1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Apostolic Uniqueness ....Guided into All Truth

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, May 15, 2019.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sure, as soon as you show any scripture that says what John 16:13 says, applied to all believers, where is the text that gives us the same promise?

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I drive all day, the posts mount up. I listed what was posted, mostly off topic, I respond to what is posted.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look, @Iconoclast , you took my quote out of context. But there may be discussion to be had.

I believe that the Holy Spirit is active in the life of the believer and that we cannot know any spiritual truth except by the Spirit's guidance (that all spiritual truth we enter in is of God).

Are you saying that this is false?

And if so, what is the scheme you propose?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think (hope) this is what led you to take my comment (the quote in the OP) out of context. That is understandable (we've all done something similar, I'm sure).

If not, then please let's have a discussion of your view.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Can you quote where I denied the necessity of the ministry of the Spirit, contrary to what I posted?
    I would be interested in seeing that quote.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you reading my responses? I will post it here for the third time;

JonC, 1 cor .chapter 2.
    Any truth that comes our way is by the Spirit opening us to understand the word of God.

in post 15; I repeated it again;
    1 cor .chapter 2.
    Any truth that comes our way is by the Spirit opening us to understand the word of God

JonC...did you not see this post?
    If you did see it why do you post what you do?

This falsehood has been addressed several times including the first 3 posts in the OP>

in post1]

Does the Spirit allow believers to welcome the truth of scripture? yes
    Does the Spirit help us remember things, yes

However that is not what was being taught in Jn14, 15, 16.

from post3]

This again is spoken directly to the Apostles, not everyone.
    We can learn things based on what they wrote, but not one of us, is "guided into all truth".

Every false teacher pulls verse 13 out of the gospel of jn and adds 1jn 2:27 to explain why they are guided into all truth...NOT

in post 5;
    Certainly when we are quickened and indwelt by the Spirit we are able to welcome the scriptures as God's truth 1 cor .chapter 2.
    Any truth that comes our way is by the Spirit opening us to understand the word of God.

in post 15; I repeated it again;
    1 cor .chapter 2.
    Any truth that comes our way is by the Spirit opening us to understand the word of God

JonC...did you not see this post?
    If you did see it why do you post what you do?

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the OP, @Iconoclast

This is the quote to which you objected:

"Don't discount the Holy Spirit... The Father and Son sent the Spirit as a "Helper"...to guide us.

The Holy Spirit guides us to all spiritual truth. We cannot claim to have arrived at spiritual truth in any other way. Even Peter's confession of Christ was of the Spirit."

Your objection is heresy. I think it is a mistake on your part (that you took it to be some sort of progressive revelation based on one sentence). If not, then it is heresy. We not arrive at spiritual truth via any means other than God. No effort of man (even Gill, Knox, or Calvin).

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well...it was your posts directed toward me. They do look quite foolish when lined up one after another:Sick:Sick:Sick

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to keep restating the quote of the OP until you man up or the thread is closed. :Biggrin

I've admitted I've been playing games by taking advantage of your error. Are you going to keep trying to wiggle out of admitting the mistake or are we going to continue until we hit enough posts that the thread is closed?

In other words....is honor just a Southern thing?

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is not what this OP. is about; Here it is;

Iconoclast said:
    The Holy Spirit guided the Apostles into All Truth, not us.
    We are given the Spirit to be able to welcome truth, but we do not have the same promise the Apostles had.

#70 Iconoclast, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    post 41...is your quotes, not mine

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the quote you found in error:
    This was all I have to say and all I've said - ALL spiritual truth we hold is given by the Spirit of God.

Take it or leave it. Own up to your mistake or don't. I don't care.

I stand by the statement. We do not possess any spiritual truth except it be given us through the Spirit.

You can trust John Gill, John Knox, John Calvin, or John Lennon for all I care. But if it is spiritual truth you posses it comes from God. PERIOD.

13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and I know that the "truth" did not suddenly leap into the minds of the Apostles, or any first century believer, but the guide was the Holy Spirit. And the work of the Holy Spirit was certainly started with the Apostles then an apostle, but was not limited to that select few, but spread to all assemblies, even to bringing the reformation, and on through this day as we work through Scriptures. He who knows all truth, guides the willing believers of this day into the truth of the Scriptures.

And although as Paul admitted we "see in a mirror dimly," there is coming that time in which we will "know fully as we are currently known" by the Holy Spirit.

I may be unable to find a single verse to refute your thinking, but by cutting off "all truth" as given only to Apostles, is certainly a violation of both the work of the Holy Spirit that indwells believers to this day, and the principle of why the Apostles were not given "all truth" at a single pouring out but were guided as circumstances developed. The same is found in every true believer seeking the truth. "You shall know the truth..." rings as the truth in every believer's life. For without such truth, we don't know the way, or the life nor the Father.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is not the topic of the OP.. The topic was the unique way the Apostles were to be guided into all truth. You mentioned the Apostles are no more saved that we are, remember? so you knew what i meant.

Now I clearly said all believers have the Spirit to welcome truth even though you denied it several times, that I already had posted that.

So now your explanation is you paraphrased the only verse in scripture that says guided into all truth??? what verse do you base your paraphrase on.?.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This does not begin to address the OP.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look, @Iconoclast , if you truly do not believe that the believer is dependent on the guidance of the Holy Spirit to arrive at spiritual truth then let's go from there.

If you do believe we are dependent on the Holy Spirit, then take responsibility for your mistake in taking one sentence out of context.

Either way - I'm calling on you to be a man of integrity. Either admit the mistake OR show how, except for God, you think we arrive at Spiritual truth.

It is really that simple. Speak plainly. Be a man of character.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The precious Geneva Bible at I John 2:27, (the Anointing teacheth you of all things, and it is true) notes that the Anointing is "The Spirit which you have received of Christ, and which hath led you into all truth"

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agedman
    I have never said that believers are not able to welcome truth by the Ministry of the Spirit. Not once have I denied the ministry of the Spirit as 1 cor 2 is clear.

What I have posted is the promises were unique to the Apostles when after Jn 13 concluded Jesus public ministry. the promises of John 14, 15, 16 were to those who heard him with whom he promised the Spirit would
    1] guide them into all truth, that is how we have a completed canon.

2] bring to their remembrance things they saw and heard having been with him from the beginning

3] show them...things to come

4] they could not bear all He had been teaching them, but He promised the Spirit would help them in particular.

We were not there, we did not audibly hear Jesus...they did.

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

And in Mark Dever's Baptist Foundations it is noted that in the preface to the Savoy Declaration John Owen also taught that the Spirit "gently leads into all truth and persuades men".

#79 Jerome, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    well...the Spirit does not lead into error.
    Glad to see of your interest in the Puritans and reformers:Sick