1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured And now for the rest of the story- A Muslim boy and his clock

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My position is more like:
    Satan and his machinations have been around since the Fall. Over the years, they have only become more sophisticated. You're putting a date to the formal human advent of "public relations". I'm saying in various forms Satan and his minions (human and non-human) have sought the to achieve the same goals.

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Had I said that I would be called a conspiracy theorist. And I probably will be for saying I agree with you on this. It's not about dates. It's about evidence. There's to much to list and it keeps piling up. I look at the big picture while everyone else seems obsessed with little parts and pieces of it.

And all I have been doing is trying to show the people here how Satan and his minions have been going about creating a world government. The bible says he's going to but nobody wants to see how he's doing it. It's like their minds shut down at the prospect of looking beyond the limits of the false divide they're so hopelessly lost in.

The problem as I see it is Christians today are to conformed to this world and the false left vs right paradigm that blinds them to half the evil going on. Mostly because they're to busy defending the evil doers in their own ranks (political party) to see them for what they are.

If it's pointed out that Hillary Clinton is crooked the lefties go nuts. If it's pointed out the Bushies are crooked the righties go nuts.

The plain facts and all the evidence shows they're all crooked.

And yet we feel compelled to side with one one of these crooks.

Why is that? Why are our preachers who are supposed to be guiding us in this life taking sides with one faction over another? All we hear from them if we hear anything at all is liberals this liberals that, liberals liberals liberals. As if it hasn't dawned on them that the people they choose to side with are just as bad. or worse.

Why are they defending one side over another?

Maybe our preachers are working for Satan to. Maybe he's using them to blind their congregations to the whole truth.

#42 poncho, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
  3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if he had eaten a pop tart so that it looked like a gun--even experts have a difficult time telling the difference between a pop tart shaped like a gun and a real gun.

4. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My nephew was detained for pointing his finger like a gun.

This was about 13-14 years ago, or so.

God bless.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/18/if-it-walks-like-an-influence-operation/

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This reason for suspension, pointing finger like a gun, is taken even more seriously today. If there was a perceived threat, the school had a responsibility to act on it. We don't know all the details of how this kid acted/reacted to teachers, admin staff or cops, so like in Ferguson, Obama should have kept his mouth shut before all of the story is divulged. :thumbs:

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No way!! He can get a lot more traction by railing against what appears to be obvious before it's possibly disproved!!:BangHead:

8. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can see in the reaction to this story the very reason why kids have no respect in schools today. The disrespect for authority is not just seen in the children, but in the parents as well, perhaps because they themselves are anti-authoritarian?

I agree, any perceived threat should be handled with serious and swift action. How it is handled can be debated, but that it should be handled is not in question.

I can say my nephew's "acting up" may have been treated over-zealously by the staff, but that does not negate that there were issues in his life which contributed to the event, meaning, there was a lack of discipline in his life. Because of this, my wife and I removed him from public school and sent him to a private Christian school. A kid diagnosed with ADHD for which they wanted to put him on meds for, after coming under proper discipline and a steady diet of the Word of God in His education...is now one of the most laid back individuals I have ever met.

No drugs.

The underlying causes and issues that result in anti-authoritarian, disrespectful, and any otherwise inappropriate behavior in a setting like the School (where there is an established authority) should be investigated.

And guess who is going to have their pride hurt?

"Oh, my son is a good boy."

"My daughter would never do anything that warrants being targeted as a problem child."

That fact is a goad to any parent that doesn't want anyone to think there was a failure on their part. It is not surprising for a parent to defend their child, which ultimately is actually defending themselves.

In the case in question, it's not for me to judge who did what wrong, all I will say is that if the lack of discipline that is abundant in today's society were addressed, perhaps we would not see issues like this. When I was a kid there was a respect for the Teacher, and certainly for the Principle (if not the person, the position), and "going to the Principle's Office" was something that was a big deal. There was a paddle that hung on the wall in most of them (yes, I was a problem child, lol, and had a number of visits to that office, primarily Junior High), and even if it was never used it stood as a symbol of that authority.

Makes you wonder if children advocates are not still children themselves.

God bless.

9. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doubling down on the Breitbart huh. Keep digging. You cannot legally detain someone if you don't suspect them of committing a crime. This was determined relatively early in the investigation and the boy was also interrogated without his parents consent or legal representation. As a parent I'd want to document that treatment of my son as well so you bet I'm going to get a picture of him in handcuffs.

Again, Breitbart tells one side of the story while omitting the other but we've been through that already. I find it grossly irresponsible to keep posting articles that knowingly continue to post slanderous articles while fully aware there is supplementary information to the contrary available.

Trying to control the direction of the discussion as usual. For people that are big on the Constitution a lot of people are pretty flippant with how this child was treated.

#49 Use of Time, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Why? He thought it was a cool clock. That wouldn't change based upon anything revealed in ALL of the story.

You just got an axe to grind with the President because you want to make sure you can personally link him to every inane thing that happens in the world from the hair on your head falling out to the sun coming up too soon.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly..........

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: Because we know a Muslim would never booby-trap a child with explosives.

#52 Aaron, Sep 19, 2015
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for this substantive rebuttal. Well thought out and supported with credible sources. :thumbs:

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Ok I admit it. I ask people here to provide evidence to support their theories all the time. I either get the sound of crickets or replies like your's.

You don't have to get upset and ugly, unless you can't provide evidence to support your theory. In which case I suppose that's all you can do.

BTW, I enjoyed reading your rebuttals in this thread. They're so well thought out, substantive and supported with credible sources. :smilewinkgrin:

#54 poncho, Sep 19, 2015
  15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need to thank me, Puncho. Next time you go to the moon to prove nobody's been there, just leave a plaque in my honor.

16. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Follow this thought, and you have eliminated at least 50% of the posts here, and at least 2 posters!! (Which would not be a bad idea :thumbs:)

17. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

As an IED expert (not necessarily "bomb" expert; there's a difference), if I saw this, I would immediately assume that it was an ignition/initiation device. Obviously, there are no explosives present, but I wouldn't expect a teacher to know this. In fact, I've had soldiers incorrectly call that type of configuration an IED, when it is just an initiation system.

Upon seeing that, with no prior warning of the child bringing it to school, the school should have been evacuated, the young man in question separated from his peers, and the police called.

I am not condoning the actions of the police force. But the police being called was the right action. However, the action the school took was not enough; it should have been immediately evacuated.

The boy probably should not have been arrested, but he definitely should be let known the gravity of bringing a device such as that into a public area with seemingly no explanation.

Looking at that picture, there is only one component missing to make that an IED; and that's the explosives. The initiation system is there (timer/alarm), the ignition system is there (the current of electricity which would flow to the buzzer for the alarm). It's all there except the explosive. A couple of items which could easily be found in the school's janitorial or medical closet, and with a case that size, you're looking at a device that would be the equivalent of roughly 6-10 pounds of TNT.

I know the rebuttal will be, "But we have all those components in our alarm clocks at home." While this is true, I don't dismantle my alarm clock into usable components and take it into public with me.

I'm not saying the boy was wrong; what I am saying is that what he did wasn't very bright. He brought a suspicious object that not only appeared like a homemade explosive, but had all the components except the actual explosives, into a public place that is currently a hotspot for mass shooting (public school) in a state in which there has been several recent mass shootings. Again, not wrong; just not smart.

As an aside, I tried to find a good, unbiased news source for this. But I couldn't. It's amazing the ignorance though, on both sides. One headline was, "What kind of bomb counts up?" Answer: any of them can. As long as there's an alarm type of component, it can be used. It's just the most frequently used items have a timer that either dings or buzzes when it reaches zero.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The boy was never arrested, he was detained. Those are two different things. Arrested would mean he was taken in and processed and put int jail. The reports of him being arrested are wrong.

19. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Texas Family Code Section 52.025

A child may not be left unattended in a juvenile processing office and is entitled to be accompanied by the child’s parent, guardian, or other custodian or by the child’s attorney.

A person taking a child into custody shall promptly give notice of the person’s action and a statement of the reason for taking the child into custody, to the child’s parent, guardian, or custodian.

He was denied this after requesting it and the police chief had no answer for that particular question when asked by the press.

It sure is great that the Irving police can just disregard the law willy nilly. Even scarier that they did this all of this after it was found out to be exactly what the kid said it was.

I'm sure everyone here would be totally fine with having their child unlawfully interrogated without your consent or presence. Goodness gracious people.

20. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Suppose it would be alright if I take the plaque you're hanging here to honor yourself?

6 pages already? You off for the weekend Squire?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.