1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

America in Bible Prophecy

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

#141 Grasshopper, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
  2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good points - all.

in Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed -- and he argues that just as the world was destroyed by water -- so in the future by fire to the point that the very "elements melt with fervent heat" --- John describes this in Rev 21 saying that the "present heavens and earth passed away".

Exactly - you would have to spiritualize away the entire flood event in order to spiritualize away the 2nd coming event of 2Peter 3.

Note - Peter does not say "one day is a thousand years" -- he says "with God one day is AS a thousand years AND a thousand years AS one day". He says both!

Thus he is not describing a time ruler - but rather a time principle for God's time -- a day is not too short for God -- nor a 1000 years too long.

However IF There is also a prophetic ruler here -- then the closest you get is that just as the earth was made in 6 days and God rested the 7th -- so we have the work of salvation from sin for 6,000 years and then then 1000 year millennium.

Bingo! That is the only interpretation that takes into account all the details in the chapter!

in Christ,

Bob

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Which of course fits perfectly with "immediately AFTER the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened..." Matt 24 where we see the 1260 years of dark ages closes with the dark day event of the 18th century.

Obviously the reader notices that at no point does Christ in Matt 24 or John in Rev 6 say "all these signs happen two seconds apart".

so in the follow of time - we find ourselves at the point of Rev 6:13 going into vs 14 -- anticipating events there as the next to come.

And so also in Matt 24 we are just prior to the "powers of heavens will be shaken" but after the falling of the stars.

The amount of time between the events is not specified IN the text NOR does the text argue that all the signs happen two seconds apart. Nor would such an assumption be warranted from the text.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Michaeneu

Michaeneu Member
    Site Supporter

[FONT=&quot]I haven’t had any time but for peripheral attention here, but that has changed. Grasshopper wrote concerning my issue with the song of Moses: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Exactly what specific future perspective is the song of Moses referring to? The perspective is that of God’s and commences with finding Israel/Jacob in the wilderness, the time of the exodus (verse 10 and already past tense from Moses perspective here), and ends with the final destruction of their enemies and their ultimate restoration upon their land forever secure from those who God had used to chastise them (verses 36-43). The song of Moses is hardly from the perspective from the last days when it commences from the time of the exodus and ends with the consummation. Preston is up to his usual scriptural gymnastics and that is hardly sound hermeneutics. The specific verse in question, 35, is immediately followed by forecast the God will have compassion on Israel, specifically Jerusalem or Judah, at a future time when “their strength is gone and no one is left” and Isaiah prophecies of this specific event (this is prophetic eschatological intrusion).

“Awake, awake, stand up, O Jerusalem, which hast drunk at the hand of the LORD the cup of his fury; thou hast drunken the dregs of the cup of trembling, and wrung them out. There is none to guide her among all the sons whom she hath brought forth; neither is there any that taketh her by the hand of all the sons that she hath brought up. These two things are come unto thee; who shall be sorry for thee? desolation, and destruction, and the famine, and the sword: by whom shall I comfort thee…. Thus saith thy Lord the LORD, and thy God that pleadeth the cause of his people, Behold, I have taken out of thine hand the cup of trembling, even the dregs of the cup of my fury; thou shalt no more drink it again: But I will put it into the hand of them that afflict thee; which have said to thy soul, Bow down, that we may go over: and thou hast laid thy body as the ground, and as the street, to them that went over.” Isa. 51:17:-23

We know the fall that is forecasted in the song of Moses pertains to what happened in Jerusalem or Judah by Paul’s expository in Romans 10 and 11 (Rom. 10:19).

Ironically Preston interprets Isaiah 51 as “projected imminence”, a transitory analysis the last days; such hyper-preterist gymnastics involves Jerusalem finding relief from their enemies at the very time that their judgment comes upon them at the hands of the Romans, at the very time their foot slides. This is a non sequitur as much of Postmillennium is; mere scriptural gymnastics to shore-up its faulty foundations. In truth the Jews have continued to be grafted in again since that time, which supports the inauguration or advancement of the kingdom that awaits its consummation or accomplishment only after the time of the Gentiles is fulfilled, when the Jew’s blindness ends, a protracted sense of “the last days”. Only after a protracted time, the last days, is the cup of God’s fury is taken from the Jews and given to them that have afflicted them. Preterism’s grasp of temporal indicators is completely untenable.

There are several texts that expound upon the last days in the NT; I’m going to analyze but one here.

“This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come…. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.” 2 Tim. 3:1, 12,-13

There can be no doubt that Paul is addressing those in Christ, the church here and the era portrayed, the last days, is a protracted time, not just the event of the cross until 70 AD. The Postmillennialist and Reconstructionist paradigm that portrays this age as the consummated kingdom succeeding the parousia simply refuses to grasp the scriptural and temporal evidence that the consummated kingdom is one in which Christ sits upon his throne on this earth and establishes true a lasting peace, which certainly represents total security for the church/Israel, from those who would persecute them. Christ’s kingdom establishes true peace not the impostor that Supersessionism invents. Supersessionism or Postmillennialism hasn’t a leg to stand on here and that is why it took a huge nose dive in esteem and advocates commencing with the great wars of this century. Unfortunately it is rearing it head once again.

No to your response and my reiteration to “prophetic eschatological intrusion” of verse 36 in the song of Moses against the forecast of Judah’s rejection of the stone the builders rejected. We have the forecast of Judah’s fall and judgment and then the advancement of the kingdom in the protracted last days, which culminates in the consummation or accomplished kingdom at the end of the time of the Gentiles—and that era being forecasted way back in Genesis 17:4.

Michael
    [/FONT]

#145 Michaeneu, Nov 14, 2009
  6. Michaeneu

Michaeneu Member
    Site Supporter

Obviously you didn’t grasp my meaning when I stated that those certain expositors made a mockery of preterism’s use of temporal indicators. In light of my expository of the song of Moses this still holds true even though they did drink from the fountain of covenant eschatology, of which I was well aware. Further evidence is in what they had to say on 2 Timothy 3 and Clarke’s comment on the temporal indicator in the Olivet Discourse.

7. Michaeneu

Michaeneu Member
    Site Supporter

In reference to my expository on Zephaniah 1:7 you wrote.

You’re sidestepping my thesis. Zephaniah announced the immanent “day of the Lord”, which even you had to acknowledge was fulfilled within a generation, and joined it without chronological distinction to distant eschatological events (Zep. 1:2-18; 3:8). Here we have prophetic eschatological intrusion, the prediction of the distant consummation of the Messianic kingdom intruding without any chronological indication into an event that predates it by millenniums. If anyone is slicing and dicing that would be the one that doesn’t address the issue.

And we have the exact idiom used in the OT for a judgment in their time that is used in the NT for one that is future, which advocates the idiom has more than one use as type to an anagogical or eschatological event. And this is exactly the paradigm that Christ used in the Olivet Discourse. He pronounced the immanent judgment in 70 AD and without any chronological distinction jointed it with the distant eschatological consummation of the kingdom. Christ method is nothing more that that of the OT prophets and Preterism fails to grasp this.

As to Isaiah 13, what specifically do you want addressed? And if you can’t grasp the aforementioned you’re hardly going to reveal anything to me about Isaiah 13, but I’m always open to the light; bring it on.

#147 Michaeneu, Nov 14, 2009
  8. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, but then if there is no amount of time specified, then the natural assumption would be that this is a cloely occurring sequence of events. Entire centuries is way too far apart. The same people are not even involved in the events!

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that the time is way long -- but the signs are there all the same.

Here is something to consider -- while I insist that all Bible timeline prophecies must be left "intact" so no slicing an dicing them -- and inserting unknown multi-millennial gaps into prophecy timelines - I do admit that the 1260 years of dark ages persecution is not the only one that is going to come upon the world. That in fact a much shorter one is coming -- a "great" tribulation invovling much higher numbers of saints persecuted and possibly slain - but a much much shorter period of time.

Given that fact - it is entirely possible that "once again" we will see those signs appear immediately following that persecution.

In Rev 7 the four winds of strife and war are withheld until the saints are all sealed. But once the saints are sealed -- it all breaks loose! So while those signs may very well repeat themselves after those events - I believe that it will be too late for the sinner to do anything about it - because the saints will already have been sealed.

As Christ said at the end of Rev 22 there comes a point where He says "Let him who is filthy be filthy still".

This means that even if there is a "repeat" shorter sequence coming -- it will not benefit the lost. It is only the larger sequence I have pointed to that serves as a warning to the lost to accept salvation now - before it is too late. If they wait for that much shorter sequence - they will be merely serving as mourners to their own funeral. Like the wicked world watching the ark of Noah - for those 7 days after the door was shut and the rain had not yet fallen.

Their doom was sealed -- but they did not know it. Signs at that point were of little use to them.

in Christ,

Bob

#149 BobRyan, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2009
  10. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

OK, interesting. So it's a multiple fulfillment. IIRC, SDA's taught that the Dark Ages persecution was the Great Tribulation (6th Seal), and that the only thing left to happen in our future was the rise of the last head or horn of the beast and the return of Christ. I imagine they did also say there would be more persecution, especially since Sabbath/Sunday is made to become the issue Christians are supposedly percecuted over (Mark of the Beast).

11. billwald

billwald New Member

Wonder how the Bible will be interpreted in 4012AD or 40012AD if Jesus doesn't show?

12. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Exactly right. The prophecy in the NT was written by and in many cases to Jews, thus we shouldn't be surprised by the revelation that the style used was that of the OT prophecy. The failure by many to grasp this has lead to many errors, not the least of which is preterism.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Dan 8:14 - the angel of Daniel 8 and 9 tells Daniel that the world has 2300 years from the time of the decree to rebuild Jerusalem (see Ezra 7) until what the Angel calls "the time of the end".

That 2300 years was up in the 19th century. So while this does not mean that the 2nd coming "must be tomorrow" it certainly does not allow for any more centuries.

The same is true for the metric of the 6000 years of history of sin - followed by the 1000 year millennial rest for the Earth. "Many more centuries" is not in the Bible plan.

in Christ,

Bob

14. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, but that brings us to another point. The SDA's, i believe, ae the ones who led the rigid "6000 year" idea, and add in the typical dates, Creation: 4004BC; Christ= 4BC, then the 6000th year was 1997, which is more then 7 years ago, and neither the beginning of the 7 year tribulation, nor the return of christ has occurred yet. So then, we must begin shifting the dates, so maybe the Creation was after 4004BC. How much more after? Centuries? Now, you're changing your "young earth" to be even younger! The next thing will be, maybe it's not exactly 6000 years. Or eventually, you'll have to go with the 10.000 year theory like most of the rest of the YEC's.
    Or just to do 1844 all over again, and say Christ is really doing something in Heaven again.
    So if they were so sure, but wrong back then (approaching two centuries ago already), that can happen again, so then the question of what they will be teaching in 4012 does make sense.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hint: There are no "SDA" doctrines regarding 4004 BC or 4BC or 1997.

If one reads side comments carefully from Adventist writers in the 19th century you can find statements showing that they believed that from Adam to Christ is about 4000 years - but it is not clear whether that is the birth of Christ, the baptism of Christ or simply that general century. They never said.

As for 1844 - Adventists have never backed away from the Dan 8 point that 1844 started the Day of Atonement phase of the heavenly sanctuary -- in which the Daniel 7 court room scene was begun -- the court sits -- the books are opened (to quote Daniel).

in Christ,

Bob