1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A well-known evangelist's silliness...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Sep 15, 2021.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was listening to a regular radio prog of a well-known evangelist who was killed in a plane crash in 1982, who was supposed to be indy fundy Baptist. While I'm not a regular listener, I happened to be listening today, His sermon was supposed to be about taking drugs, not only illicitly, but for supposed beneficial effects. He started out fine, but then began talking about some old doc who never prescribed a drug, but supposedly had a high cure rate, then, about abuse of 'sleeping pills'. He then began extollin pure water & lemon juice as the great healers, the only ones people need.

He then went off the deep end, promoting a veggie diet, saying this dr. he knew told him he'd never seen a case of high cholesterol in a veggie. Then he said people got sick for not following the Leviticus diet, which was herbs & veggies (I DON'T THINK HE READ LEVITICUS TOO CLOSELY, ESPECIALLY CH. 11!)

While I'd listened to that man's progs off & on for years, I'd never heard anything that goofy from him before!

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was he sda, as sounds like Ellen White dr!

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope - was not her

Roby - I know to whom you are refering

He also thought there was no need for TV, newspapers, ect

Here is a quote of his "also advocated for a reform of modern medicine. He once said in a sermon, "We're looking for a color-coded new world: a green pill for anxiety, and yellow pill for frustration, an orange pill for unhappiness, a black pill for a bad day at the office, and a white one when all else fails ... I believe that these pills are not necessary; only because there's a certain man in this country that has failed to give the right pill. The preacher has not given the gos-pill. Therefore, they're on every pill you can think of, and none of them are working"

preached stridently against homosexuality,[1] communism, television, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, gluttony, and psychology. His strong stands led to disagreements with most of his Southern Baptist brethren. He became IFB in 1956

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He CLAIMED to be IFB. Never heard him mention any outright SDA stuff.

Staff doesn't want us using names when we criticize a preacher, so I'm not using his. However, you might recognize who he was from the fact that he piloted his own plane, the one in which he was killed, & sang in his own services. (He didn't crash due to pilot error; he didn't see a mountain in a snowstorm.)

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    About TV- My great-grandmother, the only one living in my lifetime, refused to have a TV in her home, & some relatives went to her pastor & asked if he could help with that prob, as they often took turns staying with her to make sure she took her meds for heart probs on time.

Soon, the pastor made a social call on her, & as he prepared to leave, he told her to be sure to watch a certain TV prog as he would be delivering a sermon on it. She explained she had no TV, as she believed it was an instrument of the devil. He walked over to the dishes in the sink waiting to be washed, pulled out a knife, & asked her, "Is THIS an instrument of the devil?" She answered it could become one if it was used to attack another person. The pastor said, "Well, a TV is the same thing. It can be used for good or evil. But unlike this knife, it has an on-off switch, and a channel-changer. If you don't like a certain show, you can turn it off or change channels, same as you can your radio.(She'd had radios for years.) Now the show I'm gonna be on won't be on the radio, so I suggest you get a TV & watch it in good conscience!" HE WAS SUCCESSFUL; a day later she had a grandson tke her to a shop & buy a tv! She watched it daily the rest of her life!

I have some doubts about that man's salvation, as it seems he had a host of false beliefs besides the ones mentioned above, the kicker being the girls' home he established, that soon was being run like a concentration camp, a fact he'd been told, & did nothing about. (Legal action against that home was taken after his death.)

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ADMIN NOTE:

I have spoken to the admin team about your post.
    What we are concern about is when a person passes away.
    So for a period of 30 -90 days after a death, we want to give that individual some respect

So bottom line - it is acceptable to name Lester Leo Roloff (and others)
    But we do expect members to use Christian charity when they discuss issues of which they disagree with others - especially those who went have to be with the Lord.

FWIW - I was listening to Paul Harvey on AFN-Europe when he announce "Uncle Rollie died in the plane crash

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roby, it seems like you are also being kind of silly. You started a thread on Lester Roloff back in July and didn't use the cloak and dagger secrecy then.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The strangers to God,
    His grace and His love,
    Were gathered by blue Galilee.
    To listen with joy
    To words from the lips
    Of the Stranger who sat by the sea.

• Like Like x 1
  9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After reviewing the rules, I chose not to use his name at first, as more than one person reading here believes he was fully legitimate. (OTOH, I believe most here believe Schambach was a {snip})

#9 robycop3, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2021
  10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He didn't sing too well, either.

11. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you've given two different explanations. Probably should just leave well enough alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK - we got the rules straight - Now, lets talk about the OP
    which in part stated:

He then went off the deep end, promoting a veggie diet, saying this dr. he knew told him he'd never seen a case of high cholesterol in a veggie. Then he said people got sick for not following the Leviticus diet, which was herbs & veggies (I DON'T THINK HE READ LEVITICUS TOO CLOSELY, ESPECIALLY CH. 11!)

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lester Roloff had several odd ideas, but I do not see those rising to a reason to question his salvation. Even you said a few months back:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

15. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ?? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never heard of him, but did watch that (snip) rev Schambaugh before!

#16 Yeshua1, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2021
  17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roloff's sermons can be heard on the Family Altar radio prog.

18. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An interesting take on Lester Roloff from the Waco Tribune:
    Brazos Past: Sermons by radio preacher Lester Roloff live on in cyberspace
    [Note: Waco Tribune is a pay site, but you can view the article by answering three questions, or at least that is what I did.]

19. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Waco Tribune says his plane crashed near Normangee, Texas. I have a great-grand uncle who is buried there, and a second cousin who lives there. No mountains. Hills maybe, but no mountains. Not impossible, but also unlikely there was a snowstorm there in November. More likely a thunderstorm, which the Tribune mentions.

Another part from the Tribune I thought was interesting.

20. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On a side note, I have often observed that the most effective evangelists often have theological errors.
    Some of the most doctrinally sound preachers never or rarely ever win a soul.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2