A Question for Arminians (or no-name theology believers)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by glfredrick, Mar 23, 2011.

1. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Airhead? From someone who has maintained and is in the same camp as the "faith is the gift spoken of in Ephesians 2" group? At least you are coming around to the truth found in the greek that pas refers back to the whole of "by grace you are saved through faith". Is there any question why you are called a troll, btw?

2. DeaconPhil Member
    Site Supporter

I am in that third option camp too. I guess that's why to an Arminian I am a Calvinist and to a Calvinist I'm an Arminianist. Maybe we should come up with our own name?

3. quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

4. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So no one is under the wrath of God then,according to your view.If Christ appeased,satisfied, the wrath of God -- no one will be condemned.Better empty the residents of Hell pronto per your theory.

5. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I added a needed phrase in case I was misunderstood. Christ certainly averted the wrath of the Father from the elect.

6. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice that both you & I & Aaron have been called troll on this form at one time or another. Perhaps we should make that a subcategory in our profiles? LOL

Honestly its getting kinda week but ...

7. menageriekeeper Active Member

GL, JD, I didn't mean to just drop out of the conversation. Last time I looked, there was NO conversation. Of course that was two days ago before GL posted on page 12.

Today started out bad and continues to be not very good. I can't concentrate enough at the moment to respond coherently or for that matter comprehend what you are saying. Hopefully, I can do so later this evening. Otherwise I'll come back as soon as I can.

8. Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

They go to hell because of their unbelief, not for the curse of the law. How many times does this need to be explained before you properly represent it? I'm not asking you to agree, just understand.

Read THIS, maybe it will help...

9. glfredrick New Member

No problem... Lifting you up! :praying:

10. glfredrick New Member

Really? Hell is populated because of people's unbelief?

That would make James (and by default, God) a liar, for didn't he pen that the demons also believe? Negates a lot of other Scripture as well.

Jam 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

11. psalms109:31 Active Member

Faith without deeds

Doesn't that have to do with faith without deeds?

James 2:
    Faith and Deeds
    14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
    18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[Some early manuscripts dead ]? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”[Gen. 15:6 ] and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

12. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey thats pretty good, one of my favorites too....so is James 1:12 Blessed is the man who perserves under trial.... you know the rest.

13. psalms109:31 Active Member

In the dark

I love scripture, in the end it is what will preserve and He preserves us by the power of God and His word.

Romans 6:22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.

14. glfredrick New Member

Yup... But it also says that the demons "believe" but tremble because "belief alone" is not all that it takes to gain eternity with Christ. :thumbs:

15. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it wasn't intended to be ad hominim anymore than your use of of the term "Strawman." I would call your argument the Airhead Argument.

Anyway, still pressed for time.

16. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You can surely come up with a much better excuse of justifying your immaturity than that, pressed for time or not. Does mommy need her laptop back?

17. psalms109:31 Active Member

Amen

Romans 4:
    4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. 6 David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
    7 “Blessed are those
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
    8 Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”[ Psalm 32:1,2]

John 6:45
    It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me.

John 14:24
    Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

Matthew 11:29
    Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

It all starts with trust and that is what the prophets told us before His coming to prepare us. Jesus teaches us what to believe and how to believe. We can't do anything or have life without His word. We must listen and learn just as we are dead in sin and He will give us life eternal.

18. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wish I had that Rollin around laughin icon....this board needs to add some :thumbs: will have to do.

19. Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

We are speaking of saving faith here, I thought that was a given. As pointed out, faith that doesn't lead to works (obedience) is not really "faith."

The only difference between those in heaven and those in hell is their faith. (saving faith) I could list dozens of scripture which indicate that unbelief (lack of faith) is why men perish. Do I need to do so?

20. menageriekeeper Active Member

I think day's chaos is over. (I hope) I still have work to accomplish but, I didn't have to drive to Atlanta to pick my husband up so the day did get better! I appreciate the prayers.

All quotes are from posts numbers 114-115 by GLFrederick.

No. Christ's blood has the potential to cover all sins of all people, but not until it has been applied: Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.

Unbelief is BOTH a positional shift and a sin that needs to be forgiven.

What does the Bible say? I quoted one verse above but this one is perhaps more clear:
    Act 10:43
    To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

I said I get called a universalist, not that I am one. I'm not Arminian either. But I get called one or the other or both so often that I feel led to live up to my reputation. :D (which means I'm being sarcastic every time I use either word to describe myself)

Since it only takes example to disprove a theory, how about this (even though I know you dislike proof texting):
    Mat 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not.

Was it God's will that Israel rebel? Or did God's will come about in spite of their rebellion?

Yes, there are many examples of God electing people to certain positions of greater usefulness to His purposes, but all were already believers (or at least sought to do God's will, even if mistaken in how to do that. ie Paul). I don't find an example of an nonbeliever elected/forced to do anything, but what they were already bent toward doing. ie Pharoh or Nebuchadnezer (sp).

I'm being interupted so more later.....