1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ashes & What Happens in Hell

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mark Corbett, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not true for two reasons:
    1. Many Christians follow a path like that of the late John Stott, who saw biblical evidence for annihilationism and remained solidly within the evanglical fold, in fact he was a great leader and Bible expositor during his lifetime.
    2. The Bible does not teach eternal torment.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you show where the Greek word, ἀπόλλῡμι, means "to annihilate"?. This is from Liddell & Scotts Greek Lexicon

ἀπόλλῡμι or ἀπολ-ύω

(Th. 4.25, Pl. R. 608e, Arist. Pol. 1297a12, but f.l. in Men. 580; the form is rejected by Phryn. PS p.10 B., Moer. 12), impf. ἀπώλλυν A. Pers. 652 (lyr.), S. El. 1360, ἀπώλλυον And. 1.58: fut. ἀπολέσω, ἀπολέσσω, Att. ἀπολῶ, Ion. ἀπολέω Hdt. 1.34, al.: aor. ἀπώλεσα, ἀπόλεσσα: pf. ἀπολώλεκα: — freq. in tmesi in; Pr postponed in Od. 9.534: —

1. stronger form of ὄλλυμι, destroy utterly, kill, in Hom. mostly of death in battle, ἀπώλεσε λαὸν Ἀχαιῶν 11.5.758, al.; ἐκπάγλως ἀπόλεσσαν ib. 1.268; also of things, demolish, lay waste, ἀπώλεσεν Ἴλιον ἱρήν ib. 5.648, etc.; generally, βίοτον δ' ἀπὸ πάμπαν ὀλέσσει will waste my substance, Od. 2.49; οἵ μ' ἀπωλλύτην sought to destroy me (impf. sense), S. OT 1454; in pregnant sense, ἐπεί με γᾶς ἐκ πατρίας ἀπώλεσε drove me ruined from.., E. Hec. 946; τῆς παρ' ἡμέραν χάριτος τὰ μέγιστα τῆς πόλεως ἀ. for the sake of.., D. 8.70.

2. λόγοις or λέγων ἀ. τινά talk or bore one to death, S. El. 1360, Ar. Nu. 892 (lyr.): hence, alone, in fut. ἀπολεῖς με Id. Ach. 470; οἴμ' ὡς ἀπολεῖς με Pherecr. 108.20; ἀπολεῖ μ' οὑτοσί by his questions, Antiph. 222.8, etc.

3. ruin a woman, Lys. 1.8.

II lose, πατέρ' ἐσθλὸν ἀπώλεσα Od. 2.46, cf. Il. 18.82, Democr. 272; ἀπώλεσε νόστιμον ἦμαρ Od. 1.354; ἀπὸ θυμὸν ὀλέσσαι

1. lose one's life, 11.16.861, Od. 12.350; θυμὸν οὐκ ἀπώλεσεν loses not his spirit, S. El. 26; ἔλεον ἀπώλεσεν 11.24.44; freq. of things, ἡ τοῦ πλέονος ἐπιθυμίη τὸ παρεὸν ἀπόλλυσι Democr. 224; ἵππους ἑβδομήκοντα ἀπολλύασι Th. 7.51; ἀπώλεσαν τὴν ἀρχὴν ὑπὸ Περσῶν X. An. 3.4.11, cf. 7.2.22; μηδὲν ἀπολλὺς τοῦ ὄγκου Pl. Tht. 155c; ἀ. οὐσίαν, = ἀπόλλυσθαι, Id. Prm. 163d. Med., ἀπόλλῠμαι: fut. -ολοῦμαι, Ion. -ολέομαι Hdt. 7.218: aor. 2 -ωλόμην: pf. -όλωλα, whence the barbarous impf. ἀπόλωλο Ar. Th. 1212: plpf. in Att. Prose sts. written ἀπωλώλειν in codd., as Th. 4.133, 7.27: — perish, die, 11.1.117, etc.; cease to exist, opp. γίγνεσθαι, Meliss. 8, Pl. Prm. 156b, etc.: sts. c. acc. cogn., ἀπόλωλε κακὸν μόρον Od. 1.166; ἀπωλόμεθ' αἰπὺν ὄλεθρον ib. 9.303: c. dat. modi, ἀπώλετο λυγρῷ ὀλέθρῳ (v.l. λυγρὸν ὄλεθρον) ib. 3.87; ἀ. ὑπό τινος Hdt. 5.126; simply, to be undone, αὐτῶν.. ἀπωλόμεθ' ἀφραδίῃσιν Od. 10.27; ἀπωλώλει τῷ φόβῳ μή.. X. Cyr. 6.1.2: freq. in Att., esp. in pf., ἀπόλωλας you are lost, Ar. Nu. 1077; ἀπωλόμεθ' ἂν εἰ μὴ ἀπολώλειμεν Plu. 2.185f; ἱκανὸν χρόνον ἀπολλύμεθα καὶ κατατετρίμμεθα Ar. Pax 355; βλέπειν ἀπολωλός Philostr.Jun. Im. 2: — as an imprecation, κάκιστ' ἀπολοίμην εἰ.. Ar. Ach. 151, al.; κακὸς κακῶς ἀπόλοιθ' ὅστις.. Eub. 116; ἐξώλης ἀπόλοιθ' ὅστις.. Men. 154; ἀπολλύμενος, opp. σῳζόμενος, Isoc. 6.36, cf. Plu. 2.469d: freq. in part. fut., κάκιστ' ἀπολούμενε o destined to a miserable end! i.e. o thou villain, scoundrel, knave! Ar. Pl. 713, cf. 456, Ach. 865, Pax 2; ὁ κάκιστ' ἀνέμων ἀ. Luc. DDeor. 14.2.

2. in NT, perish, in theol. sense, Joh_3:16, al.; οἱ ἀπολλύμενοι, opp. οἱ σῳζόμενοι, 1Co_1:18.

II to be lost, ὕδωρ ἀπολέσκετ' (of the water eluding Tantalus) Od. 11.586; οὔποτε καρπὸς ἀπόλλυται never falls untimely, ib. 7.117; ἀπό τέ σφισιν ὕπνος ὄλωλεν Il. 10.186; γέλως ἐξ ἀνθρώπων ἀπόλωλεν X. Smp. 1.15; ἀπολόμενον ἀργύριον Antipho Soph. 54; ἀπώλοντο οἱ ὄνοι LXX 1Sa_9:3.

When it says, "cease to exist", it has nothing to do with extinction, but that these had died.

In Greek there are words that do speak of "extermination, destruction", like the verb, "ἀφᾰνισμός", as used by Polybius, Plutarchus, Aristoteles, etc.

3. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I mentioned in a previous comment, I have presented an in depth word study of apollumi in another video. I present detailed evidence and arguments to show that apollumi, when referring to what happens to the unsaved at final judgment, does mean annihilation. Here is that video again:

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is only your personal reading of it. The language of the Bible, like Matthew 24:46, contrasts Eternal Life, with Eternal suffering. In both cases the Greek, αἰώνιος, means, "without end, never to cease, everlasting". What is true of "Life", has to be true of "punishment". In verse 41 we read of hell being a place of "eternal fire", where the Greek is better, "εις το πυρ το αιωνιον", "into the fire the eternal", where the "fire" will indeed be "eternal", hence the Greek article is used with each word.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, this "indepth" study is what you assume ἀπόλλῡμι to mean. I know of no examples from the LXX, where this word is used to show to annihilate.

Will you be dealing with what I said earlier on Jude 7 and Revelation 19 and 20, where it is clear, that in the former case, the people of Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed in Genesis 19, and yet writing 1000's of years later, Jude says that their suffering was still ongoing at his time. Likewise, in the passages in Revelation, the beast and false prophet were cast into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone, at the beginning of the 1000 Years, and at the end, when the devil is thrown into the same Lake of Fire and Brimstone, the beast and false prophet, are very much still there! And "shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever". "εις τους αιωνας των αιωνων", which is the strongest possible way to say in Greek, "time without end"! Nothing here about being "annihilated"!

6. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that αἰώνιος (aionios) means "everlasting" both times it is used on Matthew 25:46. Here is the verse:

CSB17 Matthew 25:46 "And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Notice that only the righteous get eternal life.
    There is only one type of punishment that lasts forever but does not require living forever: permanent annihilation.

Matthew 25:46 teaches conditional immortality, not eternal torment. Torment is not the only type of punishment.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    II hope to have time to respond to all the points in your comments. Soon I will be shifting to some other commitments this evening, but hope to reengage tomorrow. I may still have a little time tonight. Feel free to remind me if I miss some important points.
    In my word study I focus on data for apollumi from the NT supplemented with some extrabiblical data. However, the LXX does use apollumi in a way that is consistent with annihilation in Psalm 37. That is explained in some depth in this article that I coauthored at Rethinking Hell:

Psalm 37: Song of Annihilation

9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Hebrew נֶפֶשׁ, like the Greek, ψυχή, also means, "a person, a living being". And, there is physical and spititual and eternal "death", taught in the Bible.

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    that will lead many into GRAVE ERROR!

11. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the Bible never says that all humans have an immortal soul or that all people will live forever. Rather, the Bible teaches that eternal life is only received as God's gracious gift to those who believe in Jesus. I have a 7 minute video on this exact topic:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Many saw John Stott as beginning to fall from truth.
    Jesus taught eternal torment more than anyone else.
    I have seen you attempt these falsehoods on several forums, it does not change the truth as historically understood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

16:20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

16:28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

According to scripture, it says I can't deliver one person out of Hell and also according to this it is a place of eternal torment... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a weak argument. Atheists expect nothing but this life. The godless feed their hedonism because they see this life as all there is. If there is no justice provided by God for their sin and nothing but annihilation happens, then the majority of sinners get what they expected and are oblivious to whatever they may have missed. There is no sadness on their part. They got what they expected and what they argued for from the beginning. God therefore never avenges the blood of the saints who were martyred. No justice, no peace.

15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread, and its topic, are a direct attack on the Biblical Doctrine of eternal, concious, suffering, for the unsaved lost. This is an attack that has its origin in hell, and the devil as its author, who from the beginning said to Adam and Eve, "hath God said", so as to contradict the very Words of Almighty God! Sadly he is using those who call themselves "evangelical", to promote his fase HERESIES! IF there is no eternal suffering for the unsaved lost, then Jesus Christ is not truthful in what He Himself taught, and the Holy Bible is a book that teaches falsehood. Both, we know to be not possible!

Like so called "New Atheism", and other arracks on the God of the Bible, and The Bible Itself, these LIARS will be destroyed by the TRUTH of Holy Scripture.

16. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Glen,

You wrote:

The Scripture you quote for this is Luke 16:19-31, the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus.

That story takes place in the intermediate state prior to resurrection and final judgment. The doctrine of conditional immortality does not address what happens in the intermediate state. Instead, it is focused on the fate of the ungodly at final judgment. Further, the story does show the rich man in torment, but it does not say that the torment will continue forever.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHY are you avioding Jude 7 and Revelation 19 and 20???

18. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A couple of comments about a few of your objections:

Sure it is. It's capital punishment.

Please be specific about the passages where the Bible claims the wicked suffer in everlasting conscious torment.

Because he had wasted his life and will miss out on everything he had seen and heard regarding Jesus.

Gnashing of teeth is an idiom that many believe is of suffering. It's not. It is an idiom that represents unholy rage and disgust. It is used in Acts 7:54, when Stephen was before the Council. They became furious with Stephen ("Now when they heard this, they were infuriated, and they began gnashing their teeth at him"), rushed him, and stoned him. Stephen was not causing them physical pain. So weeping and gnashing of teeth is sadness and unholy rage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's look at Luke 12:47-48 instead of your interpretation of the verses:

And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accordance with his will, will receive many blows, but the one who did not know it, and committed acts deserving of a beating, will receive only a few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

The passage does NOT say "a severe beating" or "a light beating," it says "many blows" and "a few blows." If eternal conscious torment is true, both situations will be an infinite number of blows, contradicting the plain meaning of verses.

For the passage to make sense, the punishments have to end at some point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    quench - /kwen(t)SH/ - verb - extinguish (a fire)

The "worms," actually maggots, turn into flies. The maggot stage is simply one part of the life cycle.

The fundamental issue here is that you apparently don't recognize the passage Jesus is quoting. You can be sure His audience knew it:

Isaiah 66:22-24
    “For just as the new heavens and the new earth,
    Which I make, will endure before Me,” declares the Lord,
    “So will your descendants and your name endure.
    And it shall be from new moon to new moon
    And from Sabbath to Sabbath,
    All mankind will come to bow down before Me,” says the Lord.
    “Then they will go out and look
    At the corpses of the people
    Who have rebelled against Me.
    For their worm will not die
    And their fire will not be extinguished;
    And they will be an abhorrence to all mankind.”

This is the final image of Isaiah (the last three verses), where the enemies of God had been slain ("corpses of the people who have rebelled against Me") who, in death, have the shame of being consumed by fire and maggots, with no one putting out the fire (quenching it) and the maggots happily consuming the flesh until they turn into flies.

This is CLEARLY not torment, much less eternal conscious torment. The enemies of God are dead. This, like almost all of the Old and New Testament, points to the destruction of the wicked in the plainest terms imaginable.​

• Agree Agree x 1