1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amy Coney Barrett a mistake?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Calminian, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As though self-professed Protestant practical atheists will not be? I think this is much ado about nothing.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the name of the group?

Is it People of Praise?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe and maybe not but I have seen a testimony by a former member that was troubling. As for me, I just don’t like Catholics. This comes after have been one and recognizing there proclivities.

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a harsh statement. I do not like Roman Catholic theology, but I see no reason to combine the two. Roman Catholicism is no different than any other religion when it comes to its adherents. There are in-name-only Roman Catholics just as there are in-name-only Evangelicals. There are also devout Roman Catholics just as there are Spirit-led Evangelicals. When we consider the attributes of a good SCOTUS justice we are looking for an Originalist view of the Constitution and a commitment to the rule of law. We can speculate all day long on how an individual justice will vote on a given issue. What if Trump is re-elected and the Court takes a 6-3 or even a 7-2 split in favor of Originalism (a.k.a. Textualism)? It is feasible that a case that has abortion as its core could find itself in front of the Court. If enough justices believe the Constitution protects the life of the unborn, Roe v. Wade could be overturned. The Left fears this, but Christians should pray for this to happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    C
    they made a decision to be Roman Catholics did they not? If one makes a decision in favor of choosing to be an RC and supporting that particular movement then I will not support them to any degree. My mother, born & bred Catholic, came to me one day and told me she was done with them principally because of the pedofile issues and coverup that are paramount in the RC Church. She encouraged me to re-evaluate them and gave me her blessing to leave them, which I did.

So my choice is to not support Catholics in any way... that includes politics. I believe that packing the courts with then is wrong and dangerous to the country.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Article VI of the Constitution:

“no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.”

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There's a difference between opposing Catholic theology and denying Catholics positions in society. The idea that Christians should oppose Catholics serving in government is absurd. Would you also deny them the right to be firemen or police officers? How far dos this go? If you found out your doctor was Catholic would you still trust him?

The NT mandate for governing officials in Gentile nations is very simple. Punish evil, and protect (minister) the innocent (Romans 13). There is no doctrinal or faith litmus test in Scripture for governing officials, just as there should not be for a doctor or any other profession. We look for competence. Can they do their job? Are they wiling to punish evil doers and protect the innocent (including the most vulnerable, like the unborn).

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Catholics represent a church theology opposed to Christianity in its true form so if they abide by it then I would not put them in any real position of authority... especially if they are committed to their church teachings... you cannot serve their system of religion and serve in a position of politics...the two are not compatible.
    Now if you tell me Biden is a Catholic then I would say In Name Only. Biden’s real master is politics... that which he derives his money & power from.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yea I know... everyone is equal under the law. However our country is in trouble because we draw no distinctions between those who are preeminent and those born to be obscure. That, sadly, is called ‘democracy,’ which is the common denominator of the barnyard.

11. Calminian

Site Supporter

And if that's true about Biden (I think I would agree with you), he also is theologically opposed to Christianity. Leftism is a false religious system. But more importantly, Biden opposes God's purpose for governments laid out in Romans 13.

God never commanded you to oppose positions in society or government based on based on their position in Christ or their flawed theology. Romans 13 makes it clear, governing authorities include unbelievers. What we look for is competence in that narrow field of governing. Can they punish the guilty and protect the innocent? That's really all there is to it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Calminian

Site Supporter

Real position of authority? God gives gentiles and the nations their authority, and in the highest places. Paul make this clear in Romans 13.

Rom. 13:1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.​

You're confusing Church leadership with national leadership. You're conflating the Romans 13 principle for government officials with the Timothy and Titus test for Church leaders.

You're also being mysteriously myopic in your discriminations. You disallow a pro-life, pro-religion Catholic who agrees with the principles of Romans 13, but allow an anti-life anti-religion catholic (in name only) who diametrically opposes the principles of Romans 13.

And all under the guise of theological purity.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong, wrong, wrong.... your just a hot mess in your slander but that’s you.

14. Calminian

Site Supporter

Your hostile defensiveness betrays you. I was hoping you'd continue to work through this theologically. Your error is very obvious. It's not political, it's theological.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go away.... you are clueless

16. Calminian

Site Supporter

Or I've hit the nail on the head. You're unaware of the Romans 13 principle of government. You'll allow an unbelieving leftist who diametrically opposes the principles of Romans 13, yet deny someone with wrong soteriology who affirms it. Backwards.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope... you are not even close. :rolleyes:

18. Calminian

Site Supporter

Perhaps too close for comfort. You've abandoned defending your theological position.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve done no such thing. :rolleyes: what I’ve abandoned is speaking to you... I haven’t abandon anything else. But speaking with you is like having a conversation with a brick wall. So here is what I’m going to do, I’m putting you on ignore. Bye :D

20. Calminian

Site Supporter

Well, you tried to make a case early on, citing a theological concerns. Not much came of that. Back to emotionalism. I was glad to see you dabbled in theology, at least for a time. Looking forward to more.