1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Question regarding KJVO

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Keith Mullins, Nov 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So we know what the scriptures do not teach, according to you. You are an expert on this but you don't ever tell us what they do teach. We have the most wonderful and magnificent word of God that contains promises from God himself while claiming to be from him, and you never offer any praise to God for it. You live in the negative and if a person listened to you for a long time, like I have, he would want to shoot himself. You refuse to quote from anything you think might resemble the word of God and once in a while you will string 15 or 20 references together knowing full well no one is going to look them up.

You are one unique preacher for sure.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJVO myth is entirely man-made; the origin of the current edition of it are presented in the "Bible versions" forum. It's not found in Scripture at all, even in the KJV itself. This myth was invented by Satan, who influenced certain men to write books that would influence other men to make it into a doctrine. Satan's purposes in making it are to cause strife & dissend among & between congregations and to cast doubt upon perfectly-legitimate translations of God's word, hoping to hinder its spread. Unfortunately, he's had some success with his plan. We see this in the thralldom some people have to this myth, as though it has some sorta hex on them, causing them to believe a lie.

Any translation of the KJV or any other English version into another language will lose something in translation, same as translating a French Bible into English would lose something.

However, sometimes necessity steps in. John Eliot made a translation of the Geneva version into the Algonquin Indian language in 1663 with the help of Cockinoe, a Pequot, who helped him with interpretation. Eliot used the Geneva as he didn't know Greek or Hebrew. While not perfect, it was better than no Bible at all, and many Massachuset & members of other Indian nations that spoke Algonquin were receptive to it.

There are other similar examples, of course, but most-often a missionary who learned a native language would read from a Bible in his own language & translate it as he went. Again, that's better than no Bible at all.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The promises of God in the Bible regarding inspiration and preservation applied only to the Originals, and to the original languages texts!!

#103 Yeshua1, Dec 3, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  4. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know this?

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Inspiration and preservation per the bible just to the originals, and to the original languages texts!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Due to the fact that the Holy Spirit inspired ONLY Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic, not English!

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    IOW, it is a personal opinion of yours?

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, it's a widely held position.

9. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what? Who told you?

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the circles, I fellowship in. What I'm trying to say is Yeshua didn't just pull his position out of his ear.

11. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did not pull it out of the scriptures either, but he spoke with, what seems to me, much authority as if he could not be wrong.

This man is not the Jesus of the bible, you know.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit inspired the OT in Aramaic and Hebrew, and the NT in Koine Greek, and He has NO other languages he inspired!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That has been the accepted viewpoint since beginning of the church!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don't you insist that these manuscripts in these languages be translated correctly then, and why to you accept dynamic equivalences and paraphrases and other mishandling of what you tell us you believe are the actual words of God? Your practice causes me to not believe you. You don't reverence these words and you do not walk as if you think they are that important.

What you teach others about God and what you personally believe about him is demonstrated by what you do and say. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh, we are told. A corrupt tree cannot bring forth good fruit, God says. As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he, says the scripture.

This teaching about his word does not come from God.

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't. I just don't make war on them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said these words. He that is not with me is against me and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

My prayer is that God will deliver us from fence sitters. Some people makes miserable soldiers. They wage war against the friendlies and do not even recognize the enemies.

17. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You fail to practice what you preach. You do not insist on the same thing concerning the KJV. You in effect accept non-literal, non-word-for-word, dynamic equivalences and paraphrases found in the KJV.

Your human, modern, non-scriptural KJV-only reasoning/teaching is not found in the Scriptures including as they are translated in the KJV.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Who besides you argues that the KJV is a paraphrase or was translated with the method of dynamic equivalence? Your charge is just not true.

On the positive side, you seem to be agreeing that paraphrases and dynamic equivalencies are a bad idea. That is something good I think.

Whatever, I don’t think it glorifies God to argue for the sake of arguing so this is all I have to say to you about it.

19. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is true. You refuse to apply the same exact measures/standards that KJV-only advocates use to allege the use of dynamic equivalences and paraphrases in other English Bible translations to the KJV. I did not claim that the KJV is a paraphrase. You improperly try to twist my accurate statements into something that I did not say. Nevertheless, there are some places where the KJV gives a paraphrase or a dynamic equivalent rendering instead of a literal, word-for-word rendering. When the same exact standards/measures are applied consistently and justly, it is evident that the KJV has at least some of the same type renderings that are called paraphrasing or dynamic equivalents in other English Bible translations.

Baptist pastor Glenn Conjurske, a defender of the KJV and a critic of modern English Bibles including even the NKJV and who acknowledges his own bias for the KJV, still had to admit: "The New King James Version has doubtless removed some paraphrasing which was in the old version [the KJV]" (The Bible Version Controversy, p. 231).

Glenn Conjurske acknowledged: "I grant that there is too much paraphrasing in the King James Version, more especially in the Old Testament" (p. 230).

Glenn Conjurske maintained that "most of the paraphrasing in the King James Version is retained from Tyndale and Coverdale" (p. 230).

Even some KJV-only authors have in effect acknowledged that KJV renderings such as "God forbid" and "God save the king" are the same type renderings that they call dynamic equivalents or paraphrasing in other English Bibles.

#119 Logos1560, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    it's easy to see that God either commanded some men to write down His words, or He inspired others to write down what He wanted written down by men. And they wrote in their own languages.

As for inspiration of translations...there's no indication God inspired one translation in any language over all others. That's someone's pipe dream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.