1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are miracles always instantaneous?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rlvaughn, May 23, 2021.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If everything is a miracle, then nothing is a miracle, and no need for a distinguishing biblical word for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God causes everything to happen, everything is supernatural, and a miracle. You need to distinguish between his seemingly habitual events (laws of nature), and those that do not depend on secondary causes. It's all supernatural.

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to distinguish between what the Bible calls miracles and what it does not. You are philosophizing to get terminology from your theology rather than considering the words of the Bible itself. The Bible calls things miracles to distinguish them from other things that are not called miracles. Does the Bible call seemingly habitual events (laws of nature) miracles? If so, where does it do so? I believe that God made and controls all things by his power and wisdom (e.g. the Lord hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, Nahum 1:3; he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust, Matthew 5:45; also Jeremiah 10:12, 51:15). It is no different (harder, easier) for God to make the sun come up on a regular schedule every day (Matthew 5:45), to make it go backward (Isaiah 38:8), or to make it stand still (Joshua 10:12-13). Yet the Bible distinguishes these kind of events in different ways so that everything is not considered a miracle, biblically speaking.

4. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said those events that evade secondary causes are also miracles. But how can we deny the miracle of creation and all it includes?

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither I, nor anyone else in this thread as far as I have noticed, is denying that. However, the things to which the Bible attaches the word miracle (or signs and wonders) are contrary to the usual and established course of things, deviations from the laws of nature (dead men rising, Red Sea dividing, loaves & fish multiplying), and such like. Where does the Bible attach the word miracle to the regular and usual course of nature?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you treat the feeding of the 5,000 the same way? The Bible does not offer details, but it would be extra astounding if Jesus instantaneously turned 5 loaves and 2 fishes into a gigantic mound of food sufficient to feed many thousands, with leftovers. We weren't there of course, but the mention of baskets would perhaps point to instantaneous filling of them, probably multiple times as the disciples distributed food throughout the crowd.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the scriptures clearly teach to us that God at certain times and for a specific reason invaded His creation and bypassed natural ways things operated!

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, anything we say about how that miracle occurred is speculation, of course. I'm not against thinking of it as a continued miracle, taking the time of the whole meal. However, I've always thought of it as a series of smaller miracles. Peter takes some bread and fish out of his basket and gives it to a kid, then when he looks back in the basket there is the same amount. So that would be a series of 1000s of small miracles. So, I'm in agreement with the "multiple times" you mention, which would be a series of instantaneous miracles.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, as John was very specific to those miracles being a sign to who Jesus is!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that we are agreeing on that, as I just would have a hard time accepting that for example jesus would say to someone they were now healed, but took days or weeks to manifest itself!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it doesn't mention the miracle of creation. What if something is a miracle without being called such? Paul gave us a deeper understanding than the gospels alone ever could.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John mentions the miracles jesus did as signs to himself, things that were outside the known and established physical laws!

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a direct quote from John, but that has to be close to my own definition. That's why I don't care t o hear people calling a lot of things "miracles"... recovering quickly from the flu, getting a needed job with better than expected pay and benefits, finding out one has just enough money in the bank to go on an upcoming mission trip.... these kind of things are not at all outside natural laws and processes.

14. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right. It doesn't. To clarify re my posts #63 and #65, I was trying to express general agreement with your points about who God is and what he does. However, I am not aware that the Bible ever speaks with the term miracle concerning the creation. That Christian writers or speakers may therefore choose not to use the term miracle when speaking of it does not make them any less amazed and blown away by an all-powerful God speaking and it is done, than someone who does use the term miracle.

The starting place on what to describe as a miracle, in my opinion, is to find out the kinds of things the Bible describes as miracles and then try to stay within that territory when calling things miracles.

#74 rlvaughn, May 26, 2021
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. We might do well to re-establish the reasons for making these distinctions. (Feel free to add to this.) Signs and wonders were purposeful, namely witness to God’s leading to a larger group. They often served a dual purpose by bringing a special blessing, e.g., limited deliverance.

Creation, including life, would be a special ongoing case of miracle. That it exists, that we exist, does point to God in a powerful way. While it may not directly witness to his word, it certainly does witness to him. You’d have to be a devilishly clever philosopher who just doesn’t want to see, or under such influence, to miss it.

“The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world.” (Psalms 19:1-4a)

I well recall an evangelist telling of being in Africa. While retelling the story of creation, a woman who’d never heard it before spoke up, “I’ve always thought it must have been something like that.”

• Like Like x 1
  16. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well you don't like it how God speaks to His children and makes new ones through a book made with paper and ink is ironic coming from a man of your profession.

17. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then how about this, of course it's NOT a miracle:

For in him we live, and move, and have our being;
    Acts 17:28

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    If creation is not a miracle, then do you agree with the atheists?

Paul expanded our knowledge so that God being the supernatural cause of all, all becomes a supernatural effect of his causing it.

19. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you imply that I agree with the atheists if I won't use your preferred terminology? Obviously I don't, which you should already know if you read what I posted about God, his creation, and his rulership over it.

20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. It's just a coincidence.