1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured About Liberty University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Salty, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 2018, former 39th U.S. president Jimmy Carter gave the commencement speech.[248] However, Barack Obama, Joe Biden, and Hillary Clinton have rejected invitations to speak at LU.[14]

1) What are your thoughts - about Liberty inviting Dems to speak at Liberty?

2) What are your thoughts about Obama, Biden and Clinton rejecting an invitation

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question 1. I think it is good. The role of a university is not to indoctrinate but to foster critical thinking. I would, however, be concerned if they taught at the seminary.

Question 2. I wish they would decline to speak more often.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Jon.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fully agree

Based on agreeing w/ # 1, I would like to see several liberals speak at the Univ.
    and when they do - I trust that the students would give them a respectful welcome - ie no booing,,ect

• Like Like x 1
  5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree that the role of a university is to engender critical thinking.

Critical thinking requires being capable of both being critical and thinking.

Very few universities have even professors who are skillful in even one area, much less both.

The primary focus of any university system is indoctrination.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerry Falwell Jr. recalls how Ted Kennedy was warmly welcomed when he spoke at the school:

"My father invited Kennedy to speak at Liberty University on Oct. 3, 1983. I was in my third year at Liberty and remember....[being] impressed with Kennedy as he and his family ate dinner at our family’s home....when he spoke to Liberty University students, he was well received....He stayed in touch....The next year, I applied for admission to the law school at the University of Virginia, where Kennedy had attended. He volunteered to write a letter of recommendation for me....I guess it helped because I was admitted."

Jerry Falwell Jr. and Sen. Ted Kennedy
    20090826_TKennedywithJJr.jpg

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Outstanding!

I have a faceook page - where liberals are encourage to discuss with conservatives - & both parties respecting each other.
    In fact one of my admins is a big time liberal - who disagrees with me about 98.6% of the time. Every now and then I will tell Cathy
    she is not allowed to agree with me - as it does not look good! (if yo)

ps
    If you are on FB and you would......

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A couple of years later, students heard Jesse Jackson speak from the pulpit of Thomas Road Baptist Church!

Jesse Jackson preaches to Jerry Falwell's congregation on apartheid

"'We do not want to...talk about each other, but talk with each other and to agree to agree, or agree to disagree, and to be civil and in search of common ground,' Jackson told parishioners at Falwell's Thomas Road Baptist Church."

"Jackson, invited by Falwell to address his congregation, also called for a 'Christian solution' to nuclear proliferation and urged parishioners to be sensitive to the poor."

jesse.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #9 Jerome, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday morning church pulpit - NO

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm confused. Are you saying a university's role should be indoctrination?

I get that there's a disconnect between discussing "perfect world" scenarios and discussing reality.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree.

The reason is that Christianity is a presupposition for a seminary student. The seminary holds certain positions (in accordance with its charter) but it's role is to teach and have the student work out his own positions within Christian teaching.

For example, I did not know that my professor teaching theology was a Calvinist until a conversation after the course was concluded. He was careful to teach without imposing his positions or even the positions of the seminary on most secondary doctrines (the seminary did hold some secondary doctrines as essential presuppositions for the organization.... But these were presupposed rather than indoctrinated, and they could be challenged by the student).

The problem with indoctrination is it assumes it's position so highly questionable that most will not arrive at that position through a more open study of God and Scripture.

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you know a university professor who ultimately does not desire students to adopt his/her views?

I spent many years prowling the academic halls. The teaching was to bring conformity to the students.

Though the instructors would be offended to admit such, often the tone of voice, the looks given, the body language spoke far more intimidatingly to the students who did not conform.

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, I understand why you responded as you did.

However, if critical thinking was merely a matter of teaching and applying certain skills (interpretation, analysis, observation, inference, problem solving, ...) then those tools can be taught in a nature walk.

The seminary level (graduate level) is also laced in academics that are not critical thinking but more often “learning about” oriented.
    The under graduate level is even more “learning about” oriented.

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not even this guy?

Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you're saying here. I can't say that my experiences matched yours exactly. But...

While recognizing that indoctrination does occur, and recognizing that sub par teachers exist;

Is it your opinion that (in a perfect world) a university (at the bachelor's level) should be in the indoctrination business or should they be in the teaching critical thinking business?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is what I mean about indoctrination. Here is an article from the Texas Tribune.

Unable to meet with her students in person because of the pandemic, Taylor Lifka, an advanced English teacher at Roma High School, set out to personalize and add warmth to her virtual classroom space.

She displayed a collage of posters, just like the ones in her real classroom: One read “Black Lives Matter,” another included a rainbow flag and a third had a phrase written in Spanish that highlights solidarity between Black and brown people. On the digital chalk board, she asked students to put their names and preferred pronouns in the chat box. Then, she posted a screenshot of her classroom on her social media.

On Sunday, one day before she was supposed to welcome her students back virtually for the first day of class, a school official told her to take down the signs. She refused. A few hours later, she was placed on paid leave.

“My assistant principal told me, ‘Please take the posters down.’ I guess once that happened, I knew that it might be a rocky road, but considering being put on leave? I never really thought that that was going to be their first step,” she said in an interview with The Texas Tribune.

Roma school officials said that several parents and community members filed complaints to the district about the Black Lives Matter and LGBTQ posters. Lifka was told she could return Tuesday and would be allowed to retain the posters as long as they did “not come to overly disrupt or detract from the educational process or the learning environment.”

“This action was not intended to reflect any form of punishment or admonishment towards Ms. Lifka but was purely driven by a need to review the circumstances and come to a sound resolution for all persons involved,” the Roma Independent School District said in a statement Wednesday.

The English teacher said she won’t return until the district commits to tangible change and supporting “anti-racist policies and tolerance in our classrooms.” Lifka specifically asked the district to provide additional training and clarify guidance for staff regarding inclusion.

“If I just reenter the classroom without any further discussion or action of how is this going to change in our community, then what was all this for?” Lifka said.

Lifka said “this all sort of exploded” after a screenshot of the picture she posted on her personal social media account was shared in pro-President Donald Trump Facebook groups and amplified by Marian Knowlton, a Republican running for the District 31 state House seat.

In a since-deleted Facebook post, Knowlton said the education system was “radicalizing” students and referred to the posters as an example of “leftist indoctrination.” In a separate statement Wednesday morning, Knowlton said she deleted her original post about the virtual classroom — which she said had more than 10,000 comments — after getting harassed online.

Thousands of parents, students and community members have expressed outrage at the school district for punishing Lifka. An online petition asking for Lifka’s reinstatement amassed more than 23,000 signatures as of Wednesday evening.

“Even though [the district] stated that it's not a reprimand … depriving a teacher of teaching — their actual job — I think that's a reprimand in itself,” said Andrik Garcia, a senior at Roma High School who took Lifka’s English class last year.

The Roma High School Student Council, which Lifka advises, released a public statement Tuesday calling her suspension “unjust.” The group said teachers shouldn’t be punished for creating a safe and inclusive environment for students and said it’s not a political statement to stand against sexism, homophobia and racism.

“This is not bias. It’s equality,” the statement reads.

Lifka said the support she's received has been encouraging.

“To see what my kids have done with their voice over this is just unspeakable. That’s the teaching moment,” Lifka said. “Don’t ever doubt that your voice matters because there is power in the people, and there is the power to your voice and what you have to say.”

Lifka said while she was told she could put the signs back up, school officials also warned that she or the school district could be sued because of them. Scott Schneider, an Austin lawyer who specializes in education, said the school district was likely employing a scare tactic to discourage her from displaying the posters.

“I can’t for the life of me think of what a claim would be against her. I can’t think of anything,” he said. “I think that’s baseless.”

Disclosure: Facebook has been a financial supporter of The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan news organization that is funded in part by donations from members, foundations and corporate sponsors. Financial supporters play no role in the Tribune's journalism. Find a complete list of them here.

This article originally appeared in The Texas Tribune at A Texas teacher who posted Black Lives Matter and LGBTQ posters in her virtual classroom was placed on leave after parents complained.​

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll just have to accept that no answer is forthcoming, though I can't fathom why.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, considering recent events, it looks like being friends with Teddy Kennedy really helped Jerry, Jr. be a much better Christian. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought the primary focus was making money? BTW, who is Liberty university?