1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Any here Believe In Biblical annihilation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just from your post let's try to determine, duration.

(You wrote) Jesus said those who die unsaved go to Hades immediately and are in torment.
    (You also wrote) Now when those whose spirits are in Hades are resurrected to the white throne judgement, they are then tossed, body and soul, into the lake of fire.

Let me ask, do those spirits in Hades and or the bosom of the Abraham have,
    eyes, fingers, tongues? Jesus did not say he was immediately was in torment. Jesus said in Hades he lift up his eyes (KJV)
    having-lifted-upon to-the-ones to-eyes of-it, (Westott & Hort)
    ON-LIFTing THE VIEWers OF-him (Scripture4all interlinear Greek)

This man was being resurrected as was the beggar, Lazarus.

The rich man body and soul was on the verge of being cast into the lake of fire.
    He said of Lazarus, send him to my fathers house. What was the manner in which he would have to go? Verse 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead BY resurrection.

Maybe less time than one would think being in torment.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    agree with you as in regards to salvation itself, as they need to be enabled to even come to christ by God, but referring more to the lord granting them what they really want to do, to stay seperated away from His presense!

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wondering if this question pertains to this discussion...if Heaven cannot hold our sinful flesh, how can hell (prepared for the devil and his crew) hold that part of man made in His image?

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are the one who speaks of sadism...I just quoted the language you posted. Mis using 2pet 3:9 does not get you off the hook.

I mean reveals as Jesus taught it more than anyone.

God does not take pleasure in the death of the wicked...by they will be cast into hell. the fact that God has ordained a place of conscious eternal torment does not change the discussion...so there is no reason to leave the biblical view anywhere! We should believe all revealed truth. We see that the saints in heaven praise the Lord for His righteous judgement.....I see no one accusing God of sadism,or being a monster ...like some do in here.

Revelation 19

1And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God:
    2For true and righteous are his judgments: for he hath judged the great whore, which did corrupt the earth with her fornication, and hath avenged the blood of his servants at her hand.

3And again they said, Alleluia And her smoke rose up for ever and ever.

i would suggest if you can not align your theology with the theology of the saints in heaven....you need to re-evaluate your position:thumbsup:

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

And I add a solemn 'Amen' to that.

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Sadism is by definition taking pleasure in the pain of others. If indeed a doctrine teaches that God pleasures in the torment of others then they would support the idea that God is a sadist. Those are just facts. My doctrine teaches that God does not take pleasure in the perishing of wicked, and I believe that is likewise affirmed by many Calvinists. I'm not sure why you want to take issue with this.

Are you suggesting God doesn't desire for all to come to repentance? Or that God does desire for some to perish?

Right, so why are you taking issue with what I've said?

7. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:applause::thumbsup:

8. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

You beat me to it.:smilewinkgrin:

John Stott did indeed hold to some degree of annihialism. And he is no heritic.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Very good. An excellant synopsis of the minority view.

11. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I know that which is why I wondered why you were taking issue with my point. We SHOULDN'T be in disagreement on the point I made but yet you chose to take issue with my words...

Enough, I'm getting off this merry-go-round...we get no where and are left feeling dizzy. :wavey:

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Percho

You ask, do the spirits in torment have physical bodies to sense torment? No. But they are in torment according to Jesus. Illustrations demonstrate truth. No need to thrown out the truth because the illustration had limits.

Next, you seem to be asserting that he had been resurrected. But he is still in Hades, not Gehenna. And Jesus is speaking of His future resurrection unto life, not the resurrection to the Great White Throne Judgment.

Has no one actually studied the passages that describe the duration of the torment???

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van,

The rich man in Hades life up his eyes (implies being resurrected) Judgement comes and he is not found written and is being cast into the lake of fire. He can feel the heat and is in torments from the heat, talks to Father Abraham about sending the the one resurrected to life at the time he had been resurrect to damnation, that is Lazarus to his father's house.

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you hold that God is active in judging sinners, that He personally gets involved in their punishment for all eternity as payment for their sins?

OR

that he has ordained that there will be punishment/judgement against all sins, but that He has determined that, but in a passive way?

I do not see jesus going to hell and stoking up the fires, as He will be active in their judgement, but releases them unto the lake of Fire....

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pitchback

To look up or to look across a chasm does not imply resurrection. Hades is described as a place of torment, and the guy was in torment in Hades. No need to rewrite it.

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell,

Would you care to describe just what torment He may have been in?

Acts 9:40 But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning [him] to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up.

Would you say that when, they laid [her] in an upper chamber, she was in Sheol/Hades? Why was she able to open her eyes from Sheol/Hades?

17. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Again, "aionios"/"aion" does not mean without end or forever. It is a gross error and mistranslation to maintain that it does.

Jesus referred to divine judgment as "aionios kolasis", meaning age-long chastisement; this implies a limited, corrective punishment.

Pagan writers wrote about eternal punishment -- "aidios timoria".

These are different words with different meanings.

18. mandym

mandym New Member

The implication is imagined. Hell was created for Satan originally, and there is no indication that either will be corrected and released. To believe so fails to see the gravity of sin. Hell is eternal because sin is just that grievous.

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Not imagined when the word so clearly does not mean eternal but a long, indefinite period of time. It's dishonest to translate aion as eternal. If eternal was intended, a different Greek word would have been used. The early church did not teach eternal hell; that concept was brought in from Roman paganism, Zoroastrianism, and elsewhere. It's sad that Christians buy into a picture of a god who would eternally, unconditionally torture his creatures.

That said, I don't deny the possibility that hell could last forever because I believe in the freedom of the will and thus the possibility that one could go on rejecting God and repentance indefinitely. And the meaning of the word "aion" or "eon" perfectly reflects that -- a long, indefinite period of time.

20. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt 25:46. 'And these will go into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.'

The NKJV translation notwithstanding, the Greek words for 'eternal' and 'everlasting' are the same- Aionios. Therefore if hell is not forever, then neither is heaven.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.