Anyone here observe Lent, etc?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very well said!

2. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Jewish people also had their long respected religious holidays, observances, festivals, and rituals and I bet Jesus participated in many of them while He was on this earth. Now we have some Christians saying that we cannot have the same sort of things except with Jesus as the focus just because each and every action is not spelled out specifically in the New Testament.

3. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The slaughter of believers was not done by just one side.

As you now do (even though you reject orthodox Christianity).

4. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thankfully they are not the ones deciding all things religious for all of Christianity. No one died and made them the experts on what is or what is not scriptural truth.

5. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, God warns us twice to not subtract from, or ADD TO His commands & precepts.

A close study of Scripture reveals we are free to worship on any day of the week. The "Lord's prayer" is the base outline for all prayers.

6. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes Protestants... and at the end of it are rewarded with cholocolate bunnies and marshmallow chicks.

7. Ran the Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Niether are protestants.

8. Ran the Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm really sick of this smug attitude you guys have for the Roman and eastern church. The very bible you have today was compiled by the 7 church fathers one of which was from rome. Why believe the bible then?
    Martin Luther was a drunk and a philanderer. Calvin was a sociopath. The Protestant Hugonauts murdered a lot of people.

9. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the first two points also the reason many also oppose the observance of Christmas?

10. Danthemailman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not observe Lent, but I take advantage of the 2 for 1 fish sandwich deals at Arby's during Lent. :)

11. Ran the Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dude, Arby's is my favorite.

12. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and Easter or any other holy day that does not have a warrant in scripture. This applies only to church observance of these days. There are many Reformed people who choose to observe these days privately, although separate of corporate worship on the Lord's day.

13. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you - that is interesting. I did not realize they did not recognize "Easter".

Do they worship as a congregation on Sunday only or have Wednesday services?

14. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are asking a question that I have to answer in the aggregate. Most Reformed churches that observe a strict interpretation of the RPW* (Regulative Principle of Worship) do not observe religious holidays at all. The operative word here is "observe". They recognize that these holidays exist, but they do not see any warrant in scripture to incorporate them into the Lord's day worship. These churches would also eschew special services to observe these days.

*The RPW teaches that we are to worship God only in the manner prescribed by scripture. This is different from the Normative Principle which teaches we may worship God in any manner not prohibited by scripture.

15. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Tell me again about your communion service where YOU violate the Scriptures by using grape juice and crackers as the elements.

Do you even say the Lords prayer as it is written? Jesus gives it to us verbatim and He meant for us to recite as it is. He gave it to us WORD FOR WORD, and there is nothing in the Scriptures that says it is just some sort of "template".

If you can get two clear biblical mandates wrong, your other scriptural interpretations should be questioned thoroughly.

16. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how exactly do you define Reformed?

Driving a car is not found in Scripture, do you drive a car? Wearing a tie to church is not found in Scripture, do you wear a tie to church? You really need to look at what it means to be reformed again.

We have already seen that R.C. Sproul's church observes Lent to some degree so obviously there is something wrong with your line of reasoning here.

17. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be 'Reformed' means to be constantly seeking to be reformed by Scripture in church and personal life.
    I recommend What is a Reformed Church by Malcolm Watts (Reformation Heritage Books, 2011). In leading his church (Emmanuel Church, Salisbury UK) Watts has gone rather too far IMO, but his book is good.
    :Rolleyes
    Sproul's church much answer for itself. I answer to Galatians 4:9-11; Colossians 2:16-23.

18. Ran the Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sancta Maria! Are you guys nuts? Don't be a Jehovah's Witness. Christmas and Pashta (Easter) are the two most important events in the history of the world and you don't celebrate them?
    Trust me, you will regret all those Christmas one day. Babies need Christmas. How cold and sterilized of any life Calvinists are.

19. HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will you document that,

Please define "orthodox" Christianity and document my rejection of it.

20. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...as if the old RC gang was squeaky-clean!

And let's not forget their current "Boyzz R Us" scandal !