1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Degree Mills Ethical?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rev. G, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

If you are a Baptist and only have those two choices go to Andersonville.

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I learned many years ago as the pastor of an inner-city church that God is a gentleman and that what He orders, He pays for. God is not broke, and neither is any Christian who is faithfully serving Him. We may suffer financial trials, even VERY severe financial trials, but these trials do not in any way hinder God from providing every financial need—even for a VERY expensive education if that is what God wants for you. Find out first if God wants for you to go to school. If He does, find out which school He wants you to go to, and trust Him to pay for it—and He will.

[​IMG]

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

If it's God's will, it's God's bill.

4. >>>>If it's God's will, it's God's bill.<<<<<<

"I also believe in Providence. But I believe in the Providence of the most men, the largest purse and the longest cannon"

--- A. Lincoln

5. cobbk2001

cobbk2001 New Member

God has, in fact, gifted me with some extra money to go to school, or I would not even be able to consider it. But he didn't give me enough to go Ivey Leauge either [​IMG]

So I am trying to find what others would consider the best (and cheapest) method to a quality degree in light of this current thread.

In other words, I guess I am asking, "To be "above reproach" is accreditation to be sought at all costs" even if the education is perhaps substandard or outside one's chosen denomination?"

6. cobbk2001

cobbk2001 New Member

For clarification, I ask this as I know some consider ANY un-accredited degree as coming from a 'mill', even though the legal definitions I have seen add "little or in-substantial coursework" to the definition.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why some recommend Trinity (Newburgh, IN) which has a track record of diligent course work and now candidate status for real accreditation.

But not "cheap".

8. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

And of course some others would recommend that you stay clear of Trinity (Newburgh, IN) for the reasons (substandard academics) mentioned in previous posts in this thread.

[​IMG]

9. Dale

Dale New Member

And of course some others would recommend that you stay clear of Trinity (Newburgh, IN) for the reasons (substandard academics) mentioned in previous posts in this thread.

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]My dad got a masters from Trinity (after Tennesee Temple) and then my brother got his bachelors from there as well.
    They both seemed to be happy with the academic level there.

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

What is the academic rigor at Tennesee Temple?

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

I took three TTS courses in the PhD in Biblical Studies before I understood accreditation.

IMO those PhD courses were "taught" at about MDiv level. In fact in those several courses those in the master's programs were using the same cassette tapes and textbooks those in the PhD were using! For example, for Systematic Theology I used Grudems which clearly was intended for survey courses not for doctoral work.

Except for one prof, it was my impression that A's were easily earned.

The main reason that I would not recommend TTS is that IMO for years TTS misrepresented its accreditation and its quality. I will give specifics if asked.

It now is my understanding that a doc in Biblical studies, not the PhD or ThD, is offered by TTS without any language reqs. I think that's too bad.

I do not mean to suggest that the TTS students or faculty are not sincere.

12. Broadus

Broadus Member

A few years ago, a pastor-friend, who had received his MDiv from NOBTS, started a PhD at TTS. After examining the first course, he sent it back and withdrew, saying the requirements for his MDiv courses were higher.

I do not know what TTS requires now and if there has been substantial improvement.

Bill

13. UZThD

UZThD New Member

14. Broadus

Broadus Member

15. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But many a good pastor invested his entire life in the ministry WITHOUT a good education. This is especially true in the more rural areas of the country. </font>[/QUOTE]

16. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, how much better could that pastor have been with some education?

17. Taxman

Taxman New Member

Luther Rice Seminary has a legitimate campus, daily classes with hundreds in class, is on candidate status with SACS and it looks very favorable. It's taken a lot of abuse, but the preachers coming out of it have a real education. That's even more than the "School of the Prophets" with President Elijah had going for it.

18. Nord

Nord New Member

LRS is a well respected alternative education institution. They also of course are accredited by TRACS (an agency recognized by Us DoE/CHEA). Did not know about SACs though. They were rumored on degreeinfo.com to be doing this some time ago but so not remember that it came about.

LRS has a virtual whose who of Southern Baptists as graduates.

Nord

19. Broadus

Broadus Member

A friend is doing his DMin at LRS and told me a couple of weeks ago that the seminary had brought a man on board (from Liberty, I think) who had led several institutions to achieve RA. I think the SACS pursuit is more substantial and realistic this time.

Bill