1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Andy Stanley and Mass Deception

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by AndyMartin, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Andy Stanley says that when you are growing up you hear stories about Adam and Eve, where two people are running around naked, and says "who can believe that"? and it is a "creation myth". For anyone to say that this is not a direct challenge to the Word of God, where he is actually calling God a liar, then all I can say is that person needs much prayer. I cannot understand why anyone who believes in the fully Infallibility and Inerrancy of the Holy Bible, would want to defend this man, when he openly mocks and questions the Authority of the Bible? This is beyond my understanding!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know The Bible quite well. You can save the insults. If there is a particular point in scripture you would like to discuss, I am game.

3. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he said that, I would 100% agree with you, but he did not say that. Those statements are presented as what ifs as part of the hypothetical he proposed.
    Are you listening to the above short segment or the entire series? If he was saying the Bible was errant, I would join you and pile on him with both barrels. He is not saying that.

4. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I l
    I listened to the entire speech and yes he is undermining the Scriptures. He is relentless in his attacks on the Old Testament. I wish I could find a transcript as it would be easier to point out from that than having someone listen to a 40 minuet speech.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Tennessee Gal

Tennessee Gal Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The statements he made about scripture are very troubling regardless of the larger context or sermon series. There is no context in which those statements can be made better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tennessee Gal

Tennessee Gal Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one doesn't believe the Genesis account of creation, then how can anything the Bible teaches on the person and work of Christ or anything else in the Scripture be reliable ? It is either the infallible, inerrant Word of God or it isn't... no other choice. Andy is teaching heresy ... plain and simple !!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, John Piper does not at all deal with the issues that this video clip raises with AS's criticism of the accounts in the Book of Genesis. Nor the fact that he does not think it important that a person may not accept the Bible is Infallible, as long as they believe in Jesus! This is rank heresy, and cannot be condoned and excused in any way.

Reynolds, may I ask why you are here going to all this length to support AS when it is very clear to all except you, that what he says is against the Bible?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    very true!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I simply cannot understand why some refuse to see that such teaching is heretical and must be condemned, or it will cause even greater problems.

This reminds me of Steve Chalke here in the UK, you wrote about 15-20 years ago, that God was a "child abuser", because He punished Jesus for our sins!!! This guy is supposed to be a Baptist pastor and blasphemes like this? Has he no fear of God? AS is also saying as the devil did to Eve and Adam, "hath God said", which is basically calling God a liar, by questioning His Word!

#31 AndyMartin, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Stanley say the Genesis account of creation is not literal? It is a simple question.

13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know people who were saved for many years before they fully embraced authority of scripture. It is a process.

14. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are not talking about a recent convert who has not been taught all this, we are talking about a guy standing before a crowd as a teacher, teaching heresy. As James 3:1 makes clear teachers are held to higher standards and Stanley is failing by undermining the Scriptures.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what I have just typed from listening to the above video clip:

"The foundation of our faith is not the Scriptures, the foundation of our faith is not the infallibility of the Bible...you can believe the Adam and Eve story is a creation myth, so what, who is Jesus...when I deal with Adam and Eve I quickly say, hey this is one of those odd stories, this is that story you heard growing up about two naked people, running around in a garden, and who can believe that, there are many creation myths"

Can you read here? He CLEARLY says that Adam and Eve is a creation MYTH. This means it is UNTRUE! He questions the Foundation and Infallibility of the Holy Bible

What more do you want?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    AS is the pastor of the second largest church in the US. He did not start yesterday!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another thread devoted to disparaging those that differ.

Lots of young people in High School or College, leave their Christian church because their faith in the validity of the Bible has been undermined. Many thoughtful people have tried to come up with a strategy to deal with the atheist arguments presented as facts in our godless education system.

Spiritualizing scripture (claiming it is allegorical rather than historical) whenever the Bible seems to say something contrary to what is believed to be known facts is one approach. As others have noted, such an approach is deeply flawed and destined for failure.

Rather than burning AS at the stake, perhaps we should prayerfully consider the way forward. Vouchers anyone.

18. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you ever visit the zoo I suggested a long time ago? Your comments about AS are way off base, as is much of your theology Van!

19. AV

AV Member

Andy Martin- I was referring to Andy Stanley here:
    conceal a thing
    Sorry for any confusion!

20. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, he also pastors over church satelittes, and those too lazy to go to church, but set at home in their PJ's drinking their morning java.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.