have had if he had yielded to his urge to implement his training.

Takes more of a man to deal with issues like these in that manner than to give in to the desire to strike out. You will be a better man for it, in my view, if you use this opportunity to work on self control and gaining mastery over pride. I too agree with the other members, better for this to be dealt with by those in authority at the Church than for you to "defend" yourself, which is not, in my view, a defense, seeing you are trained in martial arts.

Guys like that show up sometimes, get used to it.

And welcome to the Forum, hope to see you around the boards discussing Doctrinal matters. I pray the Lord will work this out for you.

God bless.

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try a really hard rising block next time he tries to slap you. A good block, bone on bone, can be very painful and hopefully discourage him from further bullying, but at the same time all you've done is block, not strike or kick.

A friend of mine once blocked a punch with a rising arm and broke his opponent's arm.

I hold several black belts. Keep up the good work on your Taekwondo.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hi Garrett, I would try talking to the kid about it first, let him know in no uncertain terms that you want his behaviour to stop, if it does not you will need to speak with your youth pastor or other members of the ministry team at your fellowship along with your mum and dad.

In terms of Taekwondo, be careful my friend, Taekwondo needs a lot of room to execute the techniques and in a close situation as most fights are it may well not work for you in the way you think it will. Your Sabunim will not take kindly to learning that you have used it as a first cause of a fight, but if you are first attacked and have to defend your self, that is another thing. In terms of Martial Arts I would encourage you to take the next step into Hapkido which focuses more on defensive locks and holds and resembles Aikido in many ways, you will feel a lot better the following day if you have used your opponents own strength to overcome him and justly defended yourself as opposed to how you will feel if you strike him multiple times and do damage. Trust me, its a very empty hollow feeling and not at all like what is suggested in a Hollywood movie.