1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ACLU

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by freedom's cause, Sep 7, 2005.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is exactly how the aclu has twisted the 1st amendment into something it was never meant to be.

Since you didn't really answer the question, I'll try again.

How does a student led prayer before a student body at a football game between students violate the "establishment" clause of the 1st Amendment?

There is no possible way a sane person could conclude that it is an attempt by the government to "establish" a religion.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I believe I have answered that. Reread my post. It depends on if it is a small voluntary group or imposed on everyone by the state (in the form of the local public school district).

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So MP and Daisy, are ya'll saying that you believe that fear of violating the "establishment clause" trumps the "free exercise clause"?

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you didn't.
    How is a prayer, regardless of who leads it and where, an attempt by the government to establish a religion?

Never mind. You can't answer that question because it is so clear that it is not , a child could figure it out.

Unless you have an agenda...like the aclu , which is the eventual destruction of all manifestations of religion, no matter where, when or how.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see this as an attempt to follow the anti-smoking crusade. In this case, first ban religious expression on government property. Second, ban religious expression in "public" places such as work places, restaurants, and other places where the public gathers. Third, ban it in homes, cars, and other private places.

And I imagine it will all be done "for the children" in the minds of liberals.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

You haven't proven that you've been prevented from "free exercise" of your actual religion.

As someone allergic to tobacco smoke, I really love the smoking ban. I am sympathetic to nicotine addicts, but I'm glad not to have to breathe their smoke.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And some Christians willingly accept imposed limits on how they exercise their faith.

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

And some Christians willingly accept imposed limits on how they exercise their faith. </font>[/QUOTE]How has the ACLU prevented you, personally, from practicing your religion?

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, Daisy, you don't have a problem if my local government high school has a public prayer over the loudspeaker before a football game starts at a government stadium? If you do have a problem with it then you clearly believe that the "establishment clause" trumps the "free exercise clause", although I don't see how anyone can credibly claim that a prayer before a football game is an establishment of religion.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the ACLU is preventing me from engaging in prayer with thousands of other Christians before high school football games.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It must be confusing to be a liberal and a Christian at the same time.

To be bound by Christ to spread the Gospel and bound by your politics to support every effort to stop the spread of your Lord's Gospel, has to cause a lot of inner turmoil. :confused:

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem, carpro, is that there are legitimate concerns about the "establishment clause" such as we would not want to see non-Chritian religions banned by the government nor the goverment favoring one Christian denomination over another. But these concerns can be addressed without supporting the ACLU agenda that goes well beyond these concerns.

I think some Christians need to take a step back and consider what they are really supporting with the ACLU.

14. Magnetic Poles

Slippery Slope Fallacy

15. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Then after all that banning in comes the police state with biometric national ID's, cameras on every street corner, warrantless searches, no charge arrests, cops in black masks and submachine guns, freespeech zones, corporate coruption, and implantable (keeps the kids safe) microchips.

And that's just in the last 4 1/2 years. Wait till ya see what the globalists will let the Democrats do with all that. ;)

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell that to smokers.

17. Magnetic Poles

Yes, the ACLU is preventing me from engaging in prayer with thousands of other Christians before high school football games. </font>[/QUOTE]No it is not. You may gather together and pray with them. You may not use the loudspeakers to force it on others.

My dad used to say "your right to swing your arms ends where my nose begins." That sums it up pretty well.

18. Magnetic Poles

Slippery Slope Fallacy

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/slippery-slope.html

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell to smokers, MP. Tell it to smokers.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So when the ACLU brings a lawsuit against a person(s) for praying before eating a meal at a government school cafeteria(without using a loudspeaker), are you going to support the ACLU?