1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ask in Sunday School

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Jun 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Romans 9 is about service, not about salvation. Every analogy Paul uses in that chapter has to do with a defense of God's sovereign use of Israel to accomplish His purposes. It has nothing to do with who is or is not saved.

Honorable and dishonorable vessels have to do with degrees of service. The potter analogy shows that potter is sovereign over the clay to make it into what he wants. The same lump of clay that could be made into a vase that sits in Buckingham Palace is also the same clay that can be made into a bed pan. It can be used for honorable or ignoble purposes.

God can use one person to be a great leader and someone else for lesser more humble purpose. God NEVER ordains anyone to Hell.

Paul refers to those who are vessels of wrath prepared for destruction. But in the Greek, God is not the one preparing them for destruction. The word "prepared" is in the middle voice. That means that it refers to what someone has done to themselves. Pharaoh made himself a vessel prepared for destruction. God did not create him that way.

So no, you still have NO passages that says God causes some people to go to Hell.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again you pick one verse thinking it supports you. It does not

From that same Romans 11 it states further:
    28As regards the gospel, they are enemies for your sake. But as regards election, they are beloved for the sake of their forefathers. 29For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. 30For just as you were at one time disobedient to God but now have received mercy because of their disobedience, 31so they too have now been disobedient in order that by the mercy shown to you they also may now receive mercy. 32For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all.
    You stated, “ No, God does not choose Hell as the destiny for some and you have NO Scripture to back up that nonsense.”

This statement is refuted by Christ who said, “...those who believe not are condemned already ...”

Therefore, most certainly God does choose hell as the destiny for some - He has “already.”

• Like Like x 1
  3. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does, like it or not.

Wrong and that is just more sloppy exegesis. Those who refuse to believe are condemned already because we are born in a default state of condemnation. We are born in sin, separated from God. Those who reject the Lord stand in the condemnation in which all of us are born. Jesus never said that they were chosen for Hell.

You still have nothing to support that heretical statement.

4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not true.

Pharaoh had not “ability to change his mind” much less his heart (core character).

Such a statement is a futile attempt to present God as less than unchangeable, and presenting humankind as some super authority that humans can thwart the very God Creator Sustainer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That explanation dismisses the Lord's statement that he hardened him "in order that" or "so that" he would not let the people go. Not just that he would not -- he could not, unless the Lord was wrong.

6. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. Nothing I said rises to that.

I have the power to hurt an infant child. But I don't have the will to do so. There is nothing in my mind or heart tha would prompt me to do that. Pharaoh had the power to change his mind and obey the Lord and do what the Lord told him to do. That does not thwart God at all. God knows that Pharaoh would not change his mind and he didn't. Nothing in that at all about thwarting God.

That's just you trying to assign false values to my words. A rather dishonest debate tactic.

7. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    That isn't how it reads in Hebrew. It doesn't say that God would harden Pharaoh's heart in order that he would not let the people go. Otherwise, you would have God ordering Pharaoh to do something while at the same preventing Pharaoh from doing it. He would punish Pharaoh for not doing what He would not allow Pharaoh to do. That doesn't reflect the just character of God.

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can retreat to an argument about the Hebrew, but most translators translate it that way -- that, so, so that. Maybe they don't know, either. Ultimately we must "retreat" to the simple statement of God that is active, "I will," not passive. He is talking about something he will do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well does not God do that very thing?

Does He not order by stating all shall bow, yet also state all have turned to their wickedness?

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did not God clearly state the matters concerning the crucifixion, yet implore people to repent?

Isaiah states they thought they were doing the very honorable righteousness of God. BUT it was not so in God’s plan.

Your presentation on this thread consistently removes God from the Sovereign final authority over all, who knows every thought and intent of every heart, and the one who decides how and the priority of those thoughts and intents, and makes Him a weakness of a lesser god submissive to the bound in sin and death human will of humankind.

11. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This has actually devolved into a semantic difference of opinion concerning the definition of “ordained”.

No Calvinist believes that people are inherently GOOD, so God must shove some EVIL into their hearts. God can merely remove restraints and allows the natural evil in the human heart to have more of its way. (Like God granting permission for Satan to attack Job and setting limits “this far and no further”.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were is the ITL numbering? It does not sau that in the original.

Seriously?

I am ancient and no longer scholarly in the original languages but rely upon others to validate my work.

I need to see you produce the proof in another thread (this one closes soon) that others of scholarly merit may validate your interpretation.

It does seem that the translations place the action of ongoing as one who commands.

13. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    It reads in Hebrew, "v'ani a-khazak et-lavo v'lo shalak et-ha-am." Where you find the phrase, "that he shall not" is the Hebrew word, "v'lo." If he wanted to say, "In order that" or "so that" the word would be "l'ma'an."

I am not retreating to an argument about the Hebrew. I simply pointing out that the Hebrew doesn't say what you're saying God said.

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct. Historically the thinking humankind were basically good and always chose what was the best in every situation is a 200 year and a bit invention by those who sought an alternative rather than what the Scriptures presented.

15. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may have a great deal of scholarship in the Hebrew, but I don't know you or what your qualifications are. I do know you are (1) moving the debate to a different location that may not be all that edifying to most of the readers, (2) even if you are a Hebrew scholar, other Hebrew scholars disagree with you, and (3) God said "I will harden" not "I will just perform miracles so that Pharoah will harden..." Interesting that you seemed to be fine with God doing it so that Pharaoh would harden his heart, just not so that he would not let the people go.

16. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “I Will Make Pharaoh Hard ...” is about as accurate as I find, my skills weary.

Again, I call others who remain scholars to kindly instruct if I have failed to maintain the accuracy. I submit to correct scholarship.

There is not even the hint pharaoh could do other than God’s statement. God made pharaoh’s heart hard, and unchangeable so that He would be glorified by signs.

That sort of puts a finish to your view.

It has been dealt with philosophically, by proper Scripture use, and even correcting you thinking allowing for room that perhaps pharaoh could have a change of heart.

I am too tired to contend further.

17. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, I never said that God did not harden Pharaoh's heart. You are trying to refute an argument I didn't make. So I can see you are really confused and lack competent debate skills. Perhaps you should bow out if you can't correctly frame my argument.

18. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not moving the debate anywhere. YOU engaged me and I am just responding to you. Again, I never said that God did not harden Pharaoh's heart. You can't seem to get past that. You can't seem to be unable to actually address what I said. My point is that God hardened Pharaohs' heart and that hardening was the direct result the plagues God sent.

The text also says in places that Pharaoh continued to harden his own heart, which is also part of the issue, and you seemed to not want to accept that fact. God was not doing to Pharaoh anything that he had not already done to himself, as well. There are two things going on with Pharaoh. He is being hardened by God as a result of God's actions, but Pharaoh's own pride was also in play.

Pharaoh, even before God started hardening his heart, was already full of pride and was not going to obey the word of the Lord in Exodus 5. So hardening process in Pharaoh had already begun by the time the Lord started hardening him.

19. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This narrows it down to the crux of the issue. No, I never said Pharaoh did not harden his own heart. But as far as the sequencing of the hardening of Pharaoh heart, it was God first, then Pharaoh. I can find no verse or verses that say otherwise. I was taught that God only hardened Pharaoh's heart after Pharaoh first hardened his own heart, and believed that for a long time. The sequence is Exodus does not bear that out.

20. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't use those exact words in Exodus 5, but it is clear from the text that Pharaoh's heart was hardened against Moses and the Israelites. It is there in function.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.