1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A woman teaching men?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jul 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most Baptists will agree that a female should not be a pastor.
    Many Baptists will believe that a female should not teach a mens class

BUT

how about a woman who writes a SS lesson, but taught by a man.
    Would you find that to be acceptable?

Why or why not?

2. timf

timf Member

I would be skeptical.

The reason why women should not teach is that they are more vulnerable to deception. This may be that they are constituted to be a help-meet and as such are more inclined to be trusting and thus vulnerable to deception.

I am not sure this is as much of a risk as it may have been in the past. It strikes me today the few men are discerning and may be just as vulnerable to deception as women.

Also, teaching a lesson someone else has prepared carries with it a sort of abandonment of responsibility.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as something that is written or said is in agreement with the gospel of salvation by the sovereign grace of God in Christ Jesus, I see no problem with sharing it with others. Men should lead any teaching in a group of believers not composed only of women; of course, women can teach a woman's only group of believers. And, of course, women can teach the gospel to non-believers of either gender. The Scriptures state that both Aquila and Priscilla taught Apollos "the way of God more perfectly".

I have become good friends with a fellow believer via Facebook in God's gospel of salvation by His sovereign grace. She is a woman a few years older than me. She places teaching videos on her YouTube page for women who visit her channel. Her audience is intended to be women, but I watch her videos as well as they are faithful to the gospel, even though I am not her intended audience.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely. Nancy Guthrie's books on seeing Jesus in the OT, meant as a Bible Study, is better than any other curriculum out there. Honestly, any man who refused to learn from a woman whom God has obviously gifted is simply being misogynistic and prideful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your statement is false. Men are equally vulnerable to deception.
    *Luke 22:31-34*

“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you,that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.” Peter said to him, “Lord, I am ready to go with you both to prison and to death.” Jesus said, “I tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it is a problem it would be for the same Biblical reason a woman is not to be a teacher of men. Now I have seen were there was a woman adult class Sunday school teacher under the authority of a Pastor (being a man) has been defended. Not that I can agree. It is my understanding the American Baptist Convention allows member Baptist churches which has a woman Pastor.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ABC is a typical Baptist convention. It is up to the local church.
    Granted many ABC churches do have female pastors - it is still a local decision.

A good friend of mine is a pastor at a ABC - he will not allow any female preachers in his pulpit - and would not have any female asst/assoc pastors.

But the OP is about if a written lesson book (authored by a female) is on the same level
    as her teaching the class herself - which would include men.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Understood.

9. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aren’t women just as likely to incorrectly teach women as men?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    As are men to incorrectly teach the entire flock.
    The responsibility of men in church leadership has little to do with teaching skills or gifts, but more to do with God's ordinance for Adam to protect Eve and be the master Gardener with Eve assisting.

11. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about a compromise? Perhaps she could be allowed to develop lessons on any book of the Bible authored by a woman? :Wink

12. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting question. Paul’s instructions in 1 Timothy concern church leadership. I don’t believe it applies outside the church. A male SS teacher should use a variety of material in research. I don’t see anything wrong with accessing a woman’s views on passages. There is absolutely no indication women are more easily deceived than men.

The idea that women are more easily deceived in a wrong assumption. If you follow that logic you must conclude men are more likely to willfully disobey God and deliberately teach false doctrine.

There is more scriptural support for men deliberately teaching false doctrine than there is for women being more easily deceived.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we also have to keep in mind that our idea of a teacher is more along the line of a type of expert providing information. To the biblical audience a teacher held a certain amount of authority.

15. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that would be cause for me to leave a congregation.

A man would be parroting a woman's teachings and thus a woman would be given teaching authority over, at the very least, the man that is parroting her. This does not even include the men that would be in the room receiving the "teaching". Even without the verses in Timothy, Isaiah is pretty clear on women "ruling" as being a judgement on a nation. Paul, and Genesis also tells us that women are more gullible than men. That is a particular problem for a person developing a lesson.

The American Church for some reason in modern times likes to see how close it can get to the red line before it steps over it. Our default position should instead always be how FAR can we can move away from the red line and from grey areas, not how close can I get to a defined sin before I get burned.

Ephesians tells us to give no opportunity to the devil. I believe the Bible and think that's a good idea we ought follow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about a woman teaching under the authority of Jesus?

17. timf

timf Member

1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    1Ti 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The elephant in the room is that SBC adult Sunday School literature often has lesson sequences written by a woman, and sometimes by non-SBC men. What then?

19. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Lottie a moon and other women

20. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Paul, under inspiration of The Holy Spirit, prohibited women to teach men; then what you propose would constitute a division in the Godhead.
    Holy Spirit prohibited it and Jesus ordains it?????

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.