1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age of accountability

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by freeatlast, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Iconoclast, I am quite aware that Paul is speaking of the nation of Israel being rejected because of unbelief, and the Gentile nations being grafted in. You have only supported my argument, an argument correctly presented by Skandelon many times.

Election is not unconditional, those who believe are chosen, those who do not believe and are "fitted to destruction" are broken off.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman,
    You said this in your post;
    Paul speaks about gentiles coming in worldwide....they also are elected individually to salvation as was the elect remnant in Israel.
    Because you refuse the doctrines of grace you cannot see it.

Election is unconditional.
    As long as this verse is in the bible...the view you keep putting out will be false...the order is never reversed..
    48And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

never the other way around...never....

#62 Iconoclast, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011
  3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Iconoclast, you ignore chapter 11 where Paul says the Gentiles who have been graffed in STANDEST BY FAITH.

Rom 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded but fear:

And you ignore where Paul said if the Jews abide not still in unbelief, God is able to graff them in AGAIN.

Rom 11:23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.

These Jew's fates are not fixed. They are broken off because of unbelief, but if they turn and believe God is able to graff them in AGAIN.

This shows they were originally elect, but were broken off because of unbelief. This shows election is conditional, based upon belief.

You pull scripture out of context which causes you to err.

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Deal with chapter 9 first
    your view of election is completely wrong, not all israel is of Israel

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

I agree. I have said several times now that the elect are those that believe.

The Jews as a nation were chosen by God. But not all Jews believed. Those who did not believe were broken off the natural olive tree.

Rom 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
    14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.
    15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?
    16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
    17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
    18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
    19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
    20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
    21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
    22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
    23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
    24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?
    25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
    26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
    27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
    28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.
    29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
    30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
    31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
    32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

The natural olive tree is Israel. It is the chosen nation. Those Jews who did not believe were broken off. How can you break limbs off a tree that were not first on the tree?

The Gentiles who believe are "graffed in".

Those Jews who continue not in unbelief can be graffed in "again". How could Paul say "again" if these Jews did not first belong to the natural olive tree?

#65 Winman, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro Iconoclast, you posted this to a question I posed to you:

You still did not answer my original question of where the "eternal soul" comes from at the point of conception, Brother. Please answer this concisely as possible, because there are only two viable answers. One, it comes from God, or two, it comes from the union of sperm-egg. Thanks in advance.

7. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Well presented! :thumbs:

Calvinists love Romans 9 but fail to reconcile their views of Romans 9 with Paul's teaching in Romans 11, IMO.

8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually that isn't what the passage is about at all.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Willis,
    Our spirit/soul comes from God. The part of the spirit /soul that can know God is dead because of Adams sin...it is a consequence of the fall.

When we are born again....it is this part of our non physical person that gets quickened ..or made alive.

I do not like to use illustrations as they are flawed,but let me try this;

You come into a large sum of money,buy a new house and brand new appliances.....The refrigerator is brand new...but as long as it is ...seperated from the power supply...it cannot function as it is meant to.
    You can place some cans in there for storage....but perishable items will rot because the cooling element has no power to function as it was designed too.
    man is given His spirit/soul by God. The part that communes with God cannot function properly until God brings it to life.
    We all have a spirit...but is dead because of the fall. It cannot function as it was meant to. 1cor2:14 romans 8;7

A spiritually dead man can function well enough to be religious, worship idols, invent gods of his imagination, be philosophical, even talk about God and the bible....but without Spiritual illumination..they can NEVER come to truth on their own.
    Willis some people in the flesh...can try and imitate real christians for awhile..but eventually you see they do not get it.
    this is why I try to caution some in here to be extremely careful when what you hold goes against the mainstream of what the confessional church has agreed on.
    Willis it is sad to me that I find that I have more in common with Presbyterians than many baptists in here!

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman,

belief does not come before election....all the elect will believe in time.

It is not their belief that makes them elect.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
    17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. But I say, Have they not heard?
    18 Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. (Romans 10:16-18)
    --Even the unsaved Jew had to believe before he was saved.
    Belief always came before salvation no matter which way you look at it.
    One cannot look back in hindsight and say: Oh yes, he was one of the elect because he is saved now. That is foolishness. Only the Lord knows them that are His. Don't pretend that we can know.

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Thanks Winman, this is a wonderful explanation. No wonder Calvinists never mention Jeremiah when discussing Romans 9. It destroys their premise!

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK
    We can know...
    Explain acts 13:48
    Explain jn 10:26

The passage in romans you are offering here..deal more with Faith and belief, rather tha election and belief.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Robert Snow,
    not at all..it establishes the premise if you understand it.;););)..but when you do not want to understand it...anything will do

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one is really saved --that person is indeed elect.

That is not foolishness.

Of course only the Lord knows those that are His own. no one here is saying that we have intimate knowledge of who the elect are as the Lord Himself does.

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See my post #68

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Thanks Bro. Iconoclast for the response. Now we are making "headway" on this topic. Now you said this right here:

I agree with this 100%!!! :thumbs:

That which I bolded....???? I thought that the soul was completely fallen, but it seems you said that only the part can know God is dead?? Please explain this further, please? Also, take into consideration these following verses:

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Luke 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

So if Jesus gave the command to love the Lord with all your soul, then why would just part of the soul be dead? The soul dies when God imputes sin unto an individual. If it(soul) comes from Him in an already fallen state, then the fault of sin lays on Him, and not mankind.

Again, I agree with you 100%!!! :thumbs:

True, but ALL refrigerators were/are made to receive the "power" from their "power source". In you line of reasoning, only some "refrigerators" are designed to receive the "power" from their "power source", while others are not.. But, in actuality, all refrigerators are made to acquire the "power".

1 Cor. 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Rom. 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Funny thing. I agree with these two verses you used. So, they do not help, or hinder your case, if you ask me.

Lets look at this verse here:

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

Now, this has to include all mankind, because all of us have a soul/spirit. I am one who holds to man being two parts, flesh and spirit/soul, where spirit and soul are synomous with each other....but that's another thread right there. So all will come to "knowledge" of God, but only those who heed what He is saying to them, will be saved.

Again, I agree with you 100%!! :thumbs:

I agree.....they having a form of Godliness, but denying the power thereof.

The mainstream church you are talking about is of the Calvinist/DoG persuasion. To those of us who do not hold to Calvinist's beliefs will obviously reject their confessions.

When the Presby's have the same view doctrinally as you have, I can understand why you have more in common with them. I have more in common with the FWB(churches that is), than the "hard-line" Baptists. I don't agree with some of what the FWB believe, but there is much in common. That is what I am looking for. Common ground for us to get along. That is all I want, harmony amongst the Brethern, and Cisterns....LOL

i am I AM's!!

Willis