1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A simple fact

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by glad4mercy, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saving ourselves is not even an option, so that is out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, if your choice makes the difference between salvation and being lost, you become your own savior and your will becomes the idol you trust in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, in the Calvinist's world.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is common logic. If you determine your salvation by an act of your will, you are the savior. If you cannot will anything but sin, and God gives you a new will, he is the savior.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Monergism (a.k.a. Calvinism) is throughout scripture. Synergists like yourself are the ones who have twisted it to fit their faulty soteriology. You cannot accept the fact that sinful man has no ability to breath life into himself; that he is completely dead (spiritually) according to Ephesians 2:1 and Colossians 2:16. You cannot understand the truth that God is completely justified in His redemptive choice without the individual's consent or refusal (Romans 9:14-33). You miss the point that God's redemptive plan included the calling of all God predestined to eternal life since before the world began (Ephesians 1:4). It is only Synergists who concern themselves with the supposed injustice that is done to those who are non-elect. That is not the emphasis of Monergists. Monergists understand that God has ordained the means of salvation (the preaching of the gospel) in order to bring in the full number of the elect. Monergists place no condition on the sinner other than that of scripture (Acts 11:18; 16:31; 2 Corinthians 7:10). Monergists preach the gospel without guilt and with full confidence in the power of the Holy Spirit to convert sinners (Romans 1:16). Your brand of Synergism has bought into a bunch of sensationalism and hype that has no basis in scripture. It whips up a frenzy in fellow Synergists like yourself but accomplishes little else.

• Like Like x 2
  6. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why not just provide a third choice like he requested and prove that the dichotomy is false? Either people are able to believe before they are regenerated or people are not able to believe before they are regenerated ... seem like the only two options to me ... I’d love to hear the third choice.

7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    this is what YOU say it means without any clear exegetical proof. You say that these scriptures fit your theological lens therefore it must mean what you say it means. That is not an honest way to interpret the Scriptures. Man responding to the Gospel is not being discussed in the context of the Scriptures you provided. Man can respond to the Gospel call...God provided the means to do so...through the preaching Of His Word. Do you doubt the power of God? It seems as though you do.

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why the accusations and assumptions at the end? What exactly do you think that adds to the conversation?

9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe God is so powerful that His Word can even be heard by a spiritually dead man and He is so merciful and loving that He gives them the opportunity to respond to Him in faith WITHOUT regenerating him.

Calvinists believe God's Word is impotent in that a person must be regenerated BEFORE they can respond to the Gospel.

Whose view demonstrates the Power of God more accurately concerning God's Word?

Hint...Hebrews 4:12

No bias here...Calvinism shows God's Word to be impotent.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This post shows a complete lack of understanding of biblical salvation.
    Your bias is on display for sure. You can make up fables as you do here, but know you are devoid of biblical truth..as you post such nonsense.
    Those comments were accurate and factual. We have seen this before.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And your post means nothing without Setting forth Scriptural precedence.

Yall can bully with your philosophical mumbo jumbo, but I will no longer allow you tell me what Scripture is 'saying' unless you can back with it up with sound hermeneutics.

The statements of "This is what this verse means because my theological framework says it does" will no longer fly bro.

#131 JonShaff, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have an agenda that has now become manifest.I do not like when a person pretends to be one way, then switches mid stream....no one likes that.

You have failed up and down the line to answer the scriptures...case in point....Reformed justposted biblical facts that you have no scriptural answer for...try and respond

• Like Like x 1
  13. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And secondly :)

If Calvinism produces all of these "mature" disciples as I've seen on this board...Then count me out. If your theology does not produce brotherly love and compassion I'd say it's time to turn it in and exchange it for something else. Period.

Jesus says "They will know that you're my disciples by your love one towards another." Yea, I understand it's difficult to read in attitude during online discussions, but many posts straight up lack any sort of love. And it's from both sides of the discussion. But the post I'm quoting is a sample of just a jab without any justifiable proof. Fables? Come on bro.

14. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The guy has me blocked. What's my agenda? It's a legitimate statement. I gave good exegetical break Downs of John 5 and 6 and you selected the "funny" icon on every single one of them. What's so funny bro? I'm not trying to be a comedian on here.

15. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, the passage in Ephesians 2 gives commentary itself on what it means to be Spiritually dead...vs. 2-3.

And it says NOTHING about being able to respond to the Gospel. nothing.

We were led by the flesh, the world, and Satan. That's what it means to be spiritually dead.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonShaff,

And no one cares what you believe...unless you show it in scripture...show how unregenerate persons welcome the word of God, when the word of God declares the natural man CANNOT RECEIVE the word of God...
    You assert the direct opposite of what scripture declares...and by doing so deny the biblical description of those dead in Adam.

So it is you with your false free will ideology being super-imposed on scripture.

Calvinists understand the proper relationship between the word and Spirit...you evidently do not.
    The readers know the answer to that question. The only one who believes that error is RM.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The funny icon is the only one that can be used. the politically correct censors removed the icons that show dislike or disapproval...
    your breakdowns were not solid.you basically look to explain away the passages rather than see the clear implications.
    If someone has blocked you, it is for a reason as i have seen him have all manner of discussions without having to block the people.

18. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always wondered about that! Now I know that your funny emojis mean disapproval. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is not one icon left, a thumbs down, a sad face,not one that shows you object...

20. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can always just say you disapprove.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.