1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved'

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Melinda

Melinda New Member

roman road

2. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Hi Brother Martin,

Good points. The only place in the Bible where the question is asked and the answer given on how to be saved is found in Acts 16.30. A jailor asked the question, and Paul supplied the answer. What was the intent of the jailor at Philippi when he cried out, "...Sirs, what must I do to be saved (Acts 16.30)?" When instructed by Paul to do himself no harm his excitement was heightened. "Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas (Acts 16.29)." Calling for light; springing in; trembling; falling down; these actions are the evidences of a man in great distress. Was this a dread of pending death? Not likely. He was prepared to die at his own hand just previous to this. Was this the results of fear that his superiors might deal harshly with him? Again, not likely, for he had been assured that there was none missing that he must account for. Was it a whim of the moment like many get at the big "Glory-land meetings" when hotshot preachers plead for decisions? Again, no. I am rather persuaded that this jailor had experienced a work of grace which moved him to ask for what he probably knew little of, if anything.

Someone might say that this is contradictory to my opinion that salvation and the new birth are not the same thing. It is not at all contradictory, if it is kept in mind that the jailor asked, "What must I do to be saved?" as a result of his experience, and not in order to get it.

Brother Joe

3. BrotherJoseph

One more point if I may. What must I do to be saved?" Clearly the jailor did not know what salvation by grace was. Had he known he would not have inquired what he must do. It is obvious that he knew that there was some sort of salvation, or he would not have asked for it. Shall we castigate this miserable jailor for wanting to do something to obtain that salvation? The jailor seemed to make an honest inquiry unworthy of serious reproof, for when he asked, Paul simply informed him to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. Paul did not lay into him with an anti-Arminian harangue. The Apostle must have assumed the poor fellow had life enough to believe, or he would not have so instructed him.

The jailor who sought to be saved we see there as well that Paul and Silas spoke in future terms: "And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house (Acts 16.31)." Thou shalt be saved! No question but they referred to the future. How far into the future is not for us to say except that the clear intention was for something beyond the moment.

All of this leads me to the conclusion that salvation is the whole work of deliverance embracing everything that finally brings us to heaven our home. Salvation embraces all that is past, that is present, and that is to come, which delivers us to our eternal union with the Triune God when time shall be no more. If I were to confine myself to one text that sums up the whole matter of our deliverance it would be the following: "Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us (II Corinthians 1.10)." Past, present, and future deliverance; a whole salvation, and all the work of God

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"Believe and thou shalt be saved." Only the future would make sense here. Salvation is always subsequent to believing. I believe we can safely say that the jailer (as well as all others in the NT) were saved immediately after they believed. 3,000 at Pentecost were saved when or as soon as they believed. Immediately, when Paul addressed Christ as Lord, I believe that is when he was saved. Right after that he replied in complete submission "Lord what will you have me to do?" That is the only example of actual Lordship Salvation that I know of. Thus when one believes, salvation follows, immediately, or as soon as one believes.

5. BrotherJoseph

Brother DHK,

Hello again and happy New Year! I think some of the confusion is you equate being saved and salvation as synonymous with the new birth, which they are not and your statement also seems to imply salvation and being saved are also one time not continuous experience (though most Christians probably refer to them in a similar manner as use have used them in your above post). No doubt the new birth is part of salvation and being saved, but not all of salvation, and salvation happens in an order in time with the new birth occurring earlier, rather than later in the order for a child of God. We will also probably disagree in that I contend the jailer experienced the new birth prior to asking "What must I do to be saved".

There are many well-known texts in the Bible touching on the subject of salvation. Many of these texts make the conclusion to be unmistakable that salvation was accomplished in time past, and yet is to be accomplished. None make this clearer than the following: "Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life (Romans 5.9,10)."

"Being now justified" is clear enough. "Now," does not mean off in the far distant future. Those "being now justified" are surely now delivered, or presently saved from their culpability. The next expression does place salvation in the future, however. "We shall be saved from wrath." "Shall be" was true when Paul penned it, and it is equally true today. As for the word, wrath, we understand its use in this verse to mean the final doom of the unsaved. We see, then, salvation in verse 9 to be both present and future, yet one whole salvation.

Verse 10 of Romans 5 employs a division of present salvation from future salvation as well. "We were reconciled to God" cannot possibly be construed to mean a future salvation any more than "being reconciled" can. In this text reconciliation to God is essentially the same as being saved from enmity, or as it is stated in verse 8, "While we were yet sinners." Again, however, verse 10 shifts from present salvation to future salvation with the following language: "we shall be saved by his life." No one with a grain of honesty could make shall be anything but future.

Salvation, as used here is what we might call a multi-dimensional work. First, last, and always, "Salvation is of the Lord." Probably the most irrefutable text dealing with future salvation is "....for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed (Romans 13.11)." If Paul's, and the Roman's, salvation was nearer than at the time they believed then belief did not accomplish for them that future salvation. They yet awaited it.

God bless,

Brother Joe

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are referring to the "ordo salutis." Yes, most theologians put regeneration before salvation. However most of them are honest enough to admit that the entire "process" if it can be called a "process," is simultaneous. It all happens at the same time. The ordo salutis is simply for our understanding, trying to figure out what God already knows. The reality is that they happen at the same time.
    Look at this way. When I witness to people I do not always use the same method. I do the sowing and the watering but God gives the increase; He is the one that does the reaping.. Do you agree with that?
    Depending on the person and the situation I may use John chapter 3 and tell him the way of salvation just as Christ witnessed to Nicodemus, or I may us Scripture primarily provided Paul from Romans who also spoke very eloquently about salvation. If God is in it the result will be the same. The person will be saved. Regeneration and salvation are, in effect, the same thing. The person will be both regenerated and saved in that moment of decision, when "he calls upon the name of the Lord." For all practical purposes it is the same thing. They take place at the same time. Only theologians quibble about the ordo salutis.
    There is nothing there about salvation in time past, nor is that relevant to an unsaved person coming to Christ.

He is an eschatological reference. We shall be saved from the wrath of Hell. And we shall be saved from the wrath to come which shall take place in the coming Tribulation. The saved are not appointed unto wrath. In that verse the "we" is obviously pointing to the believers, not directing us to the unbelievers.

The subject "we" shows what happened in our past salvation. You seem to be very confused on this subject going back and forth. Some times you are looking to the future.
    "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." Of course it looks to the future. It is speaking of an unsaved man.
    Now you are speaking of a believer that can look back to the time that he was saved or reconciled to the cross. What confusion is in your mind!

Now you confuse the entire matter of salvation (that is the original subject of justification) with the general subject of the entirety of salvation which we were not talking about in the first place. You have changed the subject.
    When Paul said to the jailer: "Believe on the Lord Jesus and thou shalt be saved," he was not speaking about "and thou shalt be "glorified," but that is what you are bringing in here.
    Most of us do know that in a very general sense salvation includes justification, sanctification and glorification. But the subject here was not speaking of sanctification and glorification. You have changed the subject from justification to glorification;.

7. BrotherJoseph

Brother DHK,

Hello. I disagree that all of salvation occurs at once simultaneously. Paul said he was saved before the world began (2 Timothy 1:9), when Jesus came into the world (1 Timothy 1:15), when the Spirit regenerated him (Titus 3:5), when he took heed to himself and the doctrine (1 Timothy 4:16), and would be saved sometime in the future (Romans 13:11).

The ETERNAL PHASE is God's plan and choice from eternity to save His elect from sin. Since He is eternal and sovereign, God planned in eternity all that He does in time. In God's purpose we were saved before the world began, this is why Christ is said to be the "Lamb slain before the foundation of the world". This phase is here, "9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began," (2 Timothy 1:9)

The LEGAL PHASE is God's work to satisfy His holy nature and perfect justice for the salvation of His elect. Because every sin must be punished, He sent a Substitute to die for their sins. His perfect holiness and justice cannot overlook sins and acquit wicked men. He must punish their sins in Another, even Jesus Christ. And this He did at the crucifixion of Jesus Christ 2000 years ago. This phase is here, "For by one offering he hath (Past tense) perfected for ever them that are sanctified" (Hebrews 10:14), and here, "For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son," (Romans 5:10). The reconciliation occurred 2,000 years ago, this is also one of the many reasons the atonement itself was limited. You would have the atonement only potentially accomplishing many aspects of salvation such as reconciliation, justification, etc., but I maintain it actually accomplished such as Jesus said "It is finished" and he meant it, also "Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him." (Romans 5:9). Legal justification occurred 2,000 years ago on the cross, not at the point of one's faith in Christ. If you believe one is justified legally before God at the point of placing faith in the gospel (I am pretty sure this is what you believe), can you name me one other thing in life that by believing it, it becomes a fact? We believe something because it is fact, not to make it a fact. Perception does not determine reality. If believing Christ died and rose for our sins then justifies us legally at that time before God, this would mean perception determines reality and we know that is false.

The VITAL PHASE is God's application of these benefits to us personally and individually. Though He planned to save us from eternity and legally did so with Christ's death on the cross, we still have a depraved and wicked nature at enmity with Him. So He regenerates us into a new life by His Spirit and gives us a new heart that loves Him and righteousness. This is being born again, and it is done entirely by the power of God sometime during our lives. This phase is seen here, "5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;" (Titus 3:5). Those dead in sins that he died for our made alive by being born from above by the Holy Spirit's sovereign power much like Christ was born a man by the Holy Ghost (though of course he had no sinful flesh as he did not descend from a blood standpoint from Adam seminally).

The PRACTICAL PHASE is our response to His salvation. With new hearts from regeneration, we seek the truth and love it when we hear it. We hear the gospel, and we believe it. This is being "justified" by faith and it is an experimental justification, not a legal one (the legal justification occurred 2,000 years ago on the cross). It is how a born again child of God learns who saved them and how they saved them, so the child of God can Glorify God. This phase is seen here, " our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:" (2 Timothy 1:10). Notice the gospel does not bring "life and immortality" it only brings it "to light". Why? Because the born again child of God already possess "life and immortality" before they hear the gospel being regenerated by the Holy Ghost and legally justified 2,000 years ago by the blood of Christ. Brother DHK, if something is said to bring something "to light", doesn't it mean that whatever is bought "to light" was already there, that the light just made it manifest to the person in their life experience?

The FINAL PHASE is that great day in the future when we shall be declared the sons of God to the whole universe and enter heaven for eternity. Our bodies will be raised from graves and glorified into new spiritual bodies and have are fleshly bodies adopted, and we will be thoroughly purged from all sin to be perfectly holy in His presence forever. This great conclusion to the plan of salvation is yet in the future. It is seen here, "11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed." (Romans 13:11) and here, "And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body (Romans 8:23) I believe this is what Paul was referring to when he said to the jailor "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved". It is a simple statement of fact those that believe will be saved. Consider this similar verse, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved" (Mark 16:16). I doubt you would contend this verse is saying you have to be baptized to be saved, no rather it is saying that those that both believe the gospel and are then baptized is an evidence that once is and most certainly will be saved. Belief is not the cause of being saved as you maintain. Paul's statement to the jailor is not an offer, but merely a statement of fact. If I say "if you have the fruits of the Holy Spirit you shall be saved", is that an offer? No but it is a true statement of fact. The jailor was under the conviction of the Holy Ghost, but like most men who have never heard the gospel he was mistaken thinking there was something he must do to get to heaven, rather than correct his ignorant question that I believe was asked with a good intent, thus rather than correct him Paul answers him by declaring that believe and you will be saved. A statement of fact we can both agree on, that is all those who believe will be saved, not an offer as you propose it is. Sorry for the long post.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You realize that what you are saying is that men can be saved and lost at the same time. We are all born in sin and thus all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

We may have been chosen before creation. Although there is a huge difference between being chosen and being saved. Other wise men would be saved and lost at the same time

Brother Joseph;
    If men were saved before they believed then at least one of the 66 books in the Bible would say so. plainly it wouldn't just drop hints. None of them do, not one. In fact they all say to believe and we shall be saved. I've been told by Calvinist that we can't be saved because we do not understand the gospel until we are saved. How ever the Bible does mention the opening of a few minds, so they could believe. Yet The opening of the mind is not regeneration or it would have been called regeneration.

The wrath Paul is speaking about does not come when sinners die. The wrath he is speaking of is the tribulation period. What comes after the death of those not saved is judgement. At least its the next thing they become aware of. What happens after judgement is punishment.
    I'm sorry but the Bible when read with an open mind says just the opposite of what you claim these verses say. This one for example
    Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

The times of refreshing or making us new comes only after we have repented and been converted.
    This verse tells us that we do participate in our Salvation. We can ask and be saved.

Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Luk 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Mary Magdalene had chosen Christ.

Luk 10:42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
    That good Part was Christ.
    .Paul wrote
    Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

I freely admit that Christ chooses us first yet, we also must choose Him. This is why it's called a relationship and not just merely Master and slave.
    Some say this is a works salvation. when I've only done what scripture teaches. Some say faith is a gift but what they don't mention is that it's the faith of Christ and not mans
    MB

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We probably never will agree.
    Let me sum it up this way.
    The Philippian jailer did not look back to eternity past for his salvation. He did not look past any further than the cross. The command was: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved."
    Hindsight is better than foresight.
    Now, having the entire canon, all 66 books of the Bible, and thousands of theology books besides that, you look back over the last 2,000 years and draw conclusions that those who have already gone before you have already believed.
    That is not the way the Philippian jailer looked at. He simply believed in Christ and was saved. He didn't have to become the theologian you are setting forth. Salvation to the jailor was a one time act, a one time event that happened at that time, not in eternity past, but then, when he called upon the name of the Lord, not well into the future at the time of glorification, but then, at that time when he called on the name of the Lord. That is what Paul taught him, and that is what we all ought to believe.

10. BrotherJoseph

Brother,

Well we can agree on one thing and that is we will probably never agree on the jailor! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, with a couple minor modifications.

As the account given to the jailer did not include Paul discussing a lot of theology, you are correct. The story does not include all that happened.

Romans 5 does give the more systematic ground of what actually occurs with every believer.
    10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. 11 And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.​

There is then that past reconciliation work that was done at the cross. For me that work was not exclusive, but for all the world. Some will disagree, but frankly, it really doesn't matter. I include everyone, some exclude everyone.

There is that future salvation in which we shall all (believers) be changed. No more a part of the corruption or decay of this life. I look longingly for that graduation.

There is that present reconciliation that the believer knows that nothing can separate them from the family. They cannot be disowned by the father, not un-adopted as His child.

The jailer had no need of this understanding, he had other needs on his heart.

So it is that very last sentence of your post in which brings a slight exercising to my reading.
    "That is what Paul taught him, and that is what we all ought to believe."​

There are some that are brought to Christ (imo) who bust in as the jailer, and others that need the more thorough approach, such as Nicodemus. Perhaps, you are saying that believers are believers because thy all believe, but not coming to Christ through the same technique of how the message is delivered. That we all ought to present the gospel as "believe on the Lord..."

I like what you said, that you are not shackled to a single approach. I witnessed a person who became a believer, and because he hadn't prayed the "sinners prayer" a pastor did not consider him saved.

My heart rejoiced that you are not such a presenter of the truth!

But, I also agree with Joseph's post (#427). So, how do I like and agree with both?

Because I see that the differences may not be as contrasting and contrary, but rather a matter of standing on the same peek, looking over the scenery and writing about what they see. Each standing on the same peek of belief, yet the view described is because one isn't looking in the same direction as the other. :)

12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you absolutely that no one has to become a theologian in order to be saved. But what does believing in Christ entail? I think these verses may help us.

Luke 24:46-48. 'Then He said to them, "Thus it is written and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And you are witnesses of these things."'

So when Paul and Silas 'Spoke the word of the Lord to [the jailor] and all who were in his house' (Acts 16:32), there was a minimum of information that they must have imparted if they were to obey the Lord's command. They must have taught the jailor about the suffering, death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ, explained to him that he was by nature a sinner and under the wrath of God, called on him to repent of his sins, and assured him that if he trusted in Jesus Christ, his sins would be forgiven. That seems to me to be entailed in the words of our Lord given above, and an absolute minimum to be believed for salvation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, I agree with that. He very well could have heard many things about Christ through their singing and praying and just in public because of the reason they were thrown in prison. It wasn't a secret.

14. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that you are supposing that the jailor believed in Christ immediately Paul and Silas spoke to him in verse 31. There is no reason to think that. I think it is more than likely that he replied along the lines of, "Who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?" (John 9:36), and it wasn't until after Paul and Silas had spoken the word to him in v.32, that he believed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There would be no reason for the jailer to remove Paul and Silas from the jail, had he not believed. To delay the belief is to suppose he would need further information, rather than being set upon the road of disciple by the Word.

But, there is much room to speculate.

It seems the story isn't laid out completely in chronological detail of order in the Acts.
    31 They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
    An immediate answer to the jailer's question. 32 And they spoke the word of the Lord to him together with all who were in his house.​

So did they leave the jail immediately, or did the household come to the jailer to enquirer of his welfare after the earthquake? The "in his house" of verse 32 may indicate that everyone in the house came to make certain of the welfare. But then maybe not. There is no indication of geographical change until the 34 verse.

33 And he took them that very hour of the night and washed their wounds, and immediately he was baptized, he and all his household. 34 And he brought them into his house and set food before them, and rejoiced greatly, having believed in God with his whole household.​

Some may say, "Well he came, presented the Gospel, and then they left to be baptized, and then returned for medical treatment." None of that is indicated in the Scriptures.

In my own opinion, the jailer would remain on his post, and the household come to him. He and they then heard the presentation of the Word, believing. The whole of those incarcerated were either compelled to go with them to the baptism, or placed in the care of another guard (which was more likely). Then on the way to the jailer's house, the household was baptized, and the medical treatment received once they reached the house.

There is plenty of room for others to speculate.

The point being that the jailer and all in that man's house believed. The "time line" and exactly when belief occurred may be open for opinion. We may have to inquire of the man at a later point.

16. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagreed with this Sister because of its abuse. I'll use myself for an example. I knew that God existed since I was a very tiny boy. I knew what Jesus did and also the Holy Spirit. In my wildest days, if someone would have asked me if God was real, I'd said 'yes'. If they would have asked me if I believed Jesus died for me I would have said 'yes'. Most would then pounce and say all I have to do is recite the 'Roman's Road', be baptized, and presto-change, I'm saved.

People have reduced salvation down to what they did, and not what Christ did. It's 'I said the prayer', 'I walked the aisle', 'I raised my hand', &c.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, and then take such behavior over to that other forum and do it again.

#437 Revmitchell, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to believe that one goes from total unbelief to total belief instantly. That was not my experience of my salvation; was it yours?

As I suggested in my earlier posts, it seems that this jailor was under conviction before he ever spoke to Paul and Silas. Then, when they bade him believe on Christ for salvation, he thought, "Wow! I need to hear more about this!" So he frees P and S and takes them to his house and cleans them up. Whether he cleans them up before or after he takes them home is not really relevant- the text suggests after- and they preach the word to him and his family, and they believe.

But to suggest that the jailor believed without repenting means that Paul must have disregarded both the instructions of the Lord Jesus (Luke 24:46-48) and his own usual practice (Acts 26:20).

• Like Like x 1
  19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are as varied experiences of salvation as their are believers. That is what testimony of salvation is all about. Not everyone is awakened to the need of Christ in the same time line or under the same circumstances.

As I said in my post, one can speculate over the sequencing, and as I expressed by using the passage, what may have occurred by focusing upon the earthquake and the reaction of folks who have family.

What you may have been looking for and not stated is the repenting. There is no repenting mentioned in the selection concerning the jailer.

However, one cannot be saved without Godly sorrow, and no doubt in my thinking such would have also be self evident by the jailer's desperate cry of what does he need to do.

Seems (imo) that he was under the conviction that something was amiss, that he was in need of salvation, and such comes from a repentant heart.

So, although the passage doesn't declare repentance, the action of the jailer and response by the Apostle would indicate that such had already occurred.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't think my experience was much different and that is without any supernatural phenomena. Certainly an earthquake, the chains falling off the prisoners (and still they did not escape), the prison door miraculously opening, would convince anyone that Paul and Silas's God is the true God. Compare the situation here to Elijah on Mount Carmel. What was the people's reaction: "The Lord he is God; The Lord He is God!" There was a fear that came into the heart of the jailer which we may call conviction as well. He trembled as he brought out Paul and Silas, obviously from great conviction. He was no doubt sorry that he was the one ever involved in this mess of jailing two Roman citizens in the first place. They weren't guilty of any crime and he probably knew that.

What must I do to be saved? He must have had some knowledge. Where from?
    Through the singing of Paul and Silas; through the charges brought against Paul and Silas (preaching the gospel--what is that?); through the controversy (the gospel) that was being spread all throughout the city. Now he just had to believe (have faith). Faith and repentance go hand in hand. One cannot have faith without repentance. If he believes that Christ is Lord then repentance is present. How can he believe that Christ is now Lord of his life unless he has changed his mind and attitude toward God which is what repentance is?
    I believe he repented right there and then, and afterward Paul preached to the rest of his family.