1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured About to hit the fan in the SBC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Greektim, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

About to the level of your theology.

2. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Whatever the intent of these non-Cals, it sure has started a firestorm in here and I'm sure the Internet will be buzzing over this tomorrow and probably from some pulpits. To the teachers and Pastors here, are you planning on addressing this Sunday at your church?

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

The issue is real.

Today you are seeing this protest.

http://peterlumpkins.typepad.com/pe...-press-on-major-issues-by-peter-lumpkins.html

4. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Now that right there is funny

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, the issue is real. That is not the point. The point is each local church is in charge of how it handles it. In my church, cals and non-cals get along fine, and have for years. If the issue from the SBC became divisive, which it will not, a simple vote solves the problem. It is like the off switch on the TV.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

1. James White is not in the SBC.
    2. mandym is either ignorant or a liar in calling James White a hyper-Calvinist.
    3. James White will make the author of the article look like a 3rd grader tommorrow on the Dividing Line podcast.
    4. no one on this board or those who signed the article would have the courage to call White tommorrow and challenge him.
    5. Lot of tough guys on a message board not so many who go into public debate and face the man one on one.

7. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

well said Grasshopper. I'm set for James tomorrow on the Dividing line, can't wait.

8. mandym

mandym New Member

I never said he was and I don't care.

uh huh....

Not likely

So you want to make the "my guy is tougher than your guy argument. Really?

9. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Caner's had their chance but backed out despite having an agreement. Patterson, Allen and all those big mouths at Southwestern will name call White but won't man up and debate him on the issues. One side is willing to stand up in public and debate these issues and one side makes their case behind a keyboard. So yea, I'll make that argument.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

I think you missed the point, the debate is over.

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm curious why you think the convention would split if the Reformed becomes a majority, when it has not split when the Reformed are in the minority? I see no evidence that Calvinists are planning a takeover. And I have no idea how we could do it.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

And who is it that cares about this?

13. mandym

mandym New Member

There is no doubt that there is always this underlying tension between the two. As has been said it is always the elephant in the room in mixed circles. The squeaky wheels on the reformed side tend to be in your face. We see it on this board. There is a large church in Tennessee that split because a reformed pastor came in without revealing that he was reformed and began pushing change in the church in short order. The current pastor has been able to restore the peace and unity but not before it ran off two other pastors and tore the church apart.

This is what the tension will eventually lead to.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

James White is not a hyper-Calvinist. Do you actually know what a hyper-Calvinist is? Another name is Hardshells. Do you know what they believe?

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Could you cite one or more churches where this has happened?

16. mandym

mandym New Member

Just stating the state is as close as I am going to get. This is the second time I have heard of this and I mentioned the one I did because I have spoken to people directly involved.

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

18. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

1. The author of the first book by a Southern Baptist on theology was by John Dagg who believed the Biblical Doctrine of Grace.

2. The founders of the first Southern Baptist Seminary believed the Biblical Doctrine of Grace; Boyce, Broadus, and Manly.

3. One of the more widely referenced books on theology was by the yankee Baptist, Strong who also believed the Biblical Doctrine of Grace.

4. Grudem who wrote a widely used text on theology also believes the Biblical Doctrine of Grace!

#58 OldRegular, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2012
  19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You have no idea what you are talking about. There is no tension in my church, or any other church locally I know of. Tension between the two in a local church, if it does exist, points to a lack of proper leadership. Do you have any idea what the term leadership means?

People with this mindset are bound to create problems where none exist. If you cannot start an arugment, you will create a strawman and argue with him.

Our church does not tolerate this type of nonsense, from its pastor, deacons, or members. If the SBC becomes divisive in our church, then the SBC will be a faded memory.

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe I can solve your problem Winman. Southern Baptists generally believe that God calls a man to preach. Perhaps these who believe the Biblical Doctrine of Grace are following the instructions that God gives to Timothy through the Apostle Paul, to wit:

2 Timothy 4:1-8
    1. I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
    2. Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
    3. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    4. And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
    5. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
    6. For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
    7. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
    8. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.