1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Another [debate between Dr. Flowers and Dr. White]

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Iconoclast, Nov 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree strongly. Debate is good. Debate is necessary. Debate exposes the weaknesses of error and strengthens the truth. The key is not to turn a debate into an opportunity to trash the other person, as though that is the point of the debate. The theological differences between James White and Leighton Flowers deal with important issues. Their debate should drive us to scripture so that we can be convinced in our own minds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I accept that and I can understand that.
    My reason for posting the way I did was not to discourage the discussion...but to discourage this line of discussion, that seems to want to degenerate into attacking one another...instead of being civil in our treatment of one another.
    There, my friend is where we ( potentially ) disagree.
    I see debate ( the act of taking a position, explaining that position and discussing it with others ) as healthy.

What I do not see as healthy is what has become the norm in secular "debate" ( like the political scene in many nations now )...taking a position and trashing someone else over it.
    I do not see you or most others here doing that...but every once in awhile I see what has transpired in several of the posts on page 1, and, frankly, it saddens me.:(
    "Debate", at least the secular world's vicious version of it, can get quite heated and I believe has no place in a discussion among professing believers.
    I agree, my friend.
    It should never come to that.
    Again, I agree.

So, if this thread is about doing that, can all parties do so with civility...?
    If not, perhaps the thread should be locked.

As I see it, it's already starting to come to the point where people are insulting each other, and I know from experience that if both sides don't do something to put on the brakes, then the moderators must step in...if anything, to keep that "flesh"( that no good thing dwells in ) from having its way.

Since I have nothing more to say, I will quietly bow out and this will be my last reply in this thread.

Please take my comments in the spirit of what I have intended, which is to discourage the maltreatment and insulting of one another... not to discourage civil discussion.

May God bless you all.

#22 Dave G, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  3. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am unable to see all participants posts in this thread, although I am pretty sure there is a personal history between certain individuals. I do not think the thread should be closed, so long as the participants can focus on theological issues. This is not always a kinder-gentler place. Even an issues-focused debate creates sparks. As far as I am concerned, any thread that is nothing more than insults and personal attacks is not worth my time. I do not need the thread to be closed. I tune it out on my own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In general, I don't think what's being said draws the heat near as much as how it's said.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dave Gilbert,

The link in the OP. is exactly about that. One podcast constantly attacks Calvinism in an unbiblical fashion. That is the 24-7 design of that podcast. The answers given are simply going to look at what scripture says..
    I do not understand how you can say that.One person is trying to speak directly against [my view]. The other person [shares my view]. You cannot divorce what is being said from the two speakers.

I am not certain what you mean.

That is the intent of the link.

#25 Iconoclast, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2019
  6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is one of the helpful posts:...maybe you could not see it?

7. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may disagree with us on the King James Bible, but you don't have to call us "nuts". But go ahead if you want to.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How true, How true.

9. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, no. I could not see it but it underscores a personal policy I have implemented for myself, however imperfectly. I say "imperfectly" because my sanctification in this area is still a work in progress. The policy? To avoid unprofitable personal interactions on the Baptist Board. I will not entertain them and will disengage from any dialog that becomes unprofitable. In the event interactions with a certain individual repeatedly become unprofitable, I simply use the administrative option this board provides to tune those interactions out. I do not use this option to avoid the friction hard-hitting debate generates. I am referring to interactions that become personal or nasty. If I were to give you any advice it would be to adopt a similar policy. Just stop interacting with certain Baptist Board members if there is never any redeeming dialog. Speaking only for myself, it improves my experience on the board and lowers my blood pressure at the same time!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a problem with people who use KJV. HOWEVER, I do have a problem with people who say it is the only legitimate English translation. And yes, the arguments those people make usually sound nutty.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a thread that is supposedly about a debate between Dr. Flowers and Dr. White, this is an abject failure, and ought to be closed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To clarify for the few who may remain confused about my comments:

Calvinism is not the gospel. Free-will theology is not the gospel. We all believe our theologies correct (which is why we hold them). But the gospel is not dependent on our understanding of it.

Dr. Flowers should be able to express his views even if they contradict Calvinism. Members on this forum should be able to express their views even if they contradict Calvinism. Calvinists should be able to express their views even if they contradict free-will theology.

What should not be done is state the other person rejects truth. What they reject is a position - NOT Scripture but an interpretation, a philosophy, or a theological approach to Scripture.

What should not be done is slander other people who are not here to defend their words, ideas, or motivations.

We cannot drag people who are not here into the BB and we cannot employ ad hominem.

The topic of the discussion is fine. The problem is the topic (what was discussed in the link) has not been discussed here.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread has served no purpose other than a sad attempt to gossip about a Christian teacher who is not present on the BB.

The content of the link has not been discussed. The strength or weaknesses of arguments has not been discussed.

This still-born thread is closed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.