1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anything good from alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

Brother Bob,

Many would say that John the Baptist is not a good excuse for the case of abstinence, as he was a Nazarite from birth.

It is interesting that when going over the Nazarite vows, one can see that John may not have been a Nazarite as supposed.

The Nazarite vows were more than abstaining from wine and strong drink, they also could not cut their hair (we find no command that John was forbidden to cut his hair), they were forbidden to eat any thing at all from the vine (John was not given such command, although we know his diet was locust's and wild honey), they were forbidden to be near a dead body (I can not find that command given for John).

Zaccharias was not given instructions as to John following the Nazarite vows completely, so I do not believe verse 15 is referring to a Nazarite vow.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Actually, you have no idea what instructions Zaccharias was given. All you know is what is in the Bible. That does not mean those are the total instructions given, unless of course you have a time machine and were there.

3. Diggin in da Word

The instructions given to Zaccharias were written there in that first chapter of Luke.

IF it were a Nazarite vow, surely the Lord would have told him that John would be a Nazarite as he told Manoah's wife in Judges 13. 'He shall be a Nazarite'

The truth is, that is the only instance of God telling a mother that her son was to be a Nazarite.

One could take the Nazarite vow described in Numbers 6 on ones, own, but there is only one instance of one being a Nazarite from birth.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Brother Bob - Please do not call me ignorant for I am not. I totally agree that wine can be made by hand - and why I was saying that's probably how the Amish do it!! LOL - you know, they're not into modern conveniences and such!! Of course, they DO get around that by using propane and such so they could most certainly have a press but they're known for doing things the 'simple' way. I was just making a joke. Loosen up, brother!

Ann

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hi Brother Bob... only a handful of good experiences until it got taken over by the same old tired arguments as in every other thread. I'm sorry if you fail to see one so called "experience".
    Regardless of anyone...eh? What about the Lord of Hosts?
    Isa 25:6 And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined.

6. Diggin in da Word

There you go trying to make the non-fermented wine fermented. Get out of the 21st century mindset when reading the Word of God.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yayin means wine. In the OT it meant wine, and in the 21st century it means wine. The fact that it can burst wineskins, make someone drunk, clean wounds and kill germs mean that it's alcohol.

Ann

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Many times that is exactly what wine lead too. Shoot even the commercials tell us that.:)

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Sorry Webdog; I don't even see the hand full but it did get taken over which I knew it would.

I am out of this argument.

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you know the function of wine on lees? It is for a second round of fermentation after the first round with yeast.

Wikipedia : lees

#90 Gold Dragon, Sep 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2006
  11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    and from a closed thread:
    Fermentation does not make something completely different.

Translators regularly encounter single words that mean two different things in other languages.
    Please consider the very different meanings of "know" in the Bible.
    Or the meanings of the English word "cleave." A word like this is called a contronym.

Also, from the Jewish Theological Seminary website:
    Biblical Hebrew contains a small number of words that bear antithetical meanings. These words are more than homonyms with dissimilar meanings like bear (to carry) and bear (the animal.) Their meanings are diametrically opposed to each other. Moreover, in English, homonyms usually derive fortuitously from different origins, whereas in biblical Hebrew the polarity of meanings seems to inhere by design in one and the same word.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet when you look up the definitions of the original word, there are multiple words listed - yet yayin means just one thing that I've found - wine. Yayin=wine I've not seen anywhere that says yayin=wine, juice, liquid from a grape.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just looked up in the 1828 edition of Webster's Dictionary the definition of wine:

1. The fermented juice of grapes; as the wine of the Madeira grape; the wine of Burgundy or Oporto.

2. The juice of certain fruits, prepared with sugar, spirits, &c.; as currant wine; gooseberry wine.

3. Intoxication.

Noah awoke from his wine. Genesis 9.

4. Drinking.

They that tarry long at the wine. Proverbs 23.

Corn and wine, in Scripture, are put for all kinds of necessaries for subsistence. Psalm.

Bread and wine, in the Lords supper, are symbols of the body and blood of Christ.

14. Diggin in da Word

John Kersey’s Dictionarium Anglo-Britannicum, or A General English Dictionary, published in London in 1708, says: "Wine, a liquor made of the juice of grapes or other fruits. Liquor or Liquour, anything that is liquid; Drink, Juice, etc. Must, sweet wine, newly pressed from the grape."

Benjamin Marin’s Lingua Britannica Reformata or A New English Dictionary, published in 1748, defines "wine" as follows: "1. the juice of the grape. 2. a liquor extracted from other fruits besides the grape.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes - wine is a liquid made from the juice of grapes. To get to the 'newly pressed from the grape", that is the 6th definition - certainly NOT the standard definition for the day. Besides, I do not have access to the full definition so I will not be taking that as 'gospel'. I understand where you got that definition and it is obviously edited from the dictionary. I wonder why? What did they remove?

16. Diggin in da Word

Seems to me the definition changed somewhat from one century to another.

17. Diggin in da Word

So, do you have an agenda? You just post the definitions that say it is alcohol. And don't have access to the other definitions? Amazing.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But we don't have the full definition so it can not be conclusive.

19. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

Absolutely.

Most "pagans" know intuitively that the prohibitionist position is laughable and laugh at such persons as rediculous.

And most pagans associate such silliness with Christianity though they know intuitively that is problematic

So yes, having a few beers with some "pagans" has proven very productive at times. It busts up all their stereotypes of Christians of the sorts with beams in their eyes - Christians of the sort who will rant and rant and rant against having a few beers or some wine, which is Biblically permissiable, which is something most pagans know well in their God-given conscience.

"Wow, I thought all Christians were like those small-worlded, mean-as-the-devil, Baptists I grew up around."

"No, not at all, but I sure know what you mean!" :laugh:

So go ahead. Feel free to call me a friend of sinners and a drunkard. I will consider it a true honor.

--------------------------------------------------------

#99 ACADEMIC, Sep 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2006
  20. Diggin in da Word

We have the full definition in God's Holy Word. He plainly shows wine is both fermented and unfermented. The dictionaries both affirm this, historians affirm this and yet you and others want to deny it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.