1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Andy Stanley

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jun 14, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not talking about Charles Stanley for Ray himself has commended him. But anyways can you make a persuasive argument for Andy Stanley?

How is he different than Joel Osteen?

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I'd keep him there. What has he profited you?

Protection of what is perceived as success is of greater importance to some than Biblical truth. Thus these succumb to this and employ political correctness and numbers as proof they are on the right track.

Scripture suggests otherwise. Numbers have never proven this. Ever. There has and always will be a remnant, or, a 'minority'.

Truth is not popular and never has been. These things show evidence that the 'church' has been hoodwinked by culture et al, it is alleged that since these have numbers they must be right, therefore Word becomes secondary to their perceived success. They come first, the Word second because to them experience is the end all, not the Word. Pragmatism at it's deadliest.

We see the fallacy in such a barometer, and many will rush in to support this because such a person endorses their theological flavor in spite of Biblical evidence that it is all in error. Paul predicted this and it continues today; 2 Timothy 3 & 4.

- Blessings

#42 preacher4truth, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just spoke with someone from his church and they suggested I listen to some podcasts. The person said that he does not preach on hell,judgment, and sin as openly as Charles does. The person also was unable to tell me how Andy is different than Joel Osteen. But I will soon find out..

4. preacher4truth

Find out what you can, but isn't sticking with those who lend themselves toward profitable engagement more beneficial for you?

Not that we cannot learn from error, but such are secondary at their greatest level.

I believe that our main learning should stem from those who are Biblically solid, and from those who offer solid Biblical edification. These should be our mainstay. Anything less than this should be from an 'overflow' of learning.

- Blessings

#44 preacher4truth, Jun 14, 2013
  5. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Not to derail the thread but thought of this today. I think this guy has a good point in that our culture is "offended" by a God that demands justice, just in the same way that other cultures are "offended" by a God that could be gracious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f8wiYcmejQ

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not talking about Charles either. I've heard numerous sermons from him, and if you think hes anything like Osteen, its clear you know absolutely nothing about him...making this entire thread nothing but unfounded slander and gossip. Actually do some research and real digging on people before starting the kind of threads.

#46 webdog, Jun 14, 2013
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will have to agree. I think tearing Andy down is like what Scripture warns us against about not devouring one another.

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Then my point is established......personal preference..... No I won't give you a quote or argument. You should be mature and intellectually astue enough to read something and decide for yourself if it aids in your growth.

Andy does not produce trash. He is a man gifted by God to touch peoples lives with the message of the gospel.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I needed to learn from the SOURCE and not rumors and hearsay on the Internet. What I learned in the 2 podcasts I just listened to as I took my walk was that Andy is a great orator. I also learned that his theology leans towards Emergent. I heard some PostMillennialism, but thats not what I did not like. What I did not like was his definition of a Christian which is simply someone whom shows love towards others. Not someone whom has repented of his sin and is a new creation (2 Cor 5:17) and someone that believes Jesus is the only way to salvation (Jn 14:6). Andy may believe that but he did not do a very good job communicating it. So I unsubscribed from his podcasts.

Hmm interesting thread.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=78763

#49 evangelist6589, Jun 14, 2013
  10. quantumfaith

Yay!!!! So your mission is over?

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This entire process should give you pause before making additional critiques and impugning the ministry and character of good men of God in the future.

Please stop doing this.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Translation: I listened to a random podcast with the presupposition that he is an Osteen type pastor, and when he failed to touch on specific things I wanted to hear (its not like he doesnt preach every week and doesnt do series like most pastors), I will chalk him up as emergent, will say he doesnt believe Christ is the only way of salvation (since he didnt specifically say He is in the 2 whole podcasts I listened to) and continue to smear him in front of the world while sticking my fingers in my ears to anything else he has to say.

If this is the way you discern people, you are quite immature, spiritually speaking.

#52 webdog, Jun 14, 2013
  13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read the Truth War & The Jesus you Cant ignore. They are great books that have taught me to fight for the truth and expose the false teachers.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been doing hours of research on the web and have spoke with like minded brethren in Way of the Master groups on FB.

But granted if you have a good argument then please present it. I could not find one on his website.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is you cant even discern who a false teacher is. Ray Comfort teaches one must turn away from their sins to be saved. Thats another gospel.

16. preacher4truth

Brother, when these popular preachers begin to get fuzzy on doctrine, lean on clear and sound doctrine and reject the rest, no matter the opinions of others, and no matter their 'credentials'. Timothy was instructed to do the same and to endure hardness.

Rest upon Scripture, don't succumb to the peer pressure of 'the learned' and 'further enlightened ones'.

:thumbs:

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webdog. You mention you like David Jeremiah correct? Have you read his book God Loves You? If you have a copy of it I want to point you to certain pages..

18. quantumfaith

I think your analysis just might be spot on.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!!! I have been listening to Charles just know and he is speaking clearly on sin and speaking the gospel in plain english. He also said that those that think of Christians being only good people and not people that believe in Jesus being the only way is a counterfeit and damaging gospel.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I havent read that book, and to be perfectly honest, based on the discernment you have shown here, I would hesitate in what you have to say about Jeremiah. The fact p4t is in your corner on this alone should send up red flags :)