Any fellow lovers of freedom dispensers and boomsticks in here?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know 'bout no one else, but all the Churches I go to always have some sort of yearly, semi-annually, or quarterly shooting event. Now, with this bein' a Baptist forum, there must be a couple fellow gun guys in here? Some guys collect coins. I happen to collect Old Hymnals, Truck Parts, and Guns!

Anyone have a favorite out of your collection? What is your favorite size for a boomstick? What is your oldest?

My favorites are:
    --Czechoslovakian VZ58 (yes, I know the country doesn't exist anymore)
    --Yugoslavian (Serbian now) NPAP

--My favorite boomstick and freedom dispenser size is 7.62x39. I can punch through a concrete highway barrier and cut down trees using it, so it works for me! And heck, you ain't gotta clean 'em near as much as those 5.56 boys.

Oldest:
    1942 Mosin Nagant from USSR

2. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like to collect license plates - have many that were on my cars - since I have lived in many States.
    I even have a set from when my POV was registered in USAEUR.

But now, it is almost impossible to keep old license plates.

3. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oldest? Model 96 Swedish Mauser stamped 1900.

4. Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Swedish Mausers are the best of the type.

My biased opinion only. :)

5. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even the ones with receivers stamped Oberndorf? :D

I also like the history, I think they were the only nation that bought the cavalry carbine first, and the long infantry rifle second.

6. Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course. :)

One long gun that I have thought about buying is an M1867 Rolling Block. Probably will never get one, though. I like to shoot what I own, and 12.7x44R cartridges are non-existent. Dies and brass are rare, and to my knowledge, nobody produces them.

An interesting site to look at is Simpson, Ltd. http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=350_351_353&sort=2a&page=10 (link is to the first page of the Swedish guns.)

7. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, those Rolling Block's were pretty ubiquitous at one point. I always like to see the American entries into the European arms, pre-WWII.

I've always been a big green fan, but would love to get a Russian contract Winchester 1895 musket. Nothing more American than a lever

8. Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me, it is the Spencer. My Grandfather's Grandfather carried one in the Civil War.

9. Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was walking around DC with the family the other week, marveling that Spencer and Lincoln went out on the Mall and test fired one of those rifles.

11. Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Definitely not advisable now. :Wink

12. Joined:
    Jan 8, 2005
    Yes. Firearms are rather a passion with me. Aside from a selection of 'modern' guns for specific purposes - or preferences - I collect infantry rifles from the First World War and 7.65mm pistols from roughly the same era.

By the way, I have a 6.5 Dutch carbine. No one makes ammunition for it, but I can form cases from British .303 brass with nothing more than a case trimmer and appropriate dies. Not sure about the 12.7x44R rounds, but I haven't looked much - I don't 'do' black powder.

Arms are fascinating history and as discussable - arguable - as current and older translations of the Bible. Usually more peaceful.