1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Very Simple Test - Rom. 9

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by The Biblicist, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

If determinists believed in the HUMAN RESPONSIBILITY of believers then this defense might actually help your case...

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a bunch hogwash diversion; NOTHING on that wild tangent of your's about 'Calvinists' even remotely pertains to me or the topic at hand.

Show exactly where I've ignored the context in Ro 9. Where?

3. Skandelon

I wouldn't say 'ignored,' I would say that you are willing to apply certain 'hermeneutical' considerations to one passage to fit your system, but not the other. Responsibility for a believer in the Calvinistic system is just a "predetermined" as the responsibility of a non-believer, so your rebuttal doesn't help you much.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Pretend much? I clearly understand your errors and the above post exudes hauteur. We get your teaching, it's clearly erroneous and readily dismantled.

Do you need an audience skan? Any honest person can see that you're in error with your teaching and you're living in a dream world if you think otherwise.

Your post totally abused Scripture (disobeying 2 Timothy 2:15) as is typical and have completely wrested it from its proper context in a feeble attempt to make it fit into your errant view of the Gospel.

That you cannot accept the fact of you wresting Scripture out of context, which is glaringly apparent (as others have pointed out) then you are on a dangerous path.

You still don't get 'not of yourselves' as you unremittingly attempt post after post to prove man had something to do with his salvation.

#44 preacher4truth, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2013
  5. preacher4truth

This is typical of his responses. Add to what is said, throw in a diversion, pretends he has won, pretends you've made a statement you haven't, tear Scripture from context, acts as if you just cannot understand his posts, and on and on and on.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me from Romans the human responsibility part that I'm missing. Where is it that Paul speaks your mind on human responsibility?

#46 kyredneck, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2013
  7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mean like in Ro 9 man is presented as being TOTALLY passive, there IS no responsibility of man pictured there.

8. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

9. Skandelon

Just so readers are aware, I've chosen to put Preacher4truth on my 'ignore' list because of the lack of substance typical in his post and his somewhat agitated approach. I can see that he has responded, but I can't see the content, that way I'm not tempted to join in the mud slinging, as I don't believe that helps anyone.

I'm sure he is a good guy in person, but sometimes forums like this bring out the worst in people causing them to say and do things they would never do in 'real life.' I hold no hard feelings toward him, but I simply choose not to engage in such meaningless and fruitless banter.

I'll repost this occasionally so readers will know why I'm not responding to his posts. If he happens to make a valid argument worthy of consideration that you'd like to see a response to, then please quote his post and ask for a reply and I'd be happy to oblige.

Thank you.

10. Skandelon

But concerning Israel he says, "All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and obstinate people." Rm. 10:21

What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31 but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. 32 Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the "stumbling stone." Rom 9:32ff

11. preacher4truth

Now you're grandstanding.

I've made a completely valid argument showing how you misuse Scripture to support your erroneous teaching. Was that 'too harsh'? Such a practice needs to be rebuked and needs to be corrected as is Scriptural.

You've been called out by myself and others in this thread in the SAME manner for tearing Scripture out of context. You simply cannot answer my rebuttals and so you duck and run. And actually, I'd say the exact same things to you in person that I've said on BB and I'd do so nicely just as I have here. :)

12. Skandelon

and...

12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

and...

11 Again I ask: Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious. 12 But if their transgression means riches for the world, and their loss means riches for the Gentiles, how much greater riches will their fullness bring! 13 I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I make much of my ministry 14 in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them.

and...

23 And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 I say then, Did God cast off his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
    2 God did not cast off his people which he foreknew..... Ro 11

29 For whom he foreknew, he also foreordained to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren:
    30 and whom he foreordained, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. Ro 8

14. Skandelon

Yes, those are good ones too, but I would have included verse 28 in that last one... Thanks.

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...vessels of mercy, which he afore prepared unto glory, even us, whom he also called, not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles

"Save some of them"; do you take that to mean 'to cause some of them to go to heaven instead of hell'?

Grafted into what? What were they broken off from?

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hard to play a symphony with only one string on the instrument, and that string is broken:wavey:

17. Skandelon

Yeah, ya'll are probably right.

What would a doctrine about God's active blinding of his elect nation so as to prevent them from seeing, hearing, understanding and turning to God for healing have to do with soteriology, the nature of man or election?

I'm sure I've just made a much ado about nothing. Go about your normal business of systematizing God into his little deterministic box, giving your pat one liners and congratulating yourselves for your latest debate forum "conquest." I won't bother you anymore with the facts.

18. Skandelon

The strongest points are most typically the ones ignored: "But concerning Israel he says, "All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and obstinate people." Rm. 10:21

19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Ro 9 is not about Jews only:

...vessels of mercy, which he afore prepared unto glory, even us, whom he also called, not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles

20. Skandelon

I never suggested it was. Pick up a commentary...a lot of us 'non-Calvinists' types have published too, believe it or not. I'm not trying to be mean, but you treat me as if this is MY doctrine and this is the first time you've happen to cross it. I may be wrong, but when you say things like this how else am I supposed to take it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.