1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist Business Meetings

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Aug 25, 2020.

1. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I agree.
    I've also seen clueless 5 year olds getting baptized because their older siblings were (because their friends were) and everyone was so excited.

I have also met adults that claim "our body is a Temple" so they want a sermon on the health benefits of tamarind ... I don't particularly want them voting on a Pastor, either. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

I fully agree on point # 1 - I would have much doubt on anyone under 10

Don't fully agree on point 2 - Does that mean that any person who is dogmatic about some issue (dress code, must attend a Christian school, should not buy a Sunday newspaper, and 99 others) should not be allowed to vote in a church business meeting

3. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is EXACTLY why you don't want someone like ME setting the rules on who should vote. Yet therein lies the rub, EVERYONE is like me ... only the details differ.

That is where Scripture allows us to use God's guidelines. God set up His criteria for being part of His Body and our criteria for dealing with other members of the Body. ANYONE that meets God's criteria IS PART OF THE BODY. Not because I say so, but because God says so.

Just point out the "minimum age" from scripture and I will 100% accept it.
    The same goes for baptizing babies, I am perfectly willing to baptize any baby that meets God's criteria ...

If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. [Romans 10:9-10 NIV]

When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off--for all whom the Lord our God will call." [Acts 2:37-39 NIV]

4. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you look at Johns Disciples they seem to most likely be adults

In Acts seemingly not the case.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not talking about writing a constitution to determine who should be allowed to vote - rather any church member should be allowed to vote
    on any and all business of a church - including voting on a new pastor. Provided that individual is 18 years old.

But then again - Scriptures do not put an age limit on who can vote.... Hmmm

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul commands we do all things in an orderly way. Adult members vote on issues of the church.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is my view ... Baptism IS membership into the Body, so one is either ready to be a member of the body or they are not. Members vote. Non-Members do not vote. There are no "Second Class" (semi-members) of the Body of Christ.

Age is not a scriptural defining factor. Remember [1 Timothy 4:12 NASB] Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe.

8. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    How old is an "Adult"?
    • 13 when their marriage was arranged or 30 when Jesus started his ministry? :)

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In continental Europe, Baptist churches of the European Convention do not baptize anyone under 18 (i.e., "adult" baptism), nor receive them into church membership, but they do accept all under that age professing faith in Christ into the "watchcare" of the local church. Seems to solve voting issues easily that way.

I should also point out that this keeps them away from prosyletizing lawsuits by offended state church pastors and parents (particularly Lutherans and Catholics).

10. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continental Europe ... isn't that the place with all the giant, empty churches that are "Cultural Landmarks"? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In our church Const - I use that verse ( I Cor 14:40) on the intro page.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perfect description of the official State Churches. The Baptist churches there are quite small but quite full (ask the IMB headquarters in Prague).

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And dont forget the International Baptist Convention - many are "SBC" churches near military bases.
    One of the biggest would be Faith Baptist, in K-town. In fact, you can catch their live FB service 430 am (ET)

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist business meeting compare to the current situation of rioting ... not that I've been involved in any where there was actual violence committed, that is beyond members walking out and slamming the door. But it compares in that the dissension that is really known to be there suddenly emerges into fruition. Then there is shouting, name-calling, accusations, questioning of motives, and cliques become more apparent.

15. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC is a lot like Walmart. The church is more like the people who shop there.

16. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each church makes the decision. I favor the elder rule model. The council of elders make decisions that are approved by voting members.

I’ve seen people getting five year olds baptized ahead of important votes. Of course, the kids vote like the parents tell them.

peace to you

17. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    So much for Scripture as our only creed. ;)

So do I, and I believe that Scripture does as well.

If the Church is baptizing those that have not presented convincing evidence of saving faith, then THAT is the issue that the Church should fix. They should not create disenfranchised members. That is not Biblical.

Thank you, and right back at ya!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said the church was SBC?
    Would it make a difference if it were not a SBC?

19. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "This church may withdraw from affiliation with the Southern Baptist Convention"

My reply exposes the SBC for what it is and nothing more.

20. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found this part interesting as well. As was said by others, everything in a constitution is there because of some story. I do not know enough about the programs offered by the SBC, but it reminds me of a church that was in all ways independent but joined the EFC to secure a low interest loan to build a new sanctuary. This could have been something like that where the SBC paid for the building and wanted those desiring to be part of the SBC to have preference in keeping the building.

In any event, it is clear that some “elders” thought ahead and planned for several future possibilities and seem to have made a pretty wise choice in how to handle it. If a minority or majority strays from Baptist Truth but the SBC does not, then the building continues with the SBC. If the SBC strays from Baptist Truth, then the entire congregation can withdraw from the SBC and take the building with them.

I am not sure why they placed such strong faith in the SBC faction to control the buildings, but THEY must have had a reason and they provided an escape clause.