1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A reversal on waterboarding

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by matt wade, May 5, 2009.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that Matt's change in personal views is horrible, but I wouldn't thank him for it.:smilewinkgrin:
    And here I thought the truths of Christ found in scripture were timeless.

Apparently, you believe Christianity has to "change with the times" to be relevant.

Don't homos*xuals make the same argument for same-s*x marriage? Why, yes they do.

I'm surprised at the company you are keeping in this "day-and-age" Pastor Paul...........are you?

peace to you:praying:

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    By definition, torture does not result in death because you cannot get information from a dead person.

The other reason torture has been practiced is to get someone to change their ideological position on something. Once again, a dead person can't change their ideological position.

#42 Gold Dragon, May 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is Matt's OP....

Subject: "Waterboarding/Torture"

Here is my Post...

Why is it you see my question as "off topic"? I don't get it! If my question is off topic then just about every post in this thread is off topic. I wish to broaden the definition of torture in a thread about torture. This happens ALL the time on these threads.

Here is canadyjd's post...

Canadyjd didn't get any comments from the Mod to start a new thread. My question was on torture, putting forth an argument as to waht torture is defined as. And I keep getting "start a new thread, it is off topic".

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were You Drinking Kool-Aid Again?

I do not understand where canadyjd is coming from. First of all, I think if I want to thank Matt for being a "stand-up" guy for admitting his error on the subject, that is my "right!" I did not connect the dots to anything in Scripture!!!!

And in regard to your comments on "homos*xuals and the argument for same-s*x marriage?" where did this topic come from? I don't understand where your nasty disposition, and angry tone came from.

How you could pull these thoughts from my post is ludicrous. It is apparent that you have some pent up anger that you've been waiting to dump on me.

Get a life canadyjd, I said nothing that even comes close to you "Twi-light Zone" accusations.

Peace back to you!!!!

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

My first question is this, does torture or for those amongst us who are more euphemistically inclined "enhanced interrogation techniques" really work?

This (my second question) may sound dumb but shouldnt my first question be answered before we get into the legal and moral aspects of this debate?

#45 poncho, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
  6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

To Q#1.....
    Don't know. When I was 12 and daddy asked us all front and center in the living room to answer.... who took the cardboard out of the toilet roll.... and either no one remembered or were to scared to tell..... When he started to belt us all in descending order until someone confessed... a brother stepped forward and took the 'strapping' and resents my dad to this day for it.

Daddy got the answer he was looking for. To this day none of us know who took the card board out of the roll of tp.... but evidentally.... it meant a WHOLE lot to daddy. (Children at that age may do lots of things without thinking.... and honestly forget.)

#46 windcatcher, May 16, 2009
  7. targus

targus New Member

Appearently it does. We have been told that information was obtained that thwarted terrorist attacks.

That is a reasonable question.

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Paul, you misspelled the word "honorable" and instead wrote "horable". I made a joke on your misspelled word, saying I agreed the decision was "horrible". It was a joke, and I put in a smile, wink, grin :)smilewinkgrin:) so everybody could see it was a joke. Sorry you missed it.
    Agreed, your position has no basis in scripture.:smilewinkgrin: Please note the smile, wink, grin. That means I am making a joke from what you said.
    It came from your comment that "that's what it takes to be a Christian in this day-and-age", or words to that effect.

I responded that the truths of Christ are timeless. That means to be a Christian "in this day and age" is really no different from being a Christian in any day and age. You cannot allow morality to become relative. If support for torture is condemned by scripture and the teachings of Christ, then it makes no difference what happens to Christians in "this day and age", because torture is still condemned by scripture and the teachings of Christ. You cannot argue that to be a Christian "in this day and age", means ignoring what scriptures says.

The argument that you made about "this day and age", is exactly the same argument that homos*uals use to justify same s*x marriage. They are saying to be a Christian "in this day and age" means ignoring out of date ideas concerning homos*xuality and g*y marriage found in scripture.
    No pent up anger, brother, just love and hugs. :1_grouphug:

#48 canadyjd, May 16, 2009
  9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Mm, Mm, Good; Humble Pie That Is!"

You are a great cook canadyjd....and I certainly misread your entire post. My bad on several occasions, I beg your forgiveness for jumping to conclusions [and jumping to conclusions is like jumping over the side of the steep canyon.

Sorry for misreading your thread. And you're right, I did misspell honorable....I can honestly tell you that I was wearing my feelings on the tips of my shoulders, and never caught your "puns".

You and I've come so far on this board, and I can only hope we don;t allow this to come between us. As for the homos@xual thing: While it is true that they are BENDING the Message of the Gospel, and using HOLY Scripture to make their points,:tear: they shall experience the true wrath of God in eternity. It just a shame that so many talented people will be destroyed in the end!

Shalom, and Peace to You,:type:

Pastor Paul

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Correct. This is what we were told. But, we were told this by an administration (and corporate media) who started a war and occupation on bogus and misinformation, used "message force multipliers" as propagandists to spread pentagon "themes" on tv and radio and spent at least 2 billion dollars on fake news reports. Oh and we can't forget that we were also told there were serious terrorist threats and the alert levels raised whenever this same administration was questioned or whenever the polls showed their political opposition to be gaining or leading.

Would it be un-reasonable to doubt the word of those who misinformed and mislead us on pretty much everything else they told us?

#50 poncho, May 16, 2009
  11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aww shucks, Pastor Paul, I enjoy the passion you show in your posts. We agree more than not. Just remember, whether I agree with you or disagree, I will never have hard feelings about it.:thumbs:
    I agree.

I've seen your desire to remain true to scripture, and that is all that I was trying to get you to do on the issue of torture. Don't believe for a second that Christians, in "this day and age" have to "bend the rules" like other groups and ignore scripture.

It is exactly during such times as these that Christianity reveals itself among those who refuse to compromise the teachings of Christ, even against those who would kill us and our friends and our families.

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

You mean Christains aren't to accept "world views" on questions of morality? :tonofbricks:

How else are we ever going to get that wonderful self righteous feeling if we refuse to accept "world views" on questions of morality? :confused:

#52 poncho, May 16, 2009
  13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back on Track.....

I do care that the it is probable that we could one day be hauled before an American tribunal and subjected to the torture some of us have backed. This is America, and anything could happen, though I pray it doesn't.

I don't like the direction in which this nation is pointed. However, I am praying that God and His supernatural; favor be around us until He takes us back home.

Until that day, people like us must remain strong in our faith, and committed to the Gospel message of Jesus and how it applies to our walk and testimony.

Pastor Paul:type:
    Remove the Haze Ministries
    Author of Prodigal Daze and
    Thorn Daze

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only wonderful feeling I am seeking has nothing to do with self righteousness. It is the wonderful feeling of having our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ say the words, "Well done, My good and faithful servent".

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is my concern as well that we, as Christians, are supporting the very policies that will one day be used to persecute and/or kill other Christians, including our children and grandchildren, or even ourselves.
    Pastor Paul, we have read the end of the book. We know what is going to happen. The influence of anti-christ will spread throughout the world. America will not be spared.

All we can do is walk in a manner worthy of our calling. Seek the things above where our heavenly Father is, and not the things below (including the country) where sin and death rule.
    Agreed! I just pray you will see that commitment, that walk, includes our views on torturing people. It is contrary to the teachings of our Lord Jesus. We cannot return evil for evil. We cannot condone evil (support torture) so that good will come to us (keep us safe).

#55 canadyjd, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  16. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I understand. I was thinking of other Christians who I've met throughout the years who act as if their salvation makes them above others. Like okay I'm saved and you're still a rotten sinner do as I say now or you'll burn. I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone here on BB.

Sorry if it seemed that way.