1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Andy Stanley

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Evangelist - are you a calvinist?

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moderate yes..

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    5 point? Or does moderate mean 4 point, or less?

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe in Limited Atonement.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do. Catholicism teaches that, as well as Judaism.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

To stop sinning is to keep the law. The law says, "thou shalt not bear false witness". So if you believe you have to stop lying to be saved, you believe you have to keep the law to be saved.

The same with stealing, the law says, "thou shalt not steal", so if you believe you must stop stealing to go to heaven, then you are teaching that a person must keep the law to be saved.

The error arises from the word "repent". People believe the word repent means to stop sinning. This is not what repent means, as the scriptures say God repented many times.

Psa 106:45 And he remembered for them his covenant, and repented according to the multitude of his mercies.

Repent cannot mean to stop sinning, because God often repented in scriptures. No, it means to change your mind, or to change your attitude or belief.

Repent most often means to change one's attitude about one's self and realize we are sinners in need of salvation. This is what John the Baptist taught the Pharisees and Sadducees that came to be baptized.

Mat 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
    8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
    9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Here John the Baptist tells the Pharisees and Sadducees to repent, but then he explains exactly what they must turn from, the false belief that they are saved simply because they are the physical descendants of Abraham. He is not telling them they must stop sinning and keep the law to be saved.

You cannot be saved unless you first acknowledge you are lost, and this is what biblical repentance means. We see this again in Luke 13;

Luk 13:1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
    2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
    3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
    4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
    5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

These persons mistakenly believed because misfortune had happened to certain persons was proof that they were terrible sinners being punished by God.

Jesus corrects them and asks them if they believe these persons were worse sinners than others, and tells them they must turn or repent of this false belief. Unless they realize they too are lost sinners they will perish.

So, to repent means to turn from an attitude of self-righteousness and acknowledge you are lost. A person must realize they are lost before they will come to Jesus for salvation.

But to teach that you must quit sinning to be saved is nothing different than teaching a person must keep the law to be saved.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Maybe before you get all the hear say, you should go and meet him and spend time with him. Ask him questions. Then make a decision for yourself.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh no, he couldn't do that. Then he might discover that there is nothing to gossip about. What would ha have to post about then?

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    realiise that ALL of us are in a worse shape than that, as we ar all guilty by associated with Adam before Holy God before we even willfully commit acts of sin!

That is why NONE can be saved by keeping the law, for even if one could, and no one can other than jesus, still ahve sin guilt before God from being found in adam!

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

Baloney, Jesus was made of the seed of David according to the flesh.

Rom 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

Jesus took on himself the same NATURE as the seed of Abraham, NOT ADAM.

Heb 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

Do I need to tell you that Abraham was a sinner born after the so-called fall?

The scriptures teach that Jesus was made like unto his brethren the Jews in ALL THINGS.

Heb 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
    18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Maybe you ought to quit parroting your Reformed/Calvinist creeds and actually read your Bible. Jesus came in the flesh, took on our nature, and was made like us in all things.

If we are born with a sin nature inherited from Adam, then so was Jesus, because Jesus was made of the seed of David according to the flesh, and David was descended from Adam.

You do not have a clue.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is God in His nature ANF sinless Humanity, so he was NOT born with SAME nature as you and i were!

Jesus was born humna, but with NO sin nature as we all have!

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

You are flat out denying what scripture plainly says.

Heb 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

This verse says Jesus did not take on himself the nature of angels, but the nature of the seed of Abraham. And Abraham was born after the "fall".

Even John Gill, a Calvinist if there ever was one agrees with my interpretation;

The scriptures are clear that those who deny Jesus came in the flesh are not of God but the spirit of antichrist.

1 Jhn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
    2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

You see, I don't have a problem believing Jesus came in the flesh and had the same nature as the seed of Abraham, because I believe the scriptures say God has made man upright (Ecc 7:29).

Because you believe the false doctrine of Augustine you are forced to deny that Jesus truly came in the flesh and was tempted in all points as we are, and took on himself the nature of the seed of Abraham, and was made like unto his brethren the Jews in "all things".

One error leads to another.

13. PeterM

PeterM Member

The virgin birth (not being conceived in sin) is the means by which Jesus was not born with a sin nature. If Christ has a sin nature, then He could not be the promised messiah. He would be blemished. Christ, was born free from sin. Yes, He was tempted, but without sin. He is the second Adam, first born of the dead.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

Nonsense, pure superstition. Jesus was made of the seed of David according to the flesh.

Rom 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

You receive one half of your DNA from your mother, and your mother received half of her DNA from both her mother and father. You received one fourth of your DNA from your maternal grandfather. This is scientific FACT.

Jesus received his flesh from his mother Mary, who was descended from Adam, so if the sin nature is passed through the flesh, then Jesus would have been born with a sin nature.

Even the angel that spoke to Mary called David Jesus's father.

Luk 1:30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
    31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
    32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

Sin is not something you can inherit, like the color of your hair or eyes, sin is something you do.

This teaching that Jesus was born of a virgin to escape a sin nature is pure superstition, the scriptures clearly teach that Jesus was born of a virgin as a sign.

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

#94 Winman, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  15. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Oh boy. More of the 'theology' of winman.

Jesus born free from sin, the One for whom it was impossible to sin, and winman calls it nonsense.

The lamb of God, spotless, One who could not sin, in all His Being perfect is reduced in winmans theology. All this from the one who says it was possible that Jesus could lie.

No Baptist believes the nonsense he utters on BB.

#95 preacher4truth, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  16. preacher4truth

Amen!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

Nonsense, pure superstition. Jesus was made of the seed of David according to the flesh.

You receive one half of your DNA from your mother, and your mother received half of her DNA from both her mother and father. You received one fourth of you DNA from your maternal grandfather. This is scientific FACT.

Jesus received his flesh from his mother Mary, so if the sin nature is passed through the flesh, then Jesus would have been born with a sin nature.

Even the angel that spoke to Mary called David Jesus's father.

Luk 1:30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
    31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
    32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

Sin is not something you can inherit, like the color of your hair of eyes, sin is something you do.

This teaching that Jesus was born of a virgin to escape a sin nature is pure superstition, the scriptures clearly teach that Jesus was born of a virgin as a sign.

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

18. PeterM

PeterM Member

I have never... in all my life encountered a baptist who embraces Christadelphian theology. That said, The problem with your position is that the Scripture clearly articulate that any sacrifice made to God must be without blemish (Deuteronomy 17.1).

If Jesus was born with a sin nature, He would have been blemished. Contrary to what you are espousing (again Christadelphian heresy) the Bible teaches us that Jesus has/had no defect, no blemish (Hebrews 9.14). This verse states that Jesus is without blemish. How can He be without blemish if He has a fallen and sinful nature?

The only way I see anyone being able to assume that Christ was born with a sin nature, would be to deny the Trinity and the virgin birth.

Your conjecture that sin is limited to being just an action is also erroneous. I am not a sinner because I sin, I sin because I am a sinner. But because of the grace of God, I am no longer declared a sinner, I am the righteousness of God though I am still afflicted with a nature to act contrary to my new nature.

19. preacher4truth

I've never seen a Baptist that believes the nonsense winman utters as well.

Blessed are the eyes that see.

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The evolution of this thread is amazing.