1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are anti-preterists all Dispensationalists?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would help if you gave your references. Are you referring to Luke 21:20? If so, I believe that refers to AD 70. But the word "soon" occurs nowhere in that passage. So I don't think you've made your point at all here, whatever it was.

You've changed the subject. So you won't answer my point that preterists have just a big of a problem with the time statements as futurists?

But anyway, I have no problem with making the future tribulation the 70th week of Daniel and don't think this to be an illogical position. It's based squarely on a grammatical-historical hermeneutic. Much that God does is illogical to us anyway.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to be clear, I agree with you here, and actually have a lecture against this view in my class on "Dipensational Theology." It is not an important issue in revised dispensationalism, but peripheral.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take care of yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You lost me. Are you saying that you accept a system of 4 dispensations, but not the Scofield/Ryrie model of 7?

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure Roby will answer this, but yes, there is progressive dispensationalism with only 3 dispensations (depending on what you read. Ultra dispensationalism has more than 7, I believe. (I'd have to look that up.) Even covenant theology recognizes that there are dispensations.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am not a Preterist and I am not a dispensationalist but I do believe in the future salvation of Israel as an Ethnic Nation at the Post-trib coming of Christ. And no, I am not a Pretribber.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct. I see two dispensations in history so far, the Old Covenant & the New Covenant. Now, there WERE changes during the Old Covenant. For example, all Israel was at first required to worship at the Tabernacle, then, at the temple in Jerusalem, but by the time Jesus came, there were synagogues in almost every town where some Jews lived. And Jesus gave legitimacy to synagogues by attending some of them Himself.

And I believe the millenium will be another dispensation, & the world after the M is over will be the fourth, and permanent one.

As I see the Scofield/Ryrie model, while it mentions some changes, the basic overall dispensation remained the same, changing only when Jesus proclaimed the New Covenant.

And yes, I've seen many other views of the number of dispensations that supposedly have existed. But it doesn't really matter; as the song goes, "Love the one you're with!" and we are "with" the New Covenant, the "Age of Grace" in which Jesus saves all who come to Him in repentance, belief, and submission, having faith in Him though they've never seen nor heard Him. As Paul wrote, faith comes by hearing, and hearing, by the word of God.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last night one of the preachers in our conference (an old friend) who is a dispensationalist preached in part of his sermon against the 7 churches=7 ages view. His point was that those who say we are in the Laodicean Age, usually say that it is an age of apostasy, and revivals are impossible. He (and I) and many other dispensationalists object strongly to that view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The definitions of covenant and dispensation are so different that I fail to see how you arrived at this view.
    By any definition of the of the eternal state, it cannot be a dispensation.
    There are enough differences between Scofield and Ryrie that Scofield's view is called classic dispensationalism and Ryrie's is revised dispensationalism.
    But again, covenant and dispensation have completely different meanings.

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As do I.

A look at history shows that the "ages" are 'WAY off in their supposed time frames. For instance, during the "Philadelphian" age, there was the Crimean War, the American Civil War, in japan, the Boshin war with the Meiji restoration, the Taiping rebellion in China with great loss of life, the Reconstruction and rise of the Mormon, SDA, & JW cults in the USA, and the Azusa St. "revival".

Now, all 7 types of churches Jesus cites in Rev.1 have existed since the apostles were alive, & I believe that's why Jesus preserved His messages to those early churches to be read by us today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see your point. But I don't believe in a whole slough of dispensations despite being against both "types" of preterism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe God will make Judah (modern Israel) and the other tribes of Israel one nation again, as Scripture is very clear on this. And it won't be because they deserve it, but it'll be because God made all Israel His "peculiar" people & will restore their fortunes despite themselves.

However, each individual will still need to come to Jesus in belief, repentance, & submission, same as anyone else,

BTW, I believe the rapture will occur after the "beast" comes to power, but before the great trib hits full-force.

13. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Me too!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, there are no scriptures that prove a gap.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I lost track, but you're talking about the 70th week of Daniel, right? The gap is inherent in the fact that Daniel divides between the 69th and 70th week: "Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times" (9:25).

16. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm finally back after a bout with bronchitis and the flu, and I'm trying to catch up on some responses. In the Olivet Discourse, the "time references" are more along the line of "when you see these things happening". Anyway, I don't see where preterists have any problems with the time statements.

17. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies for the delayed response - I thought I was over this bronchitis, but not quite yet. Also, I apologize for going off on rabbit trails. I'm not sure how I wound up with the "gap" between Daniel's 69th and 70th weeks. Guess it's easy for a discussion regarding the "End Times" to go all over the place, and I am no exception.
    I am familiar with the why / how "futurists" believe there is a gap between weeks 69 & 70, but I don't believe it is inherent. The 70 weeks are "modeled" after the 70 years of captivity, right? There was no gap in the Judean captivity. Daniel's prophecy doesn't even hint at a gap of time. As I'm sure you agree, the time starts with the decree to restore Jerusalem in 458 B.C. (Ezra 9:9). It ends with the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ in 33 A.D., which is 490 years. The Crucifixion is in the middle of the 70th week.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to hear you're better.

At this point your perspective on the "time statements" is quite different from that of the typical preterist, so I'll have to know more of what you mean before answering you. Can you give me an example of a "you" passage?

I'm actually kind of bemused here. No one objects to the "you" statements (14 verses) of the Sermon on the Mount as not applying to anyone but the disciples (except maybe some hyper-dispensationalists), and there are only 6 you/ye verses in the Olivet Discourse.

As for preterists not having any problem with the time statements, they usually deny it--and often do not answer me when I point out the problem.

P.S. Okay, I just through the six you/ye statements of the Olivet Discourse, and have no clue what you mean. Matt. 24 has two generic statements that are no problem to my position. Matt. 25 has one statement that is in a parable, and three statements in the passage about the judgement of nations that are not aimed at the disciples.

19. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, Brother John. I appreciate that.

I was surprised that my perspective on the "time statements" is not a typical preterist view. In Matthew 23, Jesus pronounces 7 "woes" upon the Scribes and Pharisees - "woe to you". He tells them "your house is being left desolate" (v. 38). Continuing on into chapter 24, Jesus is leaving the temple. When His disciples pointed out the temple buildings, Jesus predicted their destruction. Explaining further, Jesus tells them "you will hear of wars and rumors of wars", "they will deliver you to tribulation", "when you see the Abomination of Desolation". After describing more details, He says "Behold, I have told you in advance". My main point is that every time "you" is used, it refers to the immediate audience.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never heard that one. In my view, the two 70s are not connected (except for being 70).
    No, the crucifixion is not in the middle of the 70th week. Don't know how you arrived at that, but it certainly was not the "abomination of desolations" that is definitely in the middle of the 70th week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.