1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are There Any Catholics On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by John Yurich, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Yurich

John Yurich Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are there are any Catholics on this forum? I am a Baptized Catholic who attends the local Catholic parish on Saturday Vigil Mass. I also attend the local Baptist Church on Sunday mornings. I am both Catholic and Baptist. I am a Baptist as the result of having been Baptized via immersion on 21 May after worship at that Baptist Church I attend on Sunday mornings.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church of rome would see you as now being an apostate, as your baptism was to them into a false faith!

3. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John, you've been here long enough. Your first question is already known by yourself and you have already told us on numerous occasions about your duel denomination dwelling. What you have never told us is your conversion story. Do tell...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will say this, even Baptist's believe in the Holy Trinity. So I would not say, nor would the Catholic Church say, that the Baptist faith tradition is a completely false Christian faith tradition as they do have elements of the truth.

As for our friend, his baptism is valid - the first one he had via God's Holy Church. An indelible mark was left on his soul and he was welcomed into the world as a Christian at that time. As for the second "baptism" - he only got wet.

#4 Adonia, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  5. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So tell me, when the Baptist Pastor gives you his opinion of the Scriptures, do you find yourself comparing it to the gold standard of orthodox Christian interpretation? Good grief, time after time on just about everything what the Baptist preacher says is at odds with Catholic teaching. So what's the point of attending a Baptist service? ​

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More like: Catholic catechism is at odds with The Word of God. Vatican II not withstanding, the magnitude of apostasy has increased in the past two thousand years.

I am a pre-Vat II ex-RC, baptized and brainwashed under auspices of Pius XII, saved by Grace through Faith, not of myself but having received The Gift from God. I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against That Day.

Where will your soul be in 100 years? Are you sure? What if there really is a second death?

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have seen an increase in Catholics leaving the RCC to join Baptist churches. I believe this is largely due to transplanted Catholics living in a predominantly Protestant area. Many Catholics seem to hold to their faith as mere tradition and are not very attached to the RCC itself. They are not unlike many Baptists on this account.

Anyway, while you may hold membership in both a Catholic and a Baptist church, you cannot BE both as to affirm one is to deny the other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, the only thing you have is YOUR interpretation of the Word of God. An interpretation that you yourself got from other dissenters of orthodox teaching. You believe you are correct, but guess what - so do we.

Good grief, in another thread I quoted direct from the catechism about the Catholic teaching on grace and guess what, it is the same as yours. Grace is a free gift, so teaches the Holy Catholic Church, a teaching which corresponds to the Holy Scriptures.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When he was baptized as a baby, NOTHING happened to him, except got his head wet!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Orthodox christian teaching is NOT what RCC teaches!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think John MacArthur church re-baptizes ex catholics every service, and know my own church were about half ex catholics!

12. John Yurich

John Yurich Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In November 1997 I was prompted by the Holy Spirit to accept Jesus as my Savior and Lord during an Altar Call that was given during a Wild Game Feed at a Non Denominational Church. I started to trust entirely in Jesus alone for salvation after that moment.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Catholic baptism" is a sacrament that places one in the Catholic church. It does not meet the definition of baptism. So these people are not "re-baptized", but "baptized".

14. John Yurich

John Yurich Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well I consider myself to be both Catholic and Baptist. Naturally I do not subscribe to the unscriptural Catholic doctrines and the unscriptural parts of the Mass. I do not subscribe to the Catholic doctrine of Holy Communion. I accept the Lutheran doctrine of Holy Communion. I also accept the Baptist doctrine of Holy Communion.

15. John Yurich

John Yurich Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I consider Infant Baptism to be valid as it is done in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I believe however that Infant Baptism is just a dedication of infants to Jesus and does not impart salvation. Just like Adult Baptism is just a dedication of adults to Jesus and is a profession of faith that one gave their life to Christ.

16. John Yurich

John Yurich Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When I was Baptized as a baby I believe it was just a dedication of me to Jesus and thus I consider my Baptism as an infant in the Catholic Church to be valid as it was done in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just need to be a Baptist, as the RCC sees you as not being a Catholic based upon your state beliefs!

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I mean is that Catholic "baptism" does not meet the basic definition of baptism (much less Christian baptism...i.e., a baptism associated with salvation itself). It is more of a dedication (in fact, Baptist churches often dedicate infants and this is sometimes referred to...by others...as a "dry baptism").

Adult baptism as just a dedication is also not "Christian baptism". Baptism (as used in Scripture) is a part of the conversion experience. Symbolic, yes, but not merely so.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I consider myself the world's foremost theologian. Unfortunately, I'm the only one aboard this train. :Cautious

What I mean is that an affirmation of many basic Catholic doctrines are denials of Baptist doctrine (and sometimes Scripture itself). As an example, the most basic Catholic doctrine of the church is a denial of Baptist doctrine.

20. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What do you mean by the term "accept Jesus?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.