1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

All There Is About Parousia

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And the church said.... AMEN!

• Like Like x 1
  2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thought I did “prove it”.

Did you not agree by indicating post #101 was a winner?

I responded to your acknowledgment of agreement you indicated, but then you seem to have changed your mind.

So, I will drop it, because I proved it.

3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, I see that you look to other then Scripture for foundational truth.

Interesting.

4. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Im not sure how me leaving a Full preterist question to a Full preterist is looking to "other then Scripture".

So after making that accusation about me, Please explain it.

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simple, you look to others for truth rather then agreeing with the statements that have Scripture validating Scripture.

For example is this thread. It has been show by consistent use of Scripture the definition and application of the word parousia.

Yet, you would look for ultimate approval from some human source.

Why not simply agree with the Scripture, and allow Scripture to modify your thinking?

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You talk like a partial preterist. At one point you said you were "leaning preterist," and that that point I said you had already "fallen," but you never answered that. All I can go by is what you write here. I do know that you don't believe in literal interpretation.

You have opposed my interpretations on this thread, anyway, so that means you are at a minimum a fellow traveler of the preterists.

7. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Partial Yes, I have yet to hear arguments besides from Don K Preston about Full Preterism.

I did just read John R Rice articles on the immanency of the Return of Christ. Very well written, I just do not agree.

Then why would I answer this question?

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the thread's almost done and I haven't gotten to parousia in the general epistles yet.

Jas 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

Jas 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

James would not be saying "unto the presence of the Lord," since we have the Holy Spirit within us. He is talking about the 2nd Coming in both of these verses. As for the "draweth nigh," I know someone's going to complain about that. I have no problem with it. But before someone says, "See, he meant AD 70," that was still many years away, so that won't work.

This is quite obviously the incarnation and transfiguration. It is not about the second coming since the verbs

2Pe 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were] from the beginning of the creation.

This is a general statement about an event, not about a presence. It can't mean "presence," since Peter knew he had the presence of Christ with him through the indwelling Holy Spirit.

2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Though not mentioning Christ, this refers to the end times, in particular when Christ will create the new heavens and the new earth. That is not a presence, but an event.

1Jo 2:28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

Since this speaks of Christ's appearing, then the parousia in this verse is parallel to it and has to mean an event, the 2nd Coming.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. I'm not surprised.
    Because in every single one of our interactions on these recent threads, you have taken the side of the preterists.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In case I don't get back to this thread, here's a hint to the preterists. There's a reference in Josephus that seems to mean an appearance by Yahweh, using the word parousia. Ready, Set, Go! ;)

11. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not take the side of Full Preterism. Although im not one to quickly dismiss.

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When it is closed, it will be without prejudice. So, you're free to start a Parousia Part 2

13. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey, at least I am reading the articles right?

Do you ever find Christians more concerned about the technical details of prophecy, more concerned about speculation as to the time of Christ's return than about soul-winning?
    John R Rice.

I enjoy this "debating". I know it may tick you off or what ever, but it has gotten me deeper in the bible then Ive sadly been in a while.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. We'll see. There is more I could say.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep up the good work.
    This is a classic quote by him--pure John R. Rice. I spoke yesterday in our college chapel. The VP, Dr. Jim, had asked me to speak about my Granddad, so I reminisced. So many great memories growing up in the "Rice Clan." We lived with revival principles all the time.
    I'm glad to know that.

16. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That must be an amazing thing to actually remember him...I was watching some old B/W video of him preaching, I never even heard of him ( I probably have but didn't know it) before I came here.

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 0300 Pacific/1100 GMT.

18. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apply it to yourself. You have not provided one quark of PROOF that the events you SAY have already happened, HAVE already happened! Jesus' parousia is still to come.

19. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 24:29 renders partial preterism false.

20. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.