1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Thought on Communion

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    David the king longed for a drink of water from the well in Bethlehem, even though the city was under enemy garrison (II Sam 23). Some of his men snuck in and brought him some water.

What did David do? Poured it out on the ground. Not that the WATER was special; the sacrifice/work BEHIND the water gave it value.

So today at communion, I felt an urge to poor out my little cup of grape juice on the ground. The juice had no value, of course, but the sacrifice/work BEHIND it gave it value.

And I was not worthy to partake of a sip when comparing the sacrifice.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of us are worthy, Dr. Bob. We can only partake worthily — with the knowledge of what communion symbolizes. Like salvation, it is a gift.

3. Mission Man

Mission Man New Member

I aggree. None of us here on earth or on any planet are worthy of taking part in a sacrafice even though Jesus was the ultament sacrafice. He gave his life for us and that is why we serve Him.

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

What? Dr. Bob! I am shocked! The doctrine of Transubstantiation clearly teaches us that the elements at that Lord's Supper really are the body and blood of Jesus. If you spilled the cup now we will have to all stay locked inside the church until the Bishop comes and sanctifies the ground before we can leave. We can't have a mouse coming along and licking up a bit of Jesus now can we? Oh wait... we are not Catholics are we? Never mind.

[ December 10, 2003, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone I KNEW would say that!

Santa Bob
    Hódie Chrístus nátus est

6. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Sorry, but there is no justification for throwing communion bread and pouring the fruit of the vine on the ground. I understand the sentiment but can you imagine your wife or Mother preparing a delicious Christmas meal and after the blessing, go throw the meal in the trash? I think it would be a rough family get together that Christmas. [​IMG]

Christ has given this meal to us to remember his death and to have communion with Him by faith as we receive the elements. The Bible view is that the Bread and Juice are simply bread and juice and are unchanged during the Supper but as Paul states in 1 Cor. 10, we do spiritually have fellowship with Christ body and blood when we eat these elements by faith in Him.

For one not to partake means missing out on communing with Christ at His Table.