1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A. W. Pink

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Martin Marprelate, May 1, 2019.

1. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heres what I understand about Pink who pastored in western KY about 10 miles or so from where I grew up -Mortons Gap

He seemed to be an introvert and probably suffered from at least mild more than likely mid depression.

He did not seem to be well liked by hardly anyone later in life and was not a member of a church for about the last 10 yrs of his life.

He was a loving husband and seriously devoted to his wife

If I am wrong please let me know if you have other informations

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of the things you wrote were covered in earlier posts in this thread. It is regrettable that Pink became a virtual recluse in his waning years. Was it because of physical or mental frailty? We can only speculate. However, if I can take the liberty and broaden the discussion I will add that depression and anxiety are not minor problems among the people of God. These conditions can be debilitating to the point of virtual ineffectiveness in ministry. How many pastors suffer from depression or anxiety and find themselves just pushing through it. I mean, if a spiritual leader like a pastor suffers from mental illness, what hope does the common man in the pew have? It really is a problem and I am personally acquainted with men who fight this battle in their lives.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read the same (that his repution had been eggagerated by Murray's biography, that he was not considered "worthy of his calling" and he suffered depression).

But God uses who God uses. Look at how God used Charles Finney (many were ctitical of his methods, and perhaps rightly so, but Finney was a staunch Calvinist who considered himself to be continuing along the lines of Edwards). Or look at Edwards who was basically fired from his church. Or AW Tozer who by all accounts neglected his family.

Men will always disappoint, I suppose.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting that he went from being a stauch dispy to holding to Covenant theology

5. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Dispy had to go, although it may have seemed like that was just what everyone figured The Bible taught, until he learned better.

Did he go with Covenant Theology?

What is that?

'Covenant' with God in circumcision or baptism, to connect into His Promise of Salvation?

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He "learned better" and then got all depressed and quit going to church. Hmm. ;)

Covenant theology is a complete system of theology propounded by reformed theologians involving a system of 2 or 3 covenants (depending on the theologian) which are not specifically delineated in the Bible. In other words, covenant theology is not about the specified covenants of the Bible: Abrahamic, Noahi, Davidic. Here is a pretty good link for you (though it is not completely accurate): https://www.theopedia.com/covenant-theology

Baptists, even Calvinists, do not usually hold to this theology, but are more likely to be historic premil, though there are some Baptists here on the BB who hold to it. But don't pay too much to them. One of them at least still thinks covenant theology is all about the Bible covenants. :rolleyes:

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A. W. Pink

8. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you, John of Japan.

I'll look at the link for a beginner course.

I find that many who say they hold that 'Covenant Theology' are dead on, with their 'End Times'.

Matthew 24 throws them a loop, and they don't have Church Truth, but I like their insight as 'scribes', who cover The Old Testament and New Testament AND MAKE THEM MEAN SOMETHING TO US, TODAY, rather than nothing.

I think God wants us to get some good out of what He wrote and 'wait until everything happens later because you can ignore 3/4ths of The Bible' is not it.

While I benefit from their work, I wanted to see what happened and where they think they want to use whatever this is, and why.

Thanks again!!

Yes, if you divide the Scriptures in a non-dispy way and everyone around you is hung up 'getting Jesus to bop back and forth to Heaven, like a ping pong ball, with 7 or 8 Second Comings, and 3 Resurrections, and "Millennium" (whatever that is, here, and a "Millennium" (whatever that is) there, them apparently God Called Brother Pink in Exile.

9. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Teach these, from Gill, because he has them right:

I 'say', "I Teach them". Looks like I have work to do, in placing them on the Internet.

I plan to do slide shows of the text, with audio, so they can just bless us into a fit.

The Bible has a lot in it.

This list takes me over the 5 Points of "Calvinism" pretty quick.

I believe those 5 Points, I just think they can be explained out quite a bit more, by adding a couple of hundred more Points to them.

• ( 5.4 ) THE COVENANT OF GRACE, AS EXHIBITED IN THE TIMES OF DAVID, AND

THE SUCCEEDING PROPHETS, TO THE COMING OF CHRIST.

5.4.1. JESUS SAVED DAVID.

5.4.2. JESUS SAVED SOLOMON, THE SON OF DAVID.

5.4.3. JESUS SAVED THE PROPHETS, ISAIAH, JEREMIAH and many more.

These PROPHETS, ISAIAH, JEREMIAH and many more,

Speak much of the Covenant of Grace.

5.4.3b. That the Prophets in this Period of Time speak very plain of the Blessings of the Covenant of Grace.

5.4.3b1. The Blessing of Pardon of sin through Jesus Christ, which is a Blessing of the Covenant

(Heb. 8:10, 12).

5.4.3b2. The Blessing of Justification

by the Righteousness of Jesus Christ
    is “Witnessed by the Law and Prophets” (Romans 3:21, 22).

5.4.3b3. The Blessing of Adoption is another Covenant Blessing, spoken of by the Prophets.

5.4.3b4. Spiritual and Eternal Salvation is the Great Blessing of the Covenant of Grace
    spoken of by the Prophets
    (2 Sam. 23:5).

5.4.3c. Jesus Christ, His Person,
    Office and Grace are copiously and frequently
    spoken of by the Prophets.

• ( 5.5 ) THE ABOLISHING OF THE OLD COVENANT,

OR FIRST ADMINISTRATION
    in THE OLD TESTAMENT,

OF

THE ONE ETERNAL
    COVENANT of GRACE

AND

THE INTRODUCTION

OF THE NEW,
    OR SECOND ADMINISTRATION

in THE NEW TESTAMENT,

OF

THE ONE ETERNAL
    COVENANT of GRACE.

5.5.1. First, Let it be observed, that it was never designed that the first administration of the covenant
    of grace should continue always in that form.

5.51a. It was only intended to continue for a certain time, called, “The time of reformation”

(Hebrews 9:10),

5.5.1b. The ancient form of the administration of the covenant of grace, in the course of time, was
    limited to a certain people in a certain country, worshipping at a certain place, and sacrificing on
    the same altar.

5.5.1c. It is expressly foretold, that there would be “a new covenant,” or a new administration of
    it; and that the former, in course, would cease (Jer. 31:31, 32),

5.5.2. Secondly, There are reasons to be given why the first covenant should and must cease.

5.5.2a. The Old Testament Covenant was a Symbolic

Representational Covenant;

the people in The Old Covenant

Symbolically Represented the people,

of the whole “Israel of God”, consisting of Jews and Gentiles; who are the Spiritual Israel,

Chosen of God, Redeemed by Jesus Christ,

and who shall be saved with an Everlasting Salvation.

5.5.2b. It was a faulty covenant, and therefore it was proper it should give way to a new and better covenant;

5.5.2b1. It did not exhibit Christ present, only in figure, in promise, and in prophecy;

5.5.2b2. The sacrifices then offered were imperfect.

5.5.2b3. There was but a small measure of the gifts and graces of the Spirit bestowed on men under
    the first covenant;

5.5.2b4. It was a state of darkness and obscurity under that covenant;

5.5.2b5. It was a state of bondage;

5.5.2c. The rites and ceremonies by which this covenant was greatly administered, are by the apostle

called, “weak and beggarly elements;” and being “weak” and “unprofitable,” there was, therefore,

a “disannulling” of them (Gal. 4:9; Heb 7:18, 19).

5.5.3. Thirdly, To the abrogation of the first covenant, or of the administration of it; which was

signified by the rending of the veil between the holy place and the holy of holies, at the death of Christ;

5.5.4. Fourthly, The new covenant, or the new administration of the covenant of grace, took place;

and as the one was gradually removed, the other was gradually introduced;

5.5.4a. In an exhibition of Christ as come, and has become the author of eternal salvation;

5.5.4b. In a more clear and extensive ministration of the gospel: it first began to be spoken by Christ

in the clearest and fullest manner it possibly could be;

5.5.4c. In freedom from all bondage and servitude: not from the bondage of sin and Satan, common

to all believers under every dispensation;

5.5.4d. In a large communication of the gifts and graces of the Spirit: of extraordinary gifts, which

in the first part of this administration were bestowed, not only upon the apostles but upon common

Christians, men and women, sons and daughters, servants and handmaids, according to the prophecy

of Joel (Joel 2:28, 29),

5.5.4e. In ordinances more spiritual than the ordinances of divine service under the first covenant

were, which are called “carnal” ones.

• ( 5.6 ) THE LAW OF GOD;

The Ceremonial Law

The Judicial Law of The Jews & The Spiritual, Perfect, Holy & Just

Universal Moral Law of God,

which lies chiefly in

The Ten Commandments, as Confirmed by Jesus Christ.

5.6.1. The Ceremonial Law

5.6.2. The judicial law, which respects the political state or civil government of the Jews, and

consists of statutes and judgments, according to which the judges in Israel,

5.6.3. The moral law, which lies chiefly in the Decalogue, or Ten Commandments (Ex 20:3-17),

and which our Lord has reduced, even both tables of the law, to two capital ones, love to God, and

love to our neighbor (Matthew 22:36-40), as the apostle has reduced the commands of the second

table to one, that is, love, which he calls the fulfilling of the law (Rom. 13:9, 10).

• ( 5.7) THE GOSPEL.

5.7.1. First, The name and signification of it. The Greek word ευαγγελιον, used for it throughout

the New Testament, signifies, a good message, good news, glad tidings;

5.7.2. Secondly, The author and origin of the gospel.

5.7.3. Thirdly, The effects of the gospel when attended with the power and Spirit of God.

5.7.4. Fourthly, The properties of the gospel.

5.7.5. Fifthly, I shall close this chapter with a brief answer to some queries relating to faith,

repentance, and good works; as, to what they belong, whether to law or gospel.

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sure know how to drown a thread.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I teach them from Piper because he is from Tennessee and grew up in South Carolina.

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John,

It's been a while since we had a dialogue. There are quite a few Baptists who subscribe to Covenant Theology. In fact, there is a growing scholarship on a distinctly Baptist view of Covenant Theology. The diagram in this post shows the basic differences between a Confessional Baptist view of Covenant Theology and Dispensationalism. For the sake of brevity, I direct you to www.1689federalism.com for a more comprehensive treatment of the topic.

Blessings. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the correction. Interesting that Baptists are following Federalism--just not in the circles I move in. :)

I have to point out that your graphic is somewhat inaccurate. For example, "rejects a typological hermeneutic" is not strictly true of Dispensationalism, unless by this is meant allegorical interpretation. Dispensationalists do accept typology. Again, many historical premil folk, such as my grandfather, accept that Israel and the Church are different--not just a Dispensational doctrine.

14. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, I believe the graphic I shared compares Baptist Federalism to classic Dispensationalism. Here is a presentation on Baptist Federalism compared to Dispensationalism that goes into more detail than just a graphic. No doubt you will arrive at a different conclusion but it will provide a perspective from a Baptist Federalist position.

1689 Federalism vs. Dispensationalism

#34 Reformed, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No doubt. The last I knew is JoJ teaches Dispensationalism for his livelihood.

16. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying JoJ's theology is influenced by his paycheck? He's been a Dispensationalist long before he went into academia.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A perceptive passage from Pink:

Studies in the Scriptures, June 1928

"In the Southern States those known as Primitive Baptists are rapidly dying out, the cause of their decaying being that they have no Gospel for the unregenerate. It is an unchanging law that, a church which ceases to evangelise must inevitably fossilize. As Christ said to the angel of the church at Ephesus: 'Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen: and repent, and do the first works (preach the Gospel); or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick' (Rev. 2:5)."

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So refreshing to see the church pastored by the young man in the video has renounced its affiliation with the disgraced Reformed/Baptist Association:

Trinity Reformed Baptist Church, La Mirada, CA Resigns From ARBCA!

"In the wake of the conviction of pedophile Tom Chantry and the coverup of his sexual abuse of children dating back to 2000 by a group of corrupt ARBCA pastors, Trinity Reformed Baptist Church of La Mirada, CA has resigned from ARBCA....Sam Renihan is the senior pastor of Trinity Reformed Baptist Church."

"Trinity Reformed Baptist Church was arguably the most influential church in the Association. Their resignation, along with Grace Baptist Church of Carlisle, PA (Walter Chantry’s former church) has sent shock waves throughout ARBCA and will undoubtedly cause many other churches to tender their resignations from the corrupt association."

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m out of line. My apologies to JoJ.

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some holding to Covenant Theology, such as Spurgeon and myself, also would see the Jewish people being blessed by the Second Coming of Jesus, as Israel would alve at that time would call Him their Messiah!