1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ANY here receive a new Bible This Christmas?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JesusFan, Jan 3, 2012.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

How do you view either NASB/NKJV as study versions to use?

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Both are fine. I have used both.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been able to follow the text of the KJV and NASB being preached with my "old"TNIV,NLTse,REB,Norlie etc.It is not a problem. If a preacher was using the NIV I would like to follow along in the HCSB or some other translation. It makes me pay close attention.

Accuracy and readability rarely go hand-in-hand with a more formal translation.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I know a little bit about the various Bible translations... And I have not seen that one can follow the KJV with the versions you list above. In many cases they read so dissimilar that it is not even close, though of course both are saying the same thing, albeit with different vocabulary and sentence structure.

5. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Wouldn't fully agree with that, as both the Nasb 1995 and the NKJV are both essentially formal translations, and are both quite easy to read and understand!

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did it for multiplied years with no problem. Others here have done the same. Perhaps you haven't tried.

And remember,I have done the same thing when the preacher's translation was the NASB.

You have answered your own concern. Though the wording and sentence stucture can be quite different --they are saying just about the same thing.

I think it is a good practice for a number of folks to try and follow along in a translation that differs from that of the preacher. It's a good thing.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well,you are entitled to your opinion which differs substantially with my own experience regarding those two versions.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I do not always advocate the congregation reading a different text than the preacher, but I also do not mind if they do. I am not snobish about any particular translation as long as it is actually read and followed.

By now, you SHOULD know that I advocate a goodly number of various Bible translations for various reasons. Some are great to just read. Some are great for word study. Some work well for preaching to a mixed congregation where all levels of people are in attendance. Some are formal in language so that they add gravity to solemn occaisions like weddings and funerals. Some are just plain comfortable because they are the text of our youth.

Reading one then another adds depth of perception to what GOD is actually telling us via the revealed and written word. I make it my practice to read through another translation on a yearly or bi-yearly basis. So far, I have read through 15 translations. Some much more difficult than others, ASV for instance, others way too easy so that the true "meat" of the Word did not always come through (but I would never have known that if I had not read other versions!).

You seem to feel that I could never use the NIV or NIV 2011, but they have been mainstay translations in my ministry efforts. My criticism of them is what it is, but that does not mean that they are not worth reading or using in ministry settings. Both mega-churches that we have recently been a part of used the NIV exclusively. That equates to around 7000+ people between the two congregations that use the NIV every Sunday at church no matter which version they might read at home in private study.

Both congregations baptize over 150 persons per year based on preaching from the NIV.

In any case, my thoughts on the matter remain the same.

THE BEST BIBLE IS THE ONE YOU ACTUALLY READ.

9. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Think a lot of this depends on IF was raised to read the KJV, if yes, than both of them read pretty easy!

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

And the best version is the One that you BOTH understand and apply!

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Wow. You sound exactly like jesusfan than!

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

:laugh::laugh:

13. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

or jesusfan could sound like me, Eh?

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So...why did you take on the alter ego? Lose your password or something? :confused:

15. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

hard drive in my lap top crashed and burned, taking all passwords down with it, had this other one set up just in case, so going with it!

16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

think jesusfan and him the same than though?! :laugh:

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you speak English much? :laugh:

18. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Nope, just speak in "Bible", with a little bit of ole calvin pork on the side!

19. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

why not "Andrew?"

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Since you are not permitted two accounts and have chosen this one the jesusfan account has been banned.

Okay, back to the discussion :)