1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Response to Why I am #NeverTrump

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Tendor, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The trolling seems strong today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The irony is, you're not just throwing yourself off the cliff ordering God's angels to catch you. You're throwing your children off.

I cherish the sovereignty of God. It keeps me sane. But I also believe in human responsibility, and not putting God to the test, especially putting my kids at risk.

3. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're just wrong.

4. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

So, IOW Trump is just like a lot of people on here who will not in 'good conscience' vote for him. lolzzzz.....

Yup. And that is a fact. :)

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FWIW, I would not even vote for myself for POTUS, if things came to that.

6. Calminian

Site Supporter

That was a very weak answer and I think it's obvious why. Once you go to war, you have to unite, and be patriotic for the sake of the troops. Anytime someone says "I guess so......" that usually means no, but i'll roll with it. That's what it means when I say it. But you could hear the uneasiness in that answer.

Trump was against that war. He was for the troops and for America, but he knew the it was a bad decision. The video above bears it out.

#86 Calminian, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  7. Calminian

Site Supporter

It's not power, it's freedom. Freedom is all we need to do God's work. Whether we take it or not is a different story.

Many who complain about Trump want him to propagate the gospel for them. That's not the role of governing authorities, and it's silly to try to conform them to that job. They need to punish the guilty and protect the innocent. That's it. They don't even need to be godly people.

Amen! But we're also told to give to Caesar what is Caesar's. In Romans 13 we're told to be patriots and give to government what it asks. That's part of living the gospel. If we willfully ignore or responsibilities to government are we not a poor testimony? And will that not affect our testimony?

Again, this is why the Supreme Court is so important. It's about the future of our freedom and our children's freedom. To throw that way, because we've gotten our feelings hurt, is not loving in the least.

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll give you credit here. I agree with your assessment of Trump's view.

9. Calminian

Site Supporter

I wouldn't either. I don't have leadership wisdom. But we need to support Trump. We need to. You need to. I'd beg you if I though it would help.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he can show over the next month or so that he can start being more Presidential, I'll consider it. That's the best I can do.

11. Calminian

Site Supporter

What's the biblical definition of presidential? Was King David presidential in your view? How about Solomon? Shoot, just on paper they make Trump look pretty good. No murder on his resume, to my knowledge, and he's still under a thousand wives. And he's not running to be king of Israel.

Two words. Supreme Court.

• Like Like x 1
  12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Different era. And being anointed by God is a big deal. Trump hasn't had that privilege.

It's more that he can control himself. If he can't do that, I have no reason to expect he will make the right call on the court.

The list he released may just be a suck up list.

I need to be able to trust him. And I can't do that now. Maybe I could. I'm not ruling it completely out.

But I have to be at the point where I am not violating my conscience to do it.

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would help greatly is a calm appeal. I was quite offended earlier. That doesn't sway anyone.

14. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump did not promise freedom, he tempted with power. He is telling them they will have a seat at the table.

We are called to submit to those in authority over us. That has nothing to do with voting for someone who I fundamentally disagree with. If he wins I will submit to his authority, but that still cannot compel me to vote for him.

I pay my taxes. Trump is no more entitled to my vote, than anyone else, so your give to Caeser what is Caesar is misapplied. Romans 13 is about submitting to the government in so far as that does not violate God's commands. The GOP is a private organization that has no authority on its own to compel anyone to do anything, including to vote for their candidate.

The SCOTUS argument doesn't work because I don't trust Trump to do what he says. He has already walked back that list he posted since it has done the job he intended.

Trump's attacks on the 1st Amendment should make Christian's think before voting for him. We often forget that what is done by one president can be and will be expanded by another, so while Trump's attacks on the 1st Amendment may not have any adverse effects on Christians during his potential term in office, when the pendulum swings to another party it could very well be used to declare open war on Christians.

15. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Not going to vote Trump, for 'conscience sake', but no conscience worries when allowing lying Clinton, who has accomplished nothing, is a lying murderer, puts our National Security at risk, shares classified email like it means nothing, and is probably the reason a DNC linked to Wikileaks was murdered, will make it as POTUS. There is MUCH more.

"But, you know, Trump is bombastic, and that is so turrible, and I have a conscience, you know, and Melania plagiarized."

Spare me the baloney. A vote for Trump neutralizes a vote for that criminal lying Hillary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Calminian

Site Supporter

Somehow throwing away their kid's future is easier to live with.

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Votes only really matter in swing states. In safe states, they don't matter. That's a mathematical fact.

And I think you're not being fair in representing matters of conscience. I really would like to see more humility from Trump. Arrogance doesn't help (cf. Obama), and it can be dangerous. But that's only one thing.

At this moment, I'm not 100% resolved never to vote for Trump. I do have issues that bother my conscience. Mocking me is not the way to change my mind.

18. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump may very well name better justices to the court (although we could easily end up with a David Souter in the end), but our kids will have a future either way.

I'm not speaking in terms of voting now. I mean from a 1000 ft view. Christians worshiped under the Roman Empire. Protestants worshiped under Catholic persecution.

Even if I vote for Trump, Trump may well lose. But God will still be on his throne, even if all the SCOTUS nominees are insanely liberal. His is the ultimate court of appeal, and we can petition it at any time. Even if the outcome isn't the preferred outcome, God can still restore the years the locusts eat.

Again, this isn't about voting. I'm just speaking generally about the election.

19. Calminian

Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with a seat at the table. That's how our government is formed. 'We The People.' We're part of the government. We've been born into the royal family.

You mean someone who offends you. You agree with him on just about everything if you're truly a Christian. You certainly agree with his Supreme Court picks. He just annoys you, so you're willing to throw the court away.

That's not the context I was using the verse. Romans 13 gives us insight into the purpose of governing authorities and what their role is. Even a pagan can function in this role and do it well.

This is a copout. Trump has actually provided a list of good SC picks praised by Christians and conservatives. Hillary has promised to appoint the opposite—the most anti-christians judges imaginable.

Attacks on the 1A? Huh?

20. Calminian

Site Supporter

We're talking about your words, not your vote. Words matter. Influence matters. You're potentially talking to people all over the nation. The future of our kids should have the most effect on your conscience. Will you be able to look them in the eye and admit you helped create the hostile court they're living under?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.