1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age of the Earth...

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by Centrist, Nov 8, 2021.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In closed genealogies there are no gaps in time or missing names. Open genealogies there are gaps in time and missing names. This latter view I believe is the Biblical view.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Must we really have the Earth's true age? How does it make our lives better?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to be a wise-guy, lol, but if there was a great catastrophe, according to what is also taught in Gensis 1, wouldn't there have been a few things missing from that which existed prior to the catastrophe?

Here are a couple things that might not have been around in those days:

1. Light;

2. A division between light and darkness;

3. Night and Day;

4. the firmament that divided the waters from the waters;

5. lights in the firmament to divide the night from the day;

6. Whales;

7. Every living thing that moveth;

8. the heavens: meaning the sjy and the surrounding universe.

Well, I guess you get the idea.

Whatever this catastrophe, it wasn't as bad as the Tribulation:

Mark 13:19
    For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.

Peter seems to have been under the impression that nothing has changed since creation:

2 Peter 3:4
    And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

I am a young earth creationist, and as one, I have to say that I don't feel this is an issue worth division in the Body. I am surprised (a little) of the accounts of people being ridiculed because they don't accept YEC. I've never actually been interviewed the first time by any Pastor, and I have been a member of a number of Fundamental Baptist fellowships. I don't, as some do, take a hyper-literal approach to Scripture, but I do see that Creation is referred to several times in books beside Genesis, and they always seem to speak of the same event.

Exodus 20:11
    For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It is within that six day period that we are told God created the heavens and the earth. He rested the seventh. Just not possible to squeeze the millions, I'm sorry, the billions of years of Evolution in there.

If there was something that "became" without form and void, it was missing quite a few things we are told are created in those six days.

Now, squeezing thousands of years between the 69th and 70th Week ...

... no problem.

;)

God bless.

4. dad2

dad2 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Faith makes life worthwhile. Believing that Abraham really lived and that there was a flood is part of believing God and His word. Noah was a real man and lived many centuries so he was not that far removed from Adam. So if Adam, for example died, say, 935 years after the universe was created, and Noah was already 500 years old when the flood came, they were not really all that far apart. The time from the creation till Noah and some other people is not really hard to determine with the bible, give or take a century or two. So the approx age of the earth and creation is basically known. Those who obfuscate, doubt, and try to confuse the issue are not believing Scripture, nor inspiring others to the faith they don't have.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that Adam lived long enough that he would have known Noah Grandfather.