1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist School's Million Dollar Stained Glass

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have to understand the underlying cause of such criticism. The truth is and what they most likely will not tell you is the entire motivation for the op is to take a jab at conservatives in the convention and the pattersons more specifically. They will knock over a blind parapalegic blind man to get to have a chance to do that.

So while they feign some moral outrage that is simply a cover for the real intentions.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ^^ (post above) is 100% accurate. Weak, sad attacks by people who hate the conservative schools and agenda. We got the same with the fountain at FBC Dallas.

Heard this same argument somewhere else. Hmm.

"Why this waste? For this could have been sold for a large sum and given to the poor." ​

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

For many years my business was doing work for some very wealthy people. All of them put on their pants the same way and all were in need of Jesus. All of the buildings I built will eventually be gone. I have seen some of my work torn out by the next owner. When I first saw that happen I was reminded of the energy I put into that work and how nice it looked. It taught me a lesson about what really matters most. I finally came to the conclusion that those people will hire someone to do their work and why not let it be me who is a Christian. The man who taught me did much the same thing and gave away most of his money. His wife told me that when he died she had so little that she could not pay for much of a funeral. Nobody knew that and a man from a few years earlier paid for the entire funeral. I had the privilege of living in his home for one year before I got married and saw him on the job and at home. The thing I remember most is his attitude especially when he made a mistake. Many are on the mission today field because of him. When he died the church and gym was packed and there were people standing outside. The city administrators were present. The vendors he did business with shut down their businesses. The city at the time was about 35,000 people. God blessed him in amazing ways like I had never seen anyone. He lived in a two bedroom single bath house. He spent his money on missions and people. His attitude was that the money God gave him was to go to those who needed it and he did not need it. He was a man who was highly skilled and lived on little. The church building we went to was built by the men and women in the church. Their attitude was to save the money and give away all they could. At one time the church gave away 50% of its receipts. The church always had money until it began to focus on money rather than people. The church severely declined to the point where they had to tell missionaries they could no longer support them. Some of the things they owned God took away in a fire.

Several years ago I was working on the home of a Christian family who prayed. I began to notice that almost every worker on the job I was able to talk to about Jesus. I had never seen such openness on a job. In almost every case either I or a worker brought it up. Some of the comments I heard many times were about the attitude of the wife.

I think the difference between someone who lives for Jesus and one who does not is the focus of their life. A highly skilled man thanks God for the doors He opens and the opportunities He gives. He worships God as he works. The ungodly skilled man wants the focus to be on him and his work. The difference is not always in the quality of the work done but in the focus and attitude of the person doing the work. I have seen the rich and poor be grateful and ungrateful. I believe God gives to each person and it is up to them to be good stewards of what He gives. As I have gotten older I have come to the conclusion that it is so little about what we see as extravagant, but what God sees in our heart.

I have come to the conclusion that we will get what we are focused on. If we want things we will only get things, but if we want God we will get Him. That is not limited to wealth or poverty. As I have gotten more wealth I have been able to provide jobs for people and money to help others in ways I never could have before. But along the way I needed some of God's discipline so I would give Him glory and realize who gave me everything I have.

4. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If someone wants to donate money so the chapel can have a nice stain glass window that is their prerogative. If the school pulled from their general fund that would be another issue but since it was donated for the stain glass I don't see what the fuss is all about.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can help you with that. See posts 21 and 22.

6. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, sad but true.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except they're falsehoods.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Liberals have some very nice buildings with great stained glass windows. So how are you helping to draw a distinction?

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed.

Here is actual criticism of the school mentioned in the OP:

And here are previous actual pronouncements on the whole 'ministry vs. monument' issue:

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith: