Age of the Earth...

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by Centrist, Nov 8, 2021.

1. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree about the six days for reestablishing the boundaries of the water and placing the life forms with their habitats in place.

It is evident in Genesis that God did not have to call into existence the water and dirt, they were already in place. That in no way brings the six day creation into question, but does explain why science is wrong when they look at the age of the planet, and think it was always the way it is.

The planet as it is dates about 6 millennium.

2. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice the word "as" and not "is"

3. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The heavenly bodies (stars and constellations) would have marked the rotation; however, you are correct that 24 hours may or may not have been the timing, for it would depend on the speed of rotation an the axis point.

I suppose this isn’t the thread to suggest the earth rotates as different speed according to where on earth you are.

Course my wife has ask me that question a few times when I don’t show up when she is ready. :)

4. Two Wings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I fly from London back to the States in the winter, we typically fly far north to minimize the strong west winds ... great circle, too (distance) ... when that departure time from London is only a couple hours from sunset in London, you see the sun set. Then it appears to rise in the west as the airplane gets to around 60N latitude in the route ... then of course it sets again because the airplane isn't faster than the rotation of the earth.

Did I just have two days pass ... or was just 11 hours.

time is time. the movement of the celestial bodies is set ... but we don't NEED these things to move to have time pass.

Therefore, I find for that phrase "evening then morning" to mean something other than a 24 hour day, there's a requirement to substantiate the alternative meaning.

Hence, I will operate on the understanding that God set our week in the beginning ... with the creation of the universe in 6 earth days, resting on the 7th.

5. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My children have often flown to asia, and experience the phenomenon.

Me, I’m satisfied with my feet on the ground until the Lord comes.

6. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus suggests that he was.

7. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly it says that the starts and other celesital bodies were put there to MARK the time, not to be the time.

8. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our solar system dates about 4.5 billion years. Earth's crust about over 3 billion. Our know universe about 13.7 something billion years. I suspect it is older. Genesis 1:1.

I also believe Genesis 1:3-31 to be literal 6 earth days. Day 1, God lit up our Sun. Day 4. The Sun, Moon and stars became visible in our Earth's sky.

What I personally believe being a Christian since 1962. No one needs to agree with my view.

9. Two Wings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    only folks who don't really believe what they're saying say this about their own view.

In my humble, but accurate, opinion

;)

10. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you saying?
    Thinking I am wrong one thing. Calling me a liar is another.

11. agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t have this same thinking, but neither am I stating it is wrong.

my own opinion runs along the line that the declaration of God after moving through the darkness was the first pronounced statement of redemption. “Let there be light” is then seen as the Lord saying, “I am the light of the world.”

That tends to lock in the moment (time thinking) in which the book of life was formed, Christ died, and salvation was in place when the world was formed.

it also accounts for the delay of the Sun until three days later after the division of water, and light, both signifiers of life by the Lord.

Again,this is merely my opinion, and is worth nothing but perhaps causing one to think.

12. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The mean velocity of the solar wind from our Sun to Earth is about 310 miles per second. So it takes an average of 3.47 days for particles from the Sun's atmosphere to reach Earth. About 4 days. Does not prove my view. But interesting.

13. Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Funny thing is, Mars' day is not the same as Earth's day. Likewise in other solar systems / universes.

14. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

But if a-millennialism or even Preterism is true ( which I can find no evidence for it in the Scriptures ), then there's a 37 year gap ( 33 A.D. to 70 A.D. ) between the 62nd week ( when Messiah is cut off, or killed ) and the end of the 70th week ( Daniel 9:25-26 ).

( 62 - 70 ) x 7 = 56, not 37...

The math still doesn't work, neither has there been anyone in history ( yet ) who has confirmed a covenant with many for 7 years, and in the middle of that 7 years entered the sanctuary of the temple at Jerusalem and declared himself to be God.

15. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't seem to find that in the Bible.
    Is this what man's science is saying, or is this something that God is saying?

God tells His people not to trust men ( Psalms 118:8, Isaiah 2:22, Jeremiah 17:5 ).
    I think I'll go with Him on this, and the best that I can find in His word comes out to around 6-7,000 years.

Scientists can be wrong ( and are often wrong, IMO ), and we're talking about the same unbelieving scientists ( for the most part ) that tell us that there is no God and that ( again, for the most part ) believe in evolution...
    Despite God's word saying that all men know who He is and have no excuse ( Romans 1:18-20 ).

If most of them can deny that God exists, even though He says that they know who He is, can we count on the scientific community at large not to lie about creation and the age of the earth?
    I don't.
    I agree.

16. RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot find the age of the earth or of the universe stated in the Bible.

Question: How was the geocentric vs heliocentric solar system question resolved?

Hint: Not by a direct reference in Scripture.

17. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave, first, it doesn't bother me, at all, how old the earth is. Knowing the scientist, and his deep commitment to Christ, helps me be comfortable with an old earth. My friend has no desire to take away from our King.
    Here's an interview Roger did, entitled "Faith, Science and Life on Mars" that may be interesting. Roger, like you and me, seeks God in His word and holds similar beliefs to us.

18. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    The exact age is not listed, but a man named Ussher did a decent job of it, I think, and having studied the Scriptures and working out the details for myself, let's see how old it is...

From Abraham to David is 14 generations.
    David to Babylon another 14 generations.
    Babylon to the Lord's birth, 14 generations ( Matthew 1:17 ).

How long is a generation?
    Never mind, scratch that.

On second thought, there's no need to work it out for myself ( which anyone should be able to do, if they are careful enough, IMO ) and create a wall of text doing it, as there are other sources that have done it.
    Here's one of them, and it is Ussher's careful chronology of the Bible:

Chronological Index of the Years and Times from Adam unto Christ | Houston Baptist University

So,
    1656 + 422 + 430 + 480 + 419 + 70 + 483 + 2,021 = 5,971.

Incidentally,
    The Hebrew calendar puts us in the year 5,782.

That's how old the earth is ( give or take a few hundred ), IMO.

19. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I see it, it wasn't.

I'm of the opinion that the geocentric model is the correct one.
    I'm also of the opinion that the earth does not rotate.

For example, if the earth were rotating some 1,000 miles per hour ( circumference of earth = 24,901 miles, divided by 24 hours = 1,037.54 mph ),
    then any object leaving its gravity well should transcribe a definable arc directed away from the direction of rotation...
    But there isn't one when something like a spacecraft takes off, is there ( unless it makes its own arc )?

Another example:
    Shoot a gun ( or an arrow ) straight up, and if there's no wind, the bullet ( or arrow ) will land on your house ( or your head ) instead of traveling away from you in the opposite direction of rotation, landing a fair distance away...

Given that the ground is moving at over 1,000 miles per hour relative to the mass of air that's not nailed to it by anything other than gravitational pull.

To use an analogy, imagine taking a basketball and covering it with oil 6 inches deep...
    then imagine trying to get the oil to travel at the same speed ( and in the same direction ), top to bottom, as the surface of the rotating basketball,
    and I think that you may have an idea of why I don't believe that the earth rotates.

Apart from God's word telling us that the sun is what is doing the moving,
    what we have are what the Lord describes as untrustworthy men telling us that the earth is doing the moving...

Don't we?

20. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, it's more provable that the heavenly bodies are doing the moving and the earth is standing still ( as the Bible describes ), than the reverse.
    Simple physics are all that's needed...

1) In Joshua 10:12-14, the Lord makes the sun stand still.
    If the earth were doing the moving, then everything on the earth would have been thrown into itself ( or off it ) by the sudden stop....

Everything moving at over 1,000 miles per hour would have kinetically "hit a brick wall" and crammed into everything else ( anything living would have been dead in a matter of seconds ), piling up in a tremendous wave of unimaginable height and mass, that would have moved around the earth until it all settled back down...

For however long it took for that mass ( of water, earth, bodies, buildings, rock, and plant and animal life ) to stop moving.

2) In 2 Kings 20:8-11 ( Isaiah 38:8 ), the Lord made the sun go back 10 degrees...

Same situation, only this time the sudden stop, sudden reversal, sudden stop again and sudden spin-up to full speed would have not only killed every living thing on the planet, it would have given us an even worse picture of what I have described above.