1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are there Catholics and Orthodox that are practicing and saved?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The first paragraph is entirely correct. That is the spirit of the question. The rest of the post is a good point. So then those who don't believe Catholics are saved believe not in faith alone but faith + "good" doctrine?

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Excellent point.

HP: Works, including faith, trust, or belief, in their most primitive stages all start with the formation of intents. The will is involved in faith as well as in any work. If one is not forming intents consistent with good works I for one would believe Scripture clearly denotes the faith they might think they have as 'dead.' What is this about ‘addicted’ to good works?? Would that be something similar to being 'zealous' of good works?
    Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.” Strange as it may seem to you, that sure sounds like a good thing to me. Would to God more professing Christians would be ‘addicted’ or ‘zealous’ to do good works.

If works are not a part of your relationship with God, does not Scripture say that your faith is in vain, “dead” as a matter of fact, being alone? Jas 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
    Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
    Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

3. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK, I find myself once again agreeing with the content of your post, but despising your tone. Your response that it is "an obvious twisting of the scripture" is violent in it's hatred and I find it useful for nothing but insult. If it were obvious, then he - along with everyone else - would see it the way you do. Clearly, it is not obvious, so instead of trying to shame him for not sharing your point of view, perhaps it would be more useful to lay out your case from the scripture.

DHK, you are entirely too contentious. You incite. Your words fall to the floor without meaning because of your contention. Your authority is moot because of your lack of love.
    1Cr 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Pro 26:21 [As] coals [are] to burning coals, and wood to fire; so [is] a contentious man to kindle strife.

1Cr 13:2 And though I have [the gift of] prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
    Yet all of your knowledge and wisdom counts as nothing because you don't have love.

Mat 21:16 And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?

Act 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

4. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I disagree. I think DHK presented it consistently with it's context.

Jhn 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

It seems like Jesus relates keeping commandments directly to personal relationship.

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin.
    21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
    22 Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

5. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BTW my referrence to DHK wasn't specific with Romans 5:1. It was the other verses which he had previously quoted. The point is Catholics and Orthodox both believe that they are Justified by their faith but there is a responsibility to do works once they are saved. They agree without faith there are no amount of deeds that can be done to gain salvation. Once belief is in place there is a responsibility to do deeds. Not to do so is not in keeping with salvation. Unlike most here Catholics and Orthodox believe you can become apostate. So Salvation is having been saved by God giving you the faith by which you accept it. For them salvation is living in that Grace and continualy staying in it. and Finally Salvation is the reception of that future hope of the resurrected body. But all of it is accomplished on the Cross, and the ressurection of Jesus Christ and is being accomplished as we live our lives. And will be accomplished when we receive the eternal glory. For Classical Christian their deffinition is more than one thing. Its inclusive of the entire christian experience. So they would look at it like this Romans 1:16
    We are saved because we believed. This believe isn't given by our selves but by God to us. But then there is the ongoing salvation (living out your salvation) Philipians 2:12
    and again 1 Pet 2:2
    Also Paul is writing to the Corinthians here or to a group of believers who are saved yet he says
    This must mean their continuing salvation or living salvation since the hearers are already believers. Paul is willing to suffer that the Corinthians might live out their salvation. Otherswise why would people already elect in this verse
    May obtain salvation? Or
    So salvation is a continuing thing which leads us in obedience and finally there it is reflective of the thought that we will be saved once all is done.
    In the context of the verse he's saying live rightly because the future salvation hoped for is nearer than when they first believed. So they had at once already been saved by their believe but they obviously are waiting for their future salvation.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Was it a twisting of Scripture? Yes.
    Why is it violent and hatred to point out truth. That in itself is a personal attack which is against the BB rules. Who gives you the right to read into a person's heart? You have that God-given ability? Where from?
    Look at the inconsistency of your own post right here.

"I find my self agreeing with you."
    Then you attack me, first by quoting me, Your response ...is " an obvious twisting of the Scripture."
    1. Now remember, you have just said that you have agreed with me.
    2. But now you say, "Clearly it is not so obvious."
    3. So in contradiction of yourself you don't agree with me. You say what was formerly obvious is now not obvious.

To point out truth is not hatred, my friend.
    To point out error is not hatred either.
    Perhaps you should check your own heart.
    More personal insult; more looking where you cannot see.

Romans 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This thread is well past the 30 page mark and needs to be closed.
    If you desire to start a new one please feel free to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.