1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amish Couple Sues 2 Agencies

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rlvaughn, Sep 6, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amish Couple Sues 2 Agencies Over Photos Their Faith Forbids

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm. I've been to Indiana - I know the Amish don't like cameras but when we were there visiting it seems they were tolerated - "you know it's the English".

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could be Washington, Indiana, which is southern Indiana. Indiana has many Amish. They are farmers and excellent carpenters. We make Muslims take photographs so we should make Amish take photographs, also. Otherwise, they will just have to go to Canada.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed. When in Indiana I saw a man using several horses dragging a plow. I thought of Elisha with the 12 oxen.

5. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They don't go to school past the eighth grade. They pass through downtown Indianapolis on the buses going to visit relatives. A lot of them are in Pennsylvania. Dozens of them worked on the construction of Noah's Ark in Kentucky, the largest wooden structure in the world at 510 feet long, 85 feet wide and 50 feet tall (Hope I got that right), because no one is any better of a carpenter than they are.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was astonished at their business skills. I couldn't figure out how they could justify owning a business (like a restaurant for instance) and not have an automobile or computers or do they hire the "English" to take care of stuff? that's what I heard.

Anyway it was great to see their skills at making stuff - furniture, clothes, etc all by muscle and hand.

7. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sort of jaded by them. They sell cakes and pies and loaves of bread here and there whereas other people would have to comply with board of health regulations. Of course, they are a very clean so there probably is no hazard. I don't think that I would want to be dressed like them--is it nineteenth century when they stopped the clock? And I would not like to live without electricity. And I started driving a tractor when I was just a kid so I like motor vehicles. Their ranks may be thinning as some of them are marrying distant relatives. As for their cooking, it is like Hoosier farm cooking so I grew up with it and you don't have to be Amish to have that. My Dad liked them. I would like to find one to build a privacy fence for me because I know that it would be done right, and I probably could ask around because there are a lot of them around Indiana's Turkey Run State Park, perhaps our pretties state park, about one hundred years old, west of Indianapolis, and I have seen some of them here at the lumberyard.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a piece of Amish apple pie (or so I thought) , I wondered how this pie could not be sinful it was so good :) (a common mistake I make a lot) , it could have been more so with ala mode.

But, I'm wondering how one makes ice cream without a modern appliance.

They can be hazardous to your health on the roads. Horse buggies and automobiles don't mix.

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In general I have deep respect for the practices of the Amish. On the other hand, I guess I am so steeped in "picture culture" that the idea of photos being graven images and idolatry is very foreign to me. One thing I thought of, though, is that while this connection between photos & graven images seems pretty tenuous, on the other hand the biblical principle to not sue at law seems fairly clear.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, the Amish seem to have no qualms about taking and handling the money of the "English" which by the way is covered with graven images.

I took lots of pictures in our trip to Indiana.

Best thing to do is not even ask about the pictures. Just take them. I asked once in a store which was run by a lady who had knitted, crocheted, sewn many articles of clothes, blankets, quilts... got a sour look (Amish sour) and she answered "OH, OK one or two".

Are there any former Amish here at the BB to explain their culture?

#10 HankD, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  11. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this case I'd say if one's faith forbids having a picture taken, then don't have the picture taken and accept the consequences. Seems like there was a case awhile back of a Muslim woman wanting to be photographed with her face covered for her driver's license.

#11 rlvaughn, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't help laughing at that.

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, here it is. Goes back to 2002.
    Muslim Woman Sues State Over Drivers License

I can imagine it now, as the Florida Highway Patrol pulls her over for speeding. The patrolman checks her license and says, "Why, yes, that is your emerald-green eyes and mascara!"

14. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last time I was in Shipshewana, an Amish town in Indiana, which is highly commercialized for tourists, I saw an Amish woman at least dressed as an Amish woman, whipping her SUV into a parking lot while on a cell phone. Say what?
    The Amish are responsible for a lot of puppy mills, which really trips my trigger, & they run their buggy horses into the ground in short order going down paved roads at a fast clip. If the horse doesn’t road founder, it still won’t last long. The horse auctions down there can really break your heart. There will be sea’s of foals, divided by color, who have been ripped from their mother & try to nurse each other as the mares have been rebred in a continuous cycle for the mares’ pregnant urine, which is used to make the drug Premarin. Anything that is profitable, they will do. I also saw a young Amish girl speeding around their property on a large, new, stand up riding mower. So I guess they make exceptions on certain motorized vehicles. OK, enough of my rant for the day.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's probably a lot of misinformation about the Amish view of technology, and there are lots of different Amish who view it differently. I think, basically, that each community sets their own rules. Here is an interesting article about it.
    Do Amish use technology?

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I was at Shipshewana. It was explained to me that most Amish can now ride in a car as a passenger if its for work.

It did seem to me that they thoroughly approved of capitalism with all the Amish enterprises to serve the "English" with quite an exchange of commodity/cash.

17. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Basically, they do not view most technology as evil, they just believe it alters their lifestyle in a manner they do not wish.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another thing is they can have a phone as long as its outside of the house.

That can be a challenge in January in no. Indiana and its below zero :eek:

19. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, won't be talking on it then unless absolutely necessary.

20. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can make ice cream with a hand crank as long as you have the ice to cool it down as you turn the crank until your arm falls off.