1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are you OK with professional sports teams public support of recent cop protests?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Dec 10, 2014.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So close....The reason is the company with the product that is being pitched by the athlete has chosen not to pay the exorbitant licensing fees to allow them to show the team logo, or else the league has decided not to give the company a license to use their trademarked images.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were you aware of that? It didn't seem like it. Again, it would be interesting to see if there was any outrage with Tim Tebow wearing bible verses on his eye black patches. Or is it possible that the outrage over this is over has something to do with the fact that people here disagree with the statement these players are making.

It's possible that they are afraid to do something about it. Then again its possible that it is a total nonissue for them.

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the father of a high school senior applying to colleges, what you have stated is not a fact. Each college has their own requirements. Most athletic scholarships are given with little or no regard for the high school academic record, but as a college student they are supposed to attain at least a 2.0 GPA. Your statement about non-athletes minimum GPA is not a universal fact either. It depends on the institution.

Nobody was saying that. I still want to know why you think most of the NBA players could not pass an 8th grade aptitude test.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NCAA requires a 2.0 to get a scholarship and a 2.3 to play. Look it up. Individual schools may require more, but not less.

As for the rest, what is it about "generally" that you don't understand?

BTW The NCAA rule is new. Starts in 2015. The standard was lower.

#64 carpro, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  5. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah yes, that is the primary reason of course. Video games have this same issue with the players unions with regards to using their likenesses and names in league licensed games. If permission was not received you would see rosters where the players had the same skin color, position and attributes of their counterparts without their actual names being used. Video game companies could get around this by making the names editable which would allow players to change the names themselves. Tedious but effective.

I thought I remember a basketball player in the 90's that had an issue with the NBA over competing brands (think it was a shoe) I think the licensing agreement was an issue in that one too though so I don't know if competing brand uses in a legitimate team uniform was the main factor or not.

6. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, it's fun to try to pin racism on others isn't it. Looks like you were having a blast in here.

The rest is a nice strawman though. You have now changed the subject to academic standards which of course has not been brought up by anyone. You also made the statement that most of the players in the NBA didn't even finish college implying that they were unintelligent. You yourself just admitted that you didn't finish college. You turned out okay didn't you? I think you even called them "mental midgets" when most of them have the same or more education than you yourself have. This came around nicely.

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some teams have contracts with equipment manufacturers whereby they are contractually obligated to wear "X" brand of shoe, or "Y" brand of uniform. (This happens a lot in college, they need the free equipment.) This is getting so bad that even Little League Baseball® requires players in the L.L. World Series to only use Easton brand bats (or else no branding graphics whatsoever on the bat.)

You might be thinking of a case where a player wore a different brand of shoe in violation of the team contract. Players get around that now by wearing a different shoe, but sewing on the required brand's logo.

In a lot of ads you will see a player with the exact color uniform, with their team uniform number sewed on (though not in the same font as the official uniform), and with the same color cap or helmet. Only thing missing is the team name and/or logo. That's how they get around the product licensing requirement, which is typically something like a $500,000 upfront fee and then 9% royalties on all sales.

8. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yeah, have you been following the headphone drama in the NFL? That has become another odd little battle.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should know. You've spent enough time trying to pin it on me. and that's right. I was having a blast.

ITL is no racist. I was just poking him for bringing race into it.

10. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah I do it all the time to you.:laugh: Maybe you ought to apologize to him for blatant trolling.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I'll leave the intelligence argument to you. You're the only one that's mentioned it. It's going to be a one sided argument. You shouldn't have any trouble winning it.

12. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should wear your shoes backwards today to help with all the backpeddling. You totally never mentioned intelligence with your comments about "mental midgets," graduation rates and academic standards. Nice form on the backstroke. :thumbsup:

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, that's another facet of the same issue.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got it....