Altar Calls

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by VoiceInTheWilderness, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Terry_Herrington New Member

You removed some of my post and claimed it was an attack. That is not true. I was not attacking anyone.

You moderators need to practice "free speech" on this board. I have been careful to not call anybody names and not to personally attack anyone.

It is unfair to remove what I say and leave a messge accusing me of something that is simply not true.

2. massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

terry have your read some of the concerns regarding altar calls? there are some good sites that explains some of the problems with altar calls. i believe many people believe it is necessary to go forward to be saved, that can be a problem.

3. Terry_Herrington New Member

Massdak,
    Yes, it would be a problem for someone to think that they have to walk down the isle to be saved.

At the alter calls I am familiar with, this has not been preached. In fact, people who attend the meetings I am accustomed to seeing are specifically told that going down an isle or not has no bearing on their salvation.

Hopefully pastors giving alter calls should stress that it is what Jesus Christ did alone that saves. Nothing else.

4. C.S. Murphy New Member

Terry I removed your comment that anyone who is against alter calls can't be baptist. I did it beacause I felt it was unnecessary to the discussion and that it would be considered an attack by some who had posted their concerns with alter calls on this thread. I feel this is evidenced by the fact that two posters responded to your words before I had the chance to remove them. I agree with alter calls but we shouldn't call those of another opinion non baptist.
    Murph

5. C.S. Murphy New Member

Terry H please check your PM's
    Murph

6. Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but I don't drag them out and get down to every little thing so that I can get a crowd at the altar. When I am not preaching at times I go to the altar though I know God is with me in the pew as well as up front because people need to see that their leaders hear and respond to messages and need to pray for themselves lest they think we are supermen.

7. WonderingOne New Member

Amen Dr. Bob. I've seen all those tactics used to induce people to walk the aisle. Who hasn't heard an altar call story about somebody who refused to come forward on Sunday night and unexpectedly died the following week? But if the deceased hadn't been under the convicting influence of the Holy Spirit on Sunday night, it would have made no difference anyway.