1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are you obeying Mark 16:15?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 23, 2016.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took it as a light hearted comment.

Sent from my TARDIS

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a problem with him. I find him amusing just like I found the comment amusing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I LOL'ed. I do not have show ignored content. I wonder how many on here would have Jesus on ignore if he used a posting name?

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Would it be a tract or more of a book? Was it handed out by someone announcing at a street corner and not followed up on?

I don't mind tracts but I certainly don't use them in place of true discipleship. Making disciples is the goal - not handing out pieces of paper that 99.9% of the time end up in the trash. For a waitress or waiter, I think it is better to ask "How may I pray for you?" and wait to hear a response. If one wants to, handing out a tract with a way to be contacted would be fine - but to just hand it out blindly with no way for the person to contact the hander-outer I think is irresponsible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surely you haven't run out of pictures of rabbits?!

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    99.99% of the time will end in the trash? What a wild assumption.

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today I wrote a letter to a old high school friend... To me that is the key to witnessing... There is a relationship and to others there is none... You want to witness do it by your walk!... I remember hearing a preacher who once said this "I would rather see a sermon than hear one!"... If you walk the walk you can talk the talk and that is what will draw people... I agree that most of the tracts will end up in the trash... The best way I know to draw people to Christ is service (be a servant)... Not a sermon!... Brother Glen

#27 tyndale1946, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How many are on the ground after you hand them out?

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am reminded of a rebuke given by Dr. Bob Jones Jr to students who would leave a tract rather than a tip behind for the waitress. That man could scold students as I have rarely heard anyone able to do.

He wasn't against the tracts, he was against the irresponsible testimony that went along with the giving of the tracts.

Can you imagine the response of the Philippian jailer if Paul and Silas were drinking, swearing, rude, crude, angry ...?

• Like Like x 1
  10. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if anyone is as long on the tooth as I am on here... Next month I will be seventy... That being said I remember a tract put out by Chick Publications... Full of scripture, warnings and drawings... These usually appeared around Halloween... Warning that if you didn't turn your life around you are headed for Hell... And told you the procedure you should take to make sure you don't end up there... Many times a child would empty their bag of candy and there would be a tract... You would find them in the street and on lawns and sidewalks... Really that is witnessing?... Forced religion is not true religion and Jesus Christ never forced his belief on anyone and neither do I!... Brother Glen

#30 tyndale1946, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the Gay Pride festival I passed out more than a hundred and did not witness a single one on the ground. On a normal evangelism day I may find about 5-10 on the ground but I pass out 100-300. Thats not a bad percentage. People take the tracts and I do see people reading them. If the tract is well done I will find more people reading them. This is usually the case with tracts produced by Living Waters and Gospel Tract Planet.

For St. Patricks Day I plan to pass out this tract

http://www.tractplanet.com/St-Patricks-Day-Card_p_55.html

As with last year I expect most will read the tract and I will find less than 5 on the ground.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. I have a friend on Facebook whom passes out Chic Tracts by the numbers. I am also aware of a street preacher in DT Denver that uses Chic Tracts. It is true that some may toss them on the ground but that has been rarely the case in my experience. Also passing out a tract is not forced religion, its planting a seed with someone that you will probably never see again.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well obviously if you give the waitress a money tract and not real money that would be a bad witness. This is just common sense. But why not leave behind a tip and a tract? Thats exactly what I do.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a false premise. Moral living is not the answer, the gospel is the answer and it preached! The Bible says in Romans "How shall they hear without a preacher?"

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also God draws the converts not us. He grants faith and repentance and brings forth the elect to salvation.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I write letters to old high school friends among others all the time. I also make sure to include gospel tracts in my letters. Do you?

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a place for using booklets and books in evangelism. I recently ordered 10 booklets from Living Waters for use after a deep conversation in evangelism. I do not randomly pass out booklets as they cost far more than tracts and I do not want them in the trash.

18. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your conviction works for you and you are happy in that... I was giving my point of view as I see it... What works for you does not work for me but you are the one that started the OP!... You have taken a verse out of context Mark 16:15 not talking heed to the ones that follow 16, 17, and 18... Do those signs that follow those that believe still apply today?... Brother Glen

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is a stereotype but one in my experience that is often true. Those folk are typically neat; I also wouldn't expect them to litter. Now give it to a straight fellow like me and that sucker is ending up on the ground.

Sent from my TARDIS

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a good idea. I still wouldn't use the money tract in that situation. But a tract as a tip is poor form.

Sent from my TARDIS